• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What reasons are there that methadone clinics deny treatment to people?

gmaildotjuno

Greenlighter
I want to begin going to a methadone clinic, but I have put it off for a long time due to fear of being denied treatment.

What reasons do clinics deny people?

It has been several years since I took anything. I cannot afford to spend the money nor get a criminal record, so methadone seems like the only option, since suicide or moving to another country are not options for me. I chose not to take methadone in the past to avoid a medial record that could be potentially used against me. I've tried everything I could think of to make life tolerable, including anti-depressants (legally prescribed to me) and Kratom, which is legal in my state (I live in Massachusetts by the way.) Kratom and the anti-depressants do help a tiny bit, but nowhere near enough to make life tolerable. I cannot continue without a solution. The longer I put off taking methadone, the worse life gets.

Do you have an opiate addiction? If you don?t, you?re going to have a hard time getting in the door.

For the record, I don?t recommend creating a habit for this reason.

I honestly cannot figure out for myself a precise definition of addiction. Context seems to require different definitions. So I do not know if I am addicted.

If you are in the states, the definition used will be as defined by the DSM-V. Basically, if you have experienced or are experienced things like tolerance, preoccupation(thought and time), risk taking, negative social impacts, avoid or fail to fulfill responsibilities, then you would or could be diagnosed with a substance use disorder, or in this case an opioid use disorder. The majority, if not all, of recreational opioid users could be diagnosed with a opioid use disorder. There is a spectrum from mild to severe, so you don't have to be mainlining to be considered.

Preventing relapse or managing cravings are considered to be legitimate uses for methadone. It would depend on the specific clinic though, not all are publicly funded so there is a wide range of how they are run.

From what I understand from the 1 person I knew that used a methadone clinic, he said you had to have drugs in your system or be in bad withdrawal.

I honestly don't know what they would do if someone who hasn't taken drugs in years walked in wanting to join the program. I don't advocate getting addicted to go there, but if you truly need to go perhaps you could take some type of opiate the day before and the day you go so something shows up. I almost hate typing that and yet I feel it may be your only option.

I live in Spain and here if you go to a methadone / buprenorphine center for maintenance treatment they analyze your orin and if the result is positive in heroin (is really morphine what is detected in orin taking horse) they wait until you are cold turkey and then they give you a dose of methadone starting by low dose and getting it up until the cold turkey stops. So your methadone dose is stablish and every week you go to the clinic and they give you seven doses in seven methadone tablets of your dose.

I tapered off from 500mg daily dose of oxycodone and stayed clean for a month or so and couldn't take it anymore and I was recommended ORT with Suboxone which I started and stayed on a year until I got other areas of my life stable and stopped taking Suboxone and switched to oxycodone again for few months and tapered down.

Depends on your provider how they determine if you still would benefit from ORT although you are already being clean.