• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What Makes Someone a Good/Bad Candidate for MMT

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I am curious what would make someone a good candidate for MMT (such as previous treatment attempts, history of or current IV heroin or opioid drug use, HIV positive and injection opioid use, etc).

Likewise, what do you think would make someone a poor candidate for MMT (such as someone who has been taking 20mg of hydrocodone at a time once or twice a day for a few months).

Qualifying what I mean when I say MMT, I am thinking more either the extended detox (basically 6 months on methadone from start to finish) and longer term maintenance program. When I say MMT I'm not thinking so much of the three week to 30 day methadone detoxes.

So, what would make a potential patients a good candidate for MMT? What would make someone a poor candidate for the treatment? (In latter's case, what treatment might be more appropriate?)

I actually think that most users who have not been taking opiates IV SHOULD NOT qualify for MMT. If you are addicted to pills, you will just switch from one addiction to another very similar addiction in MMT. So we really have to be speaking about people who have taken opiate pills for 10 years plus and just want to switch to long-term MMT and other treatment beside that. Otherwise Suboxone should be prefered.