• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What on earth is tramadol

First off it’s not an opioid.

Secondly, if you are on antidepressants or benzodiazepines this shit will mess you up.

seratonine syndrome kicked in for me the one time I took 20 mg of tramadol for tooth pain.

It is an opioid though, as it hits opioid receptors, but is even more strongly an SNRI. Its primary metabolite O-desmethyltramadol is a much stronger opioid. It is available as an RC and is purely an opioid and NRI. Tramadol itself is a weak opioid, but some people metabolize tramadol more effectively than others into O-desmethyltramadol. That's why some people get much better effects from tramadol than others. But everyone gets at least some opioid effects.

Is 80mg of oxy really that much? I find 240mg of DHC does more than 80mg of oxy. I've not used that much oxy for more than a day or 2, and usually just stick to 20-30mg though so maybe long term use is different. But even when I've been on +500mg of DHC a day for long periods I could still feel even just 100mg of Tramadol. I seem to just get the ssri/snri effects though, with almost no opioid feelings other than removal of WDs.

80 milligrams is a lot, lol. I've been on and off things and consistently on kratom for 4 years now. Not one high have I taken--wait nevermind. One time 90 milligrams was just to see what stronger doses were like, lol. I honestly found that 90 milligrams is no better than 30 milligrams.. just "stronger" but lacking in extra euphoria and etcetera. Something as life-destroying as oxycodone is probably better off split off into several doses so you can ruin your life consistently throughout the day. Instead of getting so high and then in withdrawal all over again.

I think out of everything I like fent the most. Then again, if you do happen to live... the withdrawal is prettyyyyy bad. Very fun.

As I might have said once before. What is on earth is pretty much anything besides your basic heroin, amphetamine, LSD, weed, and ketamine. #traditionalist #conservative #boomer. I’ve lost track of the number of drugs with huge followings here that I have no idea what they are and what they do. In every category. Someone should make a FAQ or glossary so old people can catch up.

Depending on your body chemistry and if you have the right liver enzymes, tramadol can be a pretty decent opioid.

Tramadol itself is a parent drug and has very weak mu agonism. But when taken orally and converted by the liver, around 1.5hrs, it becomes O-desmethyltramadol and is a very decent opioid in my opinion. It also weakly releases serotonin (i.e. - meth, mdma) but is also a reuptake inhibitor of serotonin and norepinephrine. This is why you hear people referring to it as "stimulating".

Tramadol also has effects I believe on nicotine receptors, ndma receptors and some other obscure receptors that nobody talks about, which are unique to tramadol and not typical of other opiates or opioids. Some may find this dirties up the experience, but I actually enjoyed some of the unique characteristics.

O-desmethyltramadol is a full agonist at the mu-receptor. And kratom is only a partial agonist. So I don't agree with the person who said kratom was stronger than tramadol. Although it could be for people who lack the liver enzymes needed to convert it.

I was addicted to it for over 10 years. 400mg spread out through the day was my usual dose. Some times it had me nodding as hard as heroin (which I didn't get to try until later on in my opioid career). It made music sound incredible and gave me boundless energy as well.

Anything under 400mg either didn't work at all or had barely perceivable effects. I'm not sure why this was. Even when I would go through withdrawal and come back to it, I still had to go up to 400mg to get an effect.

So if you have a low tolerance and the right enzymes, tramadol can be pretty good.

I found now though after having done heroin and buprenorphine for years, that the magic to tramadol has some how disappeared (even with tolerance breaks). Maybe my liver changed as I got older or something, but it just doesn't hit me the same way it did when I was in my 20's. But I still have very very fond memories of things I use to do on tramadol. I absolutely loved it.

I also went through tramadol withdrawal every single month from the ages of 19 to 30. It is a horrible experience that goes beyond just the physical opioid symptoms. I felt like I was completely losing my mind on tramadol withdrawal. And to think most of those years, it was marketed as "non addictive". I don't regret my days on tramadol though. I think it's a complex synthetic opioid though and there are so many factors that can influence whether or not some one will have an enjoyable time with it, nothing or even a seizure.

Everyone is different though, so it's amazing how many differences there are among people trying the same drug.
Coming off 10 years norco/tramadol..
The merry-go-round

I staggered them, but as you mentioned, the wd is tough sht

Have had almost no meds for 9 days..
Trams are calling my name..

Attempting to live with chronic pain w/o rxs...

I find trams to have almost the same effect as a norco or something at higher doses, that warm fuzzy feeling isn’t as up in your face as a traditional opiate but it’s definitely there in the background with waves of really feeling it, and I’m taking it only a week out from a larger dope habit I imagine if I took it after no opiates for a month 100-200mg would get me high as shit

I used to fuck with tramadol for a while when I was a lot younger, 24-26, and while I occasionally got some decent highs I ended up in hospital following a seizure after a night using it with pregabs (which surprised me given the anti seizure properties of pregabalin) and then the following day my housemate was hospitalised for the very same reason. Same to say we’ve stayed away ever since. Very average ‘opiate’ with very often nasty consequences.

