• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What the fsck is that annoying robot voice in nearly all pop music produced nowadays?

socko

Bluelighter
It's the gimmicky sound that plagues ALL of the junk_pop radio stations nowadays. It sounds like a robot or a heavily processed voice "singing" in 99% of pop audios produced nowadays. "Top 40" aka pop stations are the worst offenders broadcasting this stuff.

At first I thought it was some kind of retro thing like 1982s "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Then "Kid Rock" and "M&Ms" abused the fsck out of it in 1999. More and more mass produced corporate performers joined the trend and now 99% of all pop acts abuse it now.

At least Styx was kind of interesting when they did it because it is one of the first historical examples. And in their defense, it was a robot character doing the voice in their song, so they had a reason to show off the (new at the time) technology . But now every mickey mouse pop act does it, and it will not go away soon. I hate it. It hurts my ears and I cannot stand to be in any shop or restaurant that plays it. I even have to put in ear plugs sometimes. Here are some modern examples:

Here is one very painful example by Maître Gims Laissez Passer. It is french, but I can't tell wtf they're saying even if it is in english when they do this. On the Scale of Listening Painfulness, I give it a 9 out of 10. It is also the sound of Daft Punk, another painful act to listen to, but at least their characters are supposed to be robots. Nothing against EDM, but this group is usually unbearable.

And moderately painful track by Felix Jaehn Aint Nobody. Not the worst example - there are many more who abuse this gimmicky sound effect worse than this exaple. On the Pain Scale I give it a 5 out of 10.

So, what is it? Why does it exist? And who in their right mind would listen to this?

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out where that Ain't Nobody song originated. My first thought was Diana Ross but I guess its Chaka Khan.

socko said:
So, what is it?

I think it might be a Vocoder

perhaps some other synth effect..

You all are right. I looked up vocoder and autotune and found this funny spoof of the effect:
Akon calls TPain
[video]https://youtu.be/0wcU4ysY7-Y[/video]
I don't see the appeal. Hip hop and rap that don't use it (like Jay Z) sound much better. It reminds me of those cheesy Casio keyboards everybody had in Middle School.

Last edited:
Thing I find funny is that auto tune only creates that effect if you intentionally misuse it and sing extremely poorly on purpose. I agree, it's extremely annoying 99% of the time.