• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

what makes meth so addicting?

Well now you have an authority with which to support your false conclusions. Feel better now? I don't need a medical degree, all it took was watching meth being cooked to know what I know. Methamphetamine "freebase" cannot be smoked, it is an INACTIVE, nasty, oily mess which is merely one step in the manufacturing process. Go ahead try to get high of this. Drink it if you dare. You certainly can't smoke it. If the search button was functioning you could see that this has been discussed several times when morons who have heard the term "freebase" associated with smoking cocaine assume it is applicable to Meth as well. PhreeX gave the final word on it more than once and I will give it as well. All meth is smokable, and it is an acid not a base. Take ANY I repeat ANY meth you find on the market, no matter what the purity, from dirty trailer-park crank to pure glass shards and do this little experiment. Place it on a piece of foil, hold a lighter underneath and watch it vaporize. Wow! Magic! A hydrochloride (acid) being vaporized! Thank You, drive thru!
------------------
"All great things must first wear a terrifying and monstrous mask in order to inscribe themselves on the face of humanity"
-Nietzsche

Djmm, Mr Julien has it wrong in his book. Hopefully that error is
fixed in the new edition of his book (ninth edition has been published
this year). I can't understand how he could made so big mistake.
Here are some references, which hopefully are enough to turn you head
and believe us.
Meng Y, Dukat M, Bridgen DT, Martin BR, Lichtman AH.
Pharmacological effects of methamphetamine and other stimulants via
inhalation exposure. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999 Jan 7;53(2):111-20. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10080037&dopt=Abstract
Cook CE, Jeffcoat AR, Hill JM, Pugh DE, Patetta PK, Sadler BM, White
WR, Perez-Reyes M. Pharmacokinetics of methamphetamine
self-administered to human subjects by smoking S-(+)-methamphetamine
hydrochloride. Drug Metab Dispos. 1993 Jul-Aug;21(4):717-23. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8104133&dopt=Abstract

BTW, Dr Gonzo, amphetamines are active when they are in base form.
For example amphetamine itself as a free base is a volatile oil,
and this was put to good effect in its original use, absorbed
on cotton wadding with menthol in a tube marketed in 1932 by
Smith Kline and French as the Benzedrine Inhaler for the relief
of nasal congestion. Amphetamine free base is quite strong base
and can cause severe skin irritation when applid directly on
skin. It is also absorbed this way and leads to intoxication.

All the amphetamines in freebase form are absolutely active if administered orally.
Once that stuff hits the stomach the hydrochloric acid of the stomach immediately turns the free base into a HCl salt, (well actually its a dissolved HCl salt), just as it is done in synthesis.
If u have freebase u can put a few drops of it in say say lemon juice (or any acidic solution). it will DISSOLVE, it is ready for consumption. And i might add will be absorbed very fast.
Dr Gonzo: there r many people who synthesise the various amphetamines yet have a prob with the crystallisation. So they just through the freebase in some juice and down it goes.
The prob is that the freebase is nowhere near as stable as the crystal salt, so it will not last a long time. (also if ur snorting, clearly crystals r needed)
Obviously this is not ideal but the point is it is ACTIVE, believe me. Making the salt (in solution) only adds a little proton to the nitrogen atom; and the stomach acids are very good at doing that.
(note: i know that its the smoking issue which is being discussed; i was just pointing out that, orally, freebase isn't a big problem; provided u understand a few drops of the oil, is ~ 100mg crystal!!!)
[This message has been edited by Biscuit (edited 15 December 2000).]

Cookieweirdness:
It's theorized that after using certain chemicals over a period of time that your brain accumulates a buildup of a protein named Delta-FosB. Drug-craving and Addiction reference link here.
The study in the above mentioned link was concerning cocaine, but it also mentioned that other drugs such as meth, heroin, and nicotine may also produce a buildup of this protein.

I must say, I agree with CrystalMethBunny, when I was first introduced to glass I commented to a friend how [paraphrased] This drug is unlike other drugs I've tried. It would be possible to function through everyday life with this drug. [paraphrased]
and
Thanks for the link Brock, I'll go read over it!