• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What lowers inhibitions other than alcohol?

HepcatB

Greenlighter
I'm looking for a substance that lowers inhibitions. I'm pretty shy but I'd like something that would allow me to, say, sing karaoke in a crowded bar. Alcohol doesn't do it for me. I snorted some heroin water once and it helped, but I don't think I want to fuck with that stuff. Are there any drugs that would help me?

Zolpidem. Still the best drug I've ever taken, though that was long ago.

(or Amanitas, if you can get them...effect of the psychoactive in this mushroom is eerily close to Zolpidem's effects)

Also, plain old speed is a given and so easy to get a script for these days if you can convince a doctor you have attention problems.

I'm looking for a substance that lowers inhibitions. I'm pretty shy but I'd like something that would allow me to, say, sing karaoke in a crowded bar. Alcohol doesn't do it for me. I snorted some heroin water once and it helped, but I don't think I want to fuck with that stuff. Are there any drugs that would help me?

The easy and obvious answer is benzos.

There are a myriad of psychiatric drugs that could pose beneficial to your symptoms of social anxiety.
Some people even find relief with SSRI medication (not that I advocate SSRI use per se).
There are SNRI agents and dopamine reuptake agents.
You can move into the GABA system with benzodiazepines as stated above, though difficult to get a prescribing doc these days. Took me a long time to find one.
Then there's the gabapentinoids like gabapentin or pregablin. GABA B agonists like baclofen, GHB etc
The list goes on and on. Perhaps you should seek medical assistance for your predicament.
Just my 2 cents

alcohol doesn't do it for me either. it makes me sleepy, overly sedated, and plain old grumpy. The majority of poor choices I've made in my life (and I've made some pretty poor ones) involved alcohol. It tends to leave me in a state of depression and an even stronger craving to abuse stronger substances.

I have found Rx diazepam twice daily to work nicely.

kratom and phenibut are two legal options, assuming you're in a location where these substances are legal.

heroin, and any opioid is likely to reduce inhibition and create a state of euphoria. I was a serious heroin and all around opioid addict for some time. I was drawn to them because they made me feel normal. I am extremely introverted and socially anxious. Heroin was a blanket and best friend that could protect me from anything.
Kratom is an opioid fyi, albeit rather weak.

I highly suggest not using heavy opioids for anxiety relief. You'll end up strung out and I've heard of one doc using opioids to experimentally treat depression and anxiety, it isn't common practice as I'm sure you know.

What country you in?

Last edited:
I think the answer really depends on whether this person is looking for a one-time deal, or to ease a problem in general. I agree phenibut can be a good option, especially for someone not inclined to abuse it. Also agreed on the opiates, bad idea...

OP, is this more a one-time thing or at least once in a while situation? If so, I'd still recommend a (short-acting) benzo. Though it will certainly be difficult to find a doctor willing to give you a script for purposes such as you've described...

I was extremely introverted up until I was about 20 yrs (so bad to the point where they thought I was autistic throughout school)old and somehow snapped out of it. Still shy and cautious in social situations that you've mentioned sometimes. Would depend who I'm around. only thing that has help with this besides getting sloppy drunk or sloppy high on xanax has been good ol ADD medication. Start with a small dose of you don't tolerate uppers well like myself. I tied cocaine a few times and thought I was going to die/even caffein does this to me. The stuff from the dr office is just a lot cleaner. Just a bit of it made me the social butterfly :p

we're not here to tell you which drugs to take to get high.
my advice; sing like no one's listening.

I would suggest looking into nootropics, personally -- they act on the GABA receptors, similar to the way alcohol does but of course you don't get the calories of alcohol (and a lot of the other crappy effects of drinking). I won't state specific nootropics, but just research it. There's a plethora of information out there on the internet.