• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What opiate withdrawal symptoms can Gabapentin help with?

It helps w everything about opiate w/d....but not forever. It helps w tapering off of opiates. My experience is I can get about five or six days out of it. And then the withdrawal breaks through, and you are in an advanced stage, because the Lyrica was masking the symptoms, not taking them away.

Once, I took about six hundred mg's, fell asleep for six hours, woke up at 3a.m. and immediately was violently vomitting. What a shit day that was. I shudder thinking about it. That is my personal experience. Everyone is different.
So do you think lyrica is hitting opiate receptors and just making your withdrawal longer?

So do you think lyrica is hitting opiate receptors and just making your withdrawal longer?

Nope. That particular novel effect that lyrica/gabapentin gives really only lasts a week if your lucky. If you are already dependent on lyrica or gaba, it will help wd but not to the extent it would if you are naive.

Of course you don't want to pick up another habit with the gabapentin, but I believe that withdrawal is not only dependent on the individual, but more dependent on how long you take it consistently for, as opposed to the magnitude of your dosing. I've used it to kick many times, up to 2 weeks straight if necessary, and never had any withdrawal using in the range of 2-3grams daily.

For me, it alleviates nearly all withdrawal symptoms if the dose is high enough and if everything "clicks" internally, since the oral bioavailability is very sketchy and inconsistent at times. All that ever remains is some light chills and fatigue, although the latter might make be the gabapentin itself making you spaced out feeling; the best way to describe it is "loopy." It isn't necessarily a pleasant buzz but when you are jonesing anything disassociative can be a plus...

Gabapentin is ESSENTIAL for opiate withdrawal...for me anyway..
I start out taking 600 mg. And then 300 mg per hour until I reach 1200-1800 mg.
This dose gets me through the worst part of my day. I still have pain in my muscles but the gabapentin makes it bearable .
I take Ibuprofen...and lomotil or loperamide with it after the first two to three days.
Be careful though. You also have to wean off of the gabapentin. I try not to take high doses more than 6-7 days... Then I generally go back to 300 mg three times a day....
Hope this helps.

I was prescribed Gabapentin for opiate withdrawl as well, and it didn't do shit for any of my symptoms. (Its for nerve pain, right? Not sure how thats relevant).

I found that the best thing for opiate withdrawal was actually Clonidine, which is for blood pressure. I was able to put off taking suboxone for like 2 days when I was detoxing from Oxycodone just because I was on Clonidine, and nothing else.

When I was weaning off of Suboxone I got RLS realllly bad, and my doctor gave me some Requip (Ropinirole), which was awesome. I was finally able to get some sleep!