• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What might happen to my liver if I keep abusing this method?

Hugs For Drugs

Bluelighter
I took 2 pills of acetaminophen 500mg extra strength pain relief

For a small head ache I had

Then I decided to drink some beer after that even tho the acetaminophen bottle said not to.

Then I started feeling this cool fuzzy dizzy feeling after drinking some beer.

I only did this 1 time.

What would happen if I do it again?

Scientifically speaking what would happen to my liver if I keep doing it?

Youre going to be fine. Thats well below the 4g a day maximum for Tylenol. Alcohol is not a good mixture at any level really, but just this once? Youll be okay. The liver is resilient.

Just dont make a habit of it, okay? Id strongly suggest do NOT drink if you are using Tylenol. And if youre going to pick one or the other for whatever pain youre in, take the Tylenol and get some rest.

@Hugs For Drugs

My mom takes an 800 mg ibuprofen every morning for her hangover while definitely still intoxicated and has for 30 years. Either our Irish heritage makes her liver invincible or it’s not that serious.

Still I’d avoid it

Right now? Nothing will happen.
Next time? Again almost certainly nothing.

Not a good idea to do it all the time though.

My mom takes an 800 mg ibuprofen every morning for her hangover while definitely still intoxicated and has for 30 years. Either our Irish heritage makes her liver invincible or it’s not that serious.

Still I’d avoid it

Ibuprofen isn't acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is generally harder on your liver. Ibuprofen has different risks.

At the end of the day, these are risks, some people can take the risk their whole lives and never have a problem, others have a problem much sooner.

I certainly wouldn't recommend taking 800mg ibuprofen for a hangover every day for decades. A lot of this can vary with age. The risks go up as you get older. Again that doesn't mean something will happen, just that it gets riskier.

I took 2 pills of acetaminophen 500mg extra strength pain relief

For a small head ache I had

Then I decided to drink some beer after that even tho the acetaminophen bottle said not to.

Then I started feeling this cool fuzzy dizzy feeling after drinking some beer.

I only did this 1 time.

What would happen if I do it again?

Scientifically speaking what would happen to my liver if I keep doing it?

I sense some bullshittery going on here (and that bath salts post).

Acetominophen (apap) is toxic because it forms a reactive metabolite called NAPQI which will bind to random proteins in the liver cells where it is formed. This metabolite is created due to alternative metabolism by the liver enzymes CYP3A4 (minor) and CYP2E1 (major).

APAP is primary metabolized through conjugation with glucuronic acid. High doses of apap will temporarily exhaust glucuronidation pathways and the residual apap is metabolized to napqi via the cyp enzymes.

Drinking alcohol will induce CYP2E1 (it will increase the amount of gene expression, resulting in more active enzyme in your liver). This results in increased formation of NAPQI, and therefore more toxicity at any given dose.

Ibuprofen does not have the same metabolic issues. The main toxicities of ibuprofen are due to the mechanism of action of the drug (inhibiting the cyclooxygenase enzymes COX1 and 2). These are key in creating inflammatory prostaglandins, but also create prostaglandins that stimulate gastric mucosa production and increase blood flow to the kidneys.

Ibuprofen (and other nonselective cox inhibitors) can cause ulcers by making your stomach less resistent to stomach acid. This can be worsened by the irritating effects of alcohol.

Long term high doses of ibuprofen (or similar cox inhibitors) will reduce blood flow to the kidneys and damage them that way. This toxicity is less sensitive to alcohol consumption.