• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What medication is the most effective to sedate/relax you??

Neutralview

Greenlighter
So most of the doctors around here( I live in Manchester in the UK) & even my psychiatrist is either refusing to prescribe benzos or refusing to increase my dose ( I'm prescribed 5mg of diazepam twice a day only!). So besides benzos which medication ( excluding drugs like opiates/cannabis/cocaine,etc) makes you the most sedated/stoned & high?? I'll describe how I feel everyday well most days: I'm restless, on edge, agitated, nervous(I'm a nervous wreck), anxious, mentally/emotionally unstable, uptight,socially awkward. I suffer from social anxiety,insomnia ( can't sleep at all),GAD & severe depression. So I need a medication to relax muscles(muscle relaxer),to make me feel calm,relaxed,to help me loosen up & to sedate me. Which medication is the best/most effective besides benzos?? Thanks

I wanted to create a poll but I can't so here a few options reply which medication is the best/most effective make you sedated/stoned:

• SSRI ( Prozac,Zoloft,Citalopram)
  • Non Benzos ( Eszopiclone,etc)
  • Beta blockers(Propanolol,etc)
  • MAOIS (Nardil,etc)
  • SNRIS(Effexor,etc)
  • Anti Psychotics(Seroquel,Abilify,Risperdal)
  • Antidepressents(Amitriptyline,Wellbutrin,Buspar,et c)
  • Benzos ( Diazepam,Xanax,etc)
  • Anti Convulsants ( Lyrica,etc)
  • Other (Please name which one)

Last edited:
Let me see if I understand what your wanting, you said "sedated/stoned & high" is that your goal or do you just want relief from your symptoms to feel "normal"? Possibly both? I have had all your symptoms and have taken everything on the market. I was on a high dose of diazepam which actually made me neurotic, up for days speeding around, never relaxed. I still take benzos but they have never made me "high or stoned". They only take the edge off barely. I have taken all the drugs you listed and none gave me a stoned feeling. Now the antipsychotics will bring you down closer to sedation but I felt like I was a thick headed zombie. No fun at all! As it turned out after years of every drug on the market for anxiety, mania, insomnia, neurosis and being a stressed out wreck. I gave up and just stay at home permanently. Recently I changed doctors and she said for all these years I could have had ADD. I called B.S. I'm too old for that. But she gave me a script and I don't get all speedy but relaxed and focused. I'm not saying that is what you have of course. But none of those drugs are going to get you high you mentioned, unless you feel benzos. If you really need the feeling of sedation and can still think clearly on them, antipsychotics. Other than that, go old school, like codiene cough syrup, barbiturates, or thorazine. But those are gonna get you real stoned and are hard for some to get. I have what they call a paradoxical effect to some drugs too, they do the opposite of what they are supposed to me. Your choices depend on what you really want, relief or a quick high. Personally I like both! Good luck and respect all substances!

So most of the doctors around here( I live in Manchester in the UK) & even my psychiatrist is either refusing to prescribe benzos or refusing to increase my dose ( I'm prescribed 5mg of diazepam twice a day only!). So besides benzos which medication ( excluding drugs like opiates/cannabis/cocaine,etc) makes you the most sedated/stoned & high?? I'll describe how I feel everyday well most days: I'm restless, on edge, agitated, nervous(I'm a nervous wreck), anxious, mentally/emotionally unstable, uptight,socially awkward. I suffer from social anxiety,insomnia ( can't sleep at all),GAD & severe depression. So I need a medication to relax muscles(muscle relaxer),to make me feel calm,relaxed,to help me loosen up & to sedate me. Which medication is the best/most effective besides benzos?? Thanks

You can employ other meds to try and balance this out, but I would strongly suggest some counseling to build the proper defense mechanisms for when these stresses arrive. They will come, it's a matter of when and to what degree.

here i am at 3:16 am wishing i knew ;)

I will say the tread is heavily slanted to the left (med changes). However, you will find a lot of help in this forum and others once your doctors prescribe a partiuclar regimine.