Just wanted to add to this thread. I was recently in Mexico where Tramadol is not only available everywhere, it's dirt cheap. I paid -snip- for 60 100mg pills. And then they guys said he had a 2 for 1 sale going so I got 120 of them. These guys (in a seeming legit pharmacy) were also selling morphine, oxy and hydro but for outrageous prices. At the time I was taking suboxone and I'm not sure why I bought the tramadol, but I'm glad I did.

I decided to drop the suboxone early this week, I have been taking it for 10 years and I was down to about 1mg per day and I know you should go a lot less than that but I have better luck cold turkey and I had the week between christmas and new years off work.

First day the w/d started, 2nd day they were bad, you all know how bad w/d can be. I grabbed 2 50mg tramadol and although it takes awhile, it all but killed my withdrawal. I have enough to last me a long time and I'm operating on the assumption that tapering off tramadol will be easier for me than tapering off sub. We're all different, I loved suboxone, but I never really cared for tramadol. Docs would give it to me to try to get me off hydrocodone, for me it's a very poor substitute. I used to feel energy, but no euphoria.

I'm taking 400-500 mg per day and the plan is to get down to something like 20 or 10 and then see if I can drop. I'm going back to Mexico this month and I'll see if I can get some smaller dose pills so I don't have to deal with crumbs.

For me tramadol is a viable alternative to a 'real' opiate, but we'll see if that pans out. One thing is for sure, I can't go back to hydro or oxy and it's impossible to get and the stuff in Mexico is legit but crazy overpriced. like -snip- for a 10mg norco. It would be a -snip- day habit and I just can't afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tramadol works well for some people who are efficient metabolizers of it, which produces a lot of o-desmethyltrsmsdol which is s much nicer opioid. For those who do not metabolize it well, it is weak and not that great. Like myself, I seem to be a poor metabolizer and can take 500mg and not even get much, and no seizures. A buddy of mine takes 150mg and finds it almost too much and absolutely loves it.
Yeah I was given it once in hospital in a cocktail with some 2 other painkillers. Didn't like it and it barely touched the pain.

Just wanted to add to this thread. I was recently in Mexico where Tramadol is not only available everywhere, it's dirt cheap. I paid -snip- for 60 100mg pills. And then they guys said he had a 2 for 1 sale going so I got 120 of them. These guys (in a seeming legit pharmacy) were also selling morphine, oxy and hydro but for outrageous prices. At the time I was taking suboxone and I'm not sure why I bought the tramadol, but I'm glad I did.

I decided to drop the suboxone early this week, I have been taking it for 10 years and I was down to about 1mg per day and I know you should go a lot less than that but I have better luck cold turkey and I had the week between christmas and new years off work.

First day the w/d started, 2nd day they were bad, you all know how bad w/d can be. I grabbed 2 50mg tramadol and although it takes awhile, it all but killed my withdrawal. I have enough to last me a long time and I'm operating on the assumption that tapering off tramadol will be easier for me than tapering off sub. We're all different, I loved suboxone, but I never really cared for tramadol. Docs would give it to me to try to get me off hydrocodone, for me it's a very poor substitute. I used to feel energy, but no euphoria.

I'm taking 400-500 mg per day and the plan is to get down to something like 20 or 10 and then see if I can drop. I'm going back to Mexico this month and I'll see if I can get some smaller dose pills so I don't have to deal with crumbs.

For me tramadol is a viable alternative to a 'real' opiate, but we'll see if that pans out. One thing is for sure, I can't go back to hydro or oxy and it's impossible to get and the stuff in Mexico is legit but crazy overpriced. like -snip- for a 10mg norco. It would be a -snip- day habit and I just can't afford it.
Damn!!!
I'm moving to Mexico! Wtf!
Tramadol can be just like an other opioid if your tolerance allows for it.
I'd take 400mg of tramadol over 10mg of norco any day.

Tramadol seems to be much more stimulating & it puts me in a weird state of mind where I REALLY enjoy music!
I use to upload videos of music I'd listen to all the time while high on tramadol on my youtube channel. Ended up with like 2,000+ videos uploaded in the space of about 9 years. Now I'm lucky if I get in that fanatic mindset even once a year.
I could literally listen to industrial noise all day & not even feel bored.

Now I've been on buprenorphine for about 5 years & it completely lacks that motivation & music enhancement.,
Tramadol + Buprenorphine is actually pretty nice & could totally replace heroin for me if they'd let us use tramadol ontop of our suboxone.
I find tramadol still works, although the actual opioid effects I use to enjoy are gone. But I still find that taking tramadol ontop of my buprenorphiine seems to help with the depression & lethargy the buprenorphine gives me.

I used tramadol monthly for about 8 years before I ever got to try heroin. And by then I almost already knew what heroin was gonna feel like based on all my tramadol experiences. But of course heroin is still superior to either tramadol or buprenorphine.

I'm now 13 days into being off suboxone and taking still about 400 mg of Tramadol a day. I don't have a serious withdrawals, but I'm perpetually exhausted, just lifeless. I took a week of work and I'm back today I can barely keep my eyes open. I don't know what to do. Is it lingering W/D two weeks out?

I'm going to see my primary care doc in a week and ask about adderall which I was prescribed after an ADHD diagnosis, but then my suboxone Dr. didn't like that so that was the end of that. While taking it I felt less depressed and exhausted. I was taking 30mg day.