• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What is the risk of a rescue dose on xanax taper?

DreamofWinter

Bluelighter
I've been on Xanax for around 45 days, prescribed, averaging 1.5mg a day, split into morning, afternoon, and night. I've been tapering, and am currently on 1mg a day, taken mainly as an afternoon and evening dose (I delayed morning dose one day to see how I felt, and it was fine). However, tomorrow I am going to a big event, during which I'll be expected to speak. I've never spoken before in public, never mind in front of 100+ people, and thinking of going back up to 1.5mg for the one day, even 2mg, then back down to one to continue my taper from Sunday?

As I've started tapering, I've had a slight return of anxiety, but I'm not entirely sure if that's because of the pills or because I've been reading through all the Benzo horror stories online, basically nonstop, for the last week or two.

I've been on Xanax for around 45 days, prescribed, averaging 1.5mg a day, split into morning, afternoon, and night. I've been tapering, and am currently on 1mg a day, taken mainly as an afternoon and evening dose (I delayed morning dose one day to see how I felt, and it was fine). However, tomorrow I am going to a big event, during which I'll be expected to speak. I've never spoken before in public, never mind in front of 100+ people, and thinking of going back up to 1.5mg for the one day, even 2mg, then back down to one to continue my taper from Sunday?

As I've started tapering, I've had a slight return of anxiety, but I'm not entirely sure if that's because of the pills or because I've been reading through all the Benzo horror stories online, basically nonstop, for the last week or two.
Don't increase the dose to more than you've been prescribed.

All the symptoms that the Benzo was treating will return once you start tapering or stopping the alp. Benzos don't treat the root cause of the problem, just mask them.

You have 4 options ( keeping in mind your goal here is to come of them, and not sabotage that so you could get through tomorrow )

Hold your taper today and tomorrow meaning do not reduce it for now as your going through a trying time and start it again once you're comfortable - remember Benzo withdrawal is never really comfortable.

Hold your taper and when tomorrow comes and you find it too difficult to function you can up dose to the dose you last was on before you reduced- this doesn't mean the original prescribed dose.

Or up dose to your original prescribed dose for that one event, not more. Remember that you may have to start your taper after that from that dose... Or might be able to return to your current dose right away...

Or cancel the speech part due to personal reasons...

and stop reading the horror stories that is not helping you! everyone's physiology is different, most of those are from individuals who have been on them for years or decades for countless number of reasons

Good luck, and focus on "you" getting of this.