Stuff I have experience with:
Seroquel will knock you the fuck out, has been prescribed for anxiety and depression - imo it's like using the force of a hammer to thread a needle but some people swear by it. It's a potent antipsychotic drug and not one I'd be taking lightly. Hell I'm *supposed* to take it (bipolar) and I don't, really not keen on that side effect profile (that is of course, dose dependent)
Baclofen is a muscle relaxant that acts on GABA without being a sedative/anxiolytic drug but I do find it helps me sleep if I take it before bedtime and it is wonderful for muscle spasms.
Lyrica acts on GABA also but in a slightly different way. It's only prescribed for neuropathic pain where I live but I know it's prescribed for anxiety in other parts of the world, seemingly with some success.
Amitriptyline (Endep) is one of the older tricyclics that saw a resurgence when other uses were discovered for it - it's very good for sleep but will give you cotton mouth like you wouldn't believe.
If you search bluelight for these you'll find a heap of info and experiences, these are just my thoughts on drugs that fit the categories you're asking about. Personally I wouldn't recommend SSRI/SNRI/MAOI class meds, especially not for sleep, but everyone's experience is different

Cannabis....? Seems perfect.... I know some people aren't "allowed" to use cannabis which is a breach of personal freedom and also retarded, but I understand not wanting to rock the boat if you have a good corporate job or being worried about CPS if you have kids.

^ Yep cannabis is what I would say too if I had to name a substance. Benzos were unsustainable for me..

My doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine as sleep aid, and it works. A small dose (25mg) makes me very relaxed. (Some people take much higher doses, like 100mg)... But it leaves me somewhat groggy the next morning. I can get out of bed, but caffeine takes forever to kick in. I won't be fully awake until the afternoon ... but that may be because I'm rather sensitive to sedatives.

Drugs.com website says it's also prescribed for managing Pruritus (itching) by taking 25mg 3-4 times a day ... so, some people use a small dose throughout the day ... (I know I wouldn't be able to function if I'm sedated, but everyone is different).
https://www.drugs.com/hydroxyzine.html

Just my two cents :)

12.5- 25mg of Seroquel. I have tried everything my benzo tolerance is high and I am prescribed 3mg per day which does nothing. Low doses of Seroquel have been unbelievable in relaxing me at night when I get into a violent states, plus it helps me sleep 7-8 hours.

12.5- 25mg of Seroquel. I have tried everything my benzo tolerance is high and I am prescribed 3mg per day which does nothing. Low doses of Seroquel have been unbelievable in relaxing me at night when I get into a violent states, plus it helps me sleep 7-8 hours.

Is Seroquel more sedating at lower doses like 25mg or at higher doses like 300mg??

Cannabis....? Seems perfect.... I know some people aren't "allowed" to use cannabis which is a breach of personal freedom and also retarded, but I understand not wanting to rock the boat if you have a good corporate job or being worried about CPS if you have kids.

It's true weed/cannabis is less harmful to your health infact I dont think it damages your body/brain like benzos & alcohol does. But the question of this thread is what medication can a doctor/psychiatrist prescribe that is the most sedating?? Doctors are not gonna give you weed are they let alone for free. Also weed isn't cheap is it if you smoke a joint everyday or you buy weed every week it's gonna cost you a lot of money. It depends on the supplier but they could rip me off & ask for more money wheras getting prescribed medications(benzos/antipsychotics,etc) are free & alcohol is cheaper than weed isn't it??

What other meds have you tried besides the diazepam? I've been prescribed most of them on your list at one time or another. The most sedating for me were Seroquel, doxepin, amitriptyline, and mirtazapine. For sleep, doctors would probably start you on lower dose of Seroquel like 25-50 mg.

What other meds have you tried besides the diazepam? I've been prescribed most of them on your list at one time or another. The most sedating for me were Seroquel, doxepin, amitriptyline, and mirtazapine. For sleep, doctors would probably start you on lower dose of Seroquel like 25-50 mg.

I've tried lots of ineffective medications that didn't work: Citalopram,Sertraline,Effexor,Risperdal,Propanolol. I tried Abilify & it did work but the psychiatrist gave me the highest dose( 30mg!) from the start so if I was to take Abilify again 10mg or 15mg it wouldn't work I'd need 30mg.

The medications/combinations that have worked: Diazepam(above 20mg though), Xanax & Mirtazapine

I'd like to update i saw my psychiatrist this morning she's prescribed Seroquel to be taken with Mirtazapine & Diazepam(she didn't recommend Diazepam but as I'm already taking it she said I could take it)

So I'm prescribed 30mg of Mirtazapine, 10mg of Diazepam(I take 15mg cause 10mg doesn't work) & Seroquel (this is where it gets complicated!) the psy prescribed 25mg(4 tablets a day=100mg) for 3 days, then 25mg(6 tablets a day=150mg) for 3 days, then 25mg ( 8 tablets per day=200mg)

My next appointement with her is next Monday & she said she'll increase the dose to 300mg! So that's why I was asking at what dose is Seroquel sedating?? Is it more sedating at lower doses or higher doses??

Last edited: