• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

what is this method of trimming a marijuana plant to grow the biggest buds?

foodcrisis

Bluelighter
so i've tried cloning weed and i was hoping to get some of the results like the pictures in this thread. i thought they must've been from clones, but i never was able to get buds so densely grown or even close to like these. so what's up with these type of plants, is growing marijuana this way called something specific. i'd like to be able to search what it's called to grow plants like this and find some you tube tutorials.. i'm guessing it takes a while of growing to trim plants like this or else everyone would be doing this... so here's some pics of what i'm talking about:

^^^^^^what's it called to grow a plant like this?

^^^^is this just the top of a really strong and tall marijuana plant or is it like a clone cut from a certain part of the plant... never seen any of my buds get this large, even some pretty tall outdoor plants i grews crown buds were no where near as big as this pic...

^^^^this also seems pretty amazing to me that this bud was grown in the amount of dirt as a solo cup... having a hard time figuring out what some one would have to do to create a plant like this...

anybody ever done any crazy marijuana trimming or know what i'm talking about?

ehh.. i wanted all the links to show up in the thread... whoops... but if anybody has time to click the three links and fill me in, i'd definitely appreciate it.

im not sure sorry, i just know screen of green can be good but mainly for indicas

haha that last pic looks like it was from a coffee cup competition see a pot noodle comp on another forum

I can't remember what its called but it involves removing all of the lower leaves and concentrating the plant's energy into making flowers on a few branches instead of supporting the lower fan leaves. The trimming is done as the plant flowers rather than as a special cloning method

You need to clip the nodes so it grows multiple buds instead of one main bud sight. There are different names but super cropping is one.
If you’re not growing dense buds it may be strain related but more likely is you’re not providing enough light and nutes for the plant to grow to its full potential.
There is tons of literature out there. Do some more research and some r&d and you’ll figure it out.
Always, fair winds and following seas

so i've tried cloning weed and i was hoping to get some of the results like the pictures in this thread. i thought they must've been from clones, but i never was able to get buds so densely grown or even close to like these. so what's up with these type of plants, is growing marijuana this way called something specific. i'd like to be able to search what it's called to grow plants like this and find some you tube tutorials.. i'm guessing it takes a while of growing to trim plants like this or else everyone would be doing this... so here's some pics of what i'm talking about:

^^^^is this just the top of a really strong and tall marijuana plant or is it like a clone cut from a certain part of the plant... never seen any of my buds get this large, even some pretty tall outdoor plants i grews crown buds were no where near as big as this pic...

^^^^this also seems pretty amazing to me that this bud was grown in the amount of dirt as a solo cup... having a hard time figuring out what some one would have to do to create a plant like this...

The best method for larger buds is to leave the main stem untopped and to clear all lower branches 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the plant. You’ll get a large football size top cola if done correctly. The next best option is to mainline top the plants as soon as you get the second set of leaves and top again next set after the split for an even 4 branch plant. POP or (strip side growths) of each stem up 1/3 of the way. Note you do not need to remove any lower fan leaves when popping your plant. Your best bet to achieve superior growth for indoor plants is to use superior organic nutrients with a Humic acid granule or liquid and quality cal / mag supplement. Try Lotus Nectar of the Gods or Rocky Mountain AGriculture. You can get great results with 50/50 Pure Worm Castings & Compost too. Use LED lights like they sell on Amazon. KIND LED & Mammoth LED are my two favorites right now but you can spend more on Gavita etc. even the smaller 100-200w panels that have enhanced UVA rays will boost your yield and quality. Look for the pinkish purple hue. I’ve found them as low as $25 dollars.

someguyontheinternet's articles seem to give the information that i'm looking for... seems a bit confusing to me, or not really even confusing, just weird a plant is so versatile you just cut parts off and it starts growing crazy yeilds... i'd like to start a plant inside like that and then put it outside. seems like it could be cool... i might give it a try, but i feel like i might be missing something... i'll have to look up "supercropping" too. thanks for all the replies.

it's weird though. most pictures i see of grow rooms don't use these techniques to grow more buds. it just looks like they grow the plant straight up with out really trimming it too much. maybe i haven't seen enough pictures, but it seems like everyone would be doing this.

that last pic that i posted in the OP looks awesome to me. i'd love to have a closet full of little cups like that... i grew like ten seeds in party cups for one of my first grows and only let them grow to be like a foot and a half by the time they were done flowering. i thought i was gonna be able to get like at least an 1/8th or quarter for each top bud but it was only like a gram or a half 1/8th for each top bud. i was using a 400watt HPS lamp too.

Cannabis is a very vigorous plant and should produce thick potent buds using the previously mentioned cultivation methods as long as you provide it with enough light water and nutrients.
If you are giving it enough light (400 Watts HPS should be fine for small grows) then maybe look at the nutrients next. I used an old school method using coco growing material called The Lucas Method. It's inexpensive, relatively simple and produces excellent results.

Cannabis is a very vigorous plant and should produce thick potent buds using the previously mentioned cultivation methods as long as you provide it with enough light water and nutrients.
If you are giving it enough light (400 Watts HPS should be fine for small grows) then maybe look at the nutrients next. I used an old school method using coco growing material called The Lucas Method. It's inexpensive, relatively simple and produces excellent results.
yeah. i was using fertalizer that didn't have any odor for my indoor grow. some products from the people that make "bud candy", i forget their name... i was thinking maybe the indoors i was growing weren't as good because the more stinky fertalizers are better. like i had whatever the fox farm brand of fertalizer recommended for marijuana and it stunk like terrible, no way was i using that indoors, but my outdoor plants were so much better than my indoor plants. i'm convinced stinkier fertalizers are the way to grow. not sure if there is any science behind it, but i had great outdoor results.

yeah. i was using fertalizer that didn't have any odor for my indoor grow. some products from the people that make "bud candy", i forget their name... i was thinking maybe the indoors i was growing weren't as good because the more stinky fertalizers are better. like i had whatever the fox farm brand of fertalizer recommended for marijuana and it stunk like terrible, no way was i using that indoors, but my outdoor plants were so much better than my indoor plants. i'm convinced stinkier fertalizers are the way to grow. not sure if there is any science behind it, but i had great outdoor results.
The nutes I was using were General Hydroponics standard hydroponic (relatively inexpensive) and were in fact non organic and 100% odorless, so those types of nutes can be just as productive. The Lucas method is a technique not limit to one nutrient brand or type. The ratio of nutrients (n-n-n), percentage of nutrients to water (EC) and relaive acidity (PH are really what make the plant perform at it's best. Follow the way the plant responds to the way you're feeding it. Most plawon't "eat" unlesss the ph is between 5.0 and 6.0, for example, but each strain prefers it somewhere, )and when you find it, you are golden, One should expect 1 to 2 oz of dried flower from each plant indoors with sufficient light and any good nutients when appled properly. When grown outdoors in direct sunlight double that at least.

The nutes I was using were General Hydroponics standard hydroponic (relatively inexpensive) and were in fact non organic and 100% odorless, so those types of nutes can be just as productive. The Lucas method is a technique not limit to one nutrient brand or type. The ratio of nutrients (n-n-n), percentage of nutrients to water (EC) and relaive acidity (PH are really what make the plant perform at it's best. Follow the way the plant responds to the way you're feeding it. Most plawon't "eat" unlesss the ph is between 5.0 and 6.0, for example, but each strain prefers it somewhere, )and when you find it, you are golden, One should expect 1 to 2 oz of dried flower from each plant indoors with sufficient light and any good nutients when appled properly. When grown outdoors in direct sunlight double that at least.
yeah. i found that growing a plant for like 2-3 months from start to finish, i could get an ounce off of each plant easy. never got too much more yields than that, so i could probably study more and find some new methods of growing.

For indices i wouldn’t shape them much at all. if you have stable genetics and the right system (lights, co2, and nutrient line) then this can work amazing

An aggressive defoliation performed right after they pop works really well too.

For hybrids i would just mold them so they have 3-5 colas. After weighing thousands of plants it was surprising to see differences in harvest weight of particular strains just separated by less than four grams totally independent of pruning and sculpting.

Last edited:

The first link the plant is topped to evenly branch looks like 8-16 tops called mainlining. Second one looks like they just grew it untapped sea of green style. Honestly the best method to grow is the 10lb method. Start your seeds indoors now and take clones as soon as they’re ready or buy them. If you start with a 1 foot clone in January you can have it 3-4 feet by march using Deep Water Culture. It’s buckets with water nutrients and air stones. The more airflow the better. The ring stones work nice. You only need 2/3 -3/4 of the bucket full of water just high enough to make the water bubbles pop and wet the roots. After they grow the roots get down to fill the bucket and they suck it up and grow like nothing else. Prepare holes outdoors 3’x3’ and fill them with fertilizer mix at the bottom of the hole then add worm castings and back fill the holes with compost soil mix. Plant plants down to the first set of side branches buried 6” they will also turn into roots and help stabilize the plant when it gets big. Rocky Mountain Bio Ag fertilizer will get you results. If your soil is too dense add Cal Mag / Dolomite Lime & Epsom Salts and crushed pumice. This is the 10lb method described in high times magazine. Used by medical growers and recreational cultivators. Good Luck and ditch the 400 watt HPS for LEDs with enhanced UVA and IR & Far Red spectrums and never look back

The first link the plant is topped to evenly branch looks like 8-16 tops called mainlining. Second one looks like they just grew it untapped sea of green style. Honestly the best method to grow is the 10lb method. Start your seeds indoors now and take clones as soon as they’re ready or buy them. If you start with a 1 foot clone in January you can have it 3-4 feet by march using Deep Water Culture. It’s buckets with water nutrients and air stones. The more airflow the better. The ring stones work nice. You only need 2/3 -3/4 of the bucket full of water just high enough to make the water bubbles pop and wet the roots. After they grow the roots get down to fill the bucket and they suck it up and grow like nothing else. Prepare holes outdoors 3’x3’ and fill them with fertilizer mix at the bottom of the hole then add worm castings and back fill the holes with compost soil mix. Plant plants down to the first set of side branches buried 6” they will also turn into roots and help stabilize the plant when it gets big. Rocky Mountain Bio Ag fertilizer will get you results. If your soil is too dense add Cal Mag / Dolomite Lime & Epsom Salts and crushed pumice. This is the 10lb method described in high times magazine. Used by medical growers and recreational cultivators. Good Luck and ditch the 400 watt HPS for LEDs with enhanced UVA and IR & Far Red spectrums and never look back
Not sure if you knew but you did mention supercropping. Look up monster cropping. It’s where you set a plant to flower 7–10 days and revert it back to vegetative growth and the branches shoot out in a mass from the bud site. All you need is a small clone with no branches to do it but the plant will usually make too many shoots and you’ll have to trim some off to get the thing growing faster. Cheers

My two most favorite methods are -
1. Topping -This involves cutting off the main growth tip of the plant during the vegetative stage. This encourages the plant to develop multiple main colas instead of a single dominant one, leading to more bud sites.
2. Low-Stress Training - This is a technique where you gently bend and tie down branches to encourage a more even canopy. This ensures that more light reaches lower bud sites, promoting even bud development.