• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is the phenomenon behind "Noddng Out"

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I'm curious what you guys think causes nodding out. I mean obviously it's a sign of heavy CNS and respiratory depression. Do you think nodding out means you took too much?

A lot of junkies, myself included seek that level of high. We love nodding out. It means you're in a stabile, peaceful state of bliss.

However, how is it that I can act perfectly normal when completing a task at work which requires alertness and coordination but the SECOND I get in the passenger seat of my bosses truck I begin involuntarily nodding out, Like I'll do everything /i possibly can (smoke a cigarette, play on my phone) to stay awake but no matter how hard I try or what I do I find myself nodding out. And once we arrive at the next job..... I'm PERFECTLY functional... I work hard, fast, smart, full of energy, but as soon as I'm sitting in the passenger seat if I'm high enough there's nothing I can do.

I think it's just sedation, it causes you to semi lose consciousness. At the same time, you're extremely high on an opiate so you feel amazing. I think the state of drowsy narcosis adds to the good feelings... you know that feeling when you wake up briefly in the middle of the night, or are about to fall asleep, where you feel heavy and warm and content? I think when you're nodding, since you're so close to sleep, it's also adding that to your overall feeling.

I think nodding means you're close to having taken too much, but I agree that it highly desirable, for people who like opioids anyway. I have met drug users who hate getting that way, but they are usually people who dislike sedatives and want to be up and hyped. Going for nodding can be dangerous since opiate overdoses can be fatal, but I think there's enough difference between dangerous overdose and nodding that an experienced user who knows their supply can go for it without too much risk. The biggest risk is in not knowing what you have with a new batch or something. Particularly with fentanyl these days... if you're going for "as much as possible while staying conscious", you run a real risk of overdosing with the fentanyl so prevalent.

I'm curious what you guys think causes nodding out. I mean obviously it's a sign of heavy CNS and respiratory depression. Do you think nodding out means you took too much?
That's the wonderful, fatal beauty of the opiates: their ability to bring you into a state of total warmth and comfort, even a state of waking dreams, while still allowing you to snap out of it, return yourself to an adequate state of cognition, and successfully engage with the square world, on just a moment's notice... assuming, that is, you didn't *really* overdo it (like these derelict drivers I hear about, who nod off at the wheel and injure/kill innocent people in the resulting car crash).

I was never a huge fan of the nod. Its not something I actively chased - I was more so after the warm, relaxing, anxiolytic effect. The last time I used it was after having abstained for for a fortnight and I was nodding out all over the place and didnt like the feeling at all. I had to start knocking back cappuccinos to perk up a little and level myself off. I prefer to be able to function, none of that nodding out all afternoon getting nothing done for me to be honest. Initially the whole reason for my use was so that I could function without physical (my lower back) and psychological pain (treatment-resistant depression and anxiety/constant panic attacks).

I was never a huge fan of the nod. Its not something I actively chased - I was more so after the warm, relaxing, anxiolytic effect. The last time I used it was after having abstained for for a fortnight and I was nodding out all over the place and didnt like the feeling at all. I had to start knocking back cappuccinos to perk up a little and level myself off. I prefer to be able to function, none of that nodding out all afternoon getting nothing done for me to be honest. Initially the whole reason for my use was so that I could function without physical (my lower back) and psychological pain (treatment-resistant depression and anxiety/constant panic attacks).
Yeah I don't go for that. Sometimes I did but that was when I felt so abysmal I just wanted to take myself out of the picture and switch off my brain for a bit. Like death without dying, if you will.
I don't see why anyone would actively WANT to be on the nod unless all they were seeking was total oblivion . Personally I consider it a waste of a good chemical. I wanna be aware enough to actively enjoy my high.

Last edited:

A lot of junkies, myself included seek that level of high. We love nodding out. It means you're in a stabile, peaceful state of bliss.

However, how is it that I can act perfectly normal when completing a task at work which requires alertness and coordination but the SECOND I get in the passenger seat of my bosses truck I begin involuntarily nodding out, Like I'll do everything /i possibly can (smoke a cigarette, play on my phone) to stay awake but no matter how hard I try or what I do I find myself nodding out. And once we arrive at the next job..... I'm PERFECTLY functional... I work hard, fast, smart, full of energy, but as soon as I'm sitting in the passenger seat if I'm high enough there's nothing I can do.

Nodding out was absolutely my goal when I was an IV heroin user. That blissful state of pure nirvana was fucking orgasmic. Don’t see how any other opiate users couldn’t possibly be seeking the nod.

Obviously Idc for the nod. I use to chase it until I finally nodded. I hated it. I want to enjoy my high while fully conscious. Just my feelings and experience.

My intent with IV heroin was to get shit done. I was one of 'those' people. I have nothing against going balls to the wall, but heroin was like an antidepressant for moi. It took away aches and pains, got myself out of bed in the a.m. and then onto business. Which usually meant: where to get more dope. The only time I would nod out is when I finally sat my ass down for the night and then the nod would kick in. I didn't do dope to get anhilated. I did it to dull the pain of living.

My intent with IV heroin was to get shit done. I was one of 'those' people. I have nothing against going balls to the wall, but heroin was like an antidepressant for moi. It took away aches and pains, got myself out of bed in the a.m. and then onto business. Which usually meant: where to get more dope. The only time I would nod out is when I finally sat my ass down for the night and then the nod would kick in. I didn't do dope to get anhilated. I did it to dull the pain of living.

I mean, I wasn’t seeking total oblivion at first. It was the same for me in the beginning, cured my depression and anxiety and I was able to be social and go to work and be a productive member of society. I also would only nod when I would finally sit down to watch tv or whatever at the end of the day on the couch. It wasn’t until the end when I was completely depressed and didn’t care about overdosing. But I still always loved the nod lol.