• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What roles do the GABA subunits have in our bodily chemistry?

Amer2560

Greenlighter
I'm aware that different benzos target different GABA receptor subunits (im pretty sure?), and because of this they have different albeit similar effects. My question is how do each of the subunits effects differ compared to one and other. For example, what subjective/biological effects does a drug that targets the alpha-subunit specifically differ in subjective effect from a drug that targets beta subunits or messes with positive and negative ion channels (or whatever... I'm not particularly well versed in this stuff). So I suppose what I'm trying to get at is what roles do the different GABA subunits have on our brains and bodies?

Furthermore, how do Z-drugs and gabapentinoids differ in MOA to classic benzos?

AFAIK Z-drugs specifically target GABA A1 subunits which is largely responsible for the hypnotic effects. Some of them like zolpidem are more selective than others. There is a thread somewhere on bluelight with subunits explained and matched with benzos. Gabapentinoids act on VDCC, but don't agonize GABA receptors themselves.

This is a pretty technical and complex question. I don't think it's possible to answer all of that in one post (maybe someone will prove me wrong).

Best I can do right now is provide some sources:
gaba-a.png