• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is Kratom?

Blueeyes01

Bluelighter
I'm new here and reading a lot about WDing from Oxycodone 60-100mgs / day. I'm hearing Kratom helps but I don't even know where I'd buy that?! How much to take? I just started Suboxone today and wow - I have only taken 2mgs so far and I was terrified of the prewithdrawals I read about but I must say I feel a lot better. Still pains because I'm trying to stay on as low a dose as possible. After all, Pain is the name of this game isn't it?! ?

Hey there blueeyes and a belated welcome to the forums from all of us! Kratom (Mitragyna Speciosa) is a plant native to Southeast Asia that is, among other things, an Opioid agonist through its metabolite Mitragynine et al. It's use in traditional medicine in its traditional hearth region is well-documented, but only over the past decade or two has its use really gained popularity in "The West". For your purposes, the most important thing to know is that Kratom and its extracts will function in a similar fashion to the Oxycodone you're dependent upon.

On the potency spectrum, as it were, Kratom would be considered a relatively mild agonist that you could probably compare to Codeine. Be aware that it's not just an Opioid, per se, it also produces other effects which some have described as stimulant-like (not unlike Oxycodone, in that manner). Kratom has found popularity as a recreational drug, but also as an essential constituent of an Opioid-user's "toolkit", as in, it's an Opioid of lesser strength than say Morphine/Heroin, Oxycodone etc. and due to its dubious legality, can often be acquired through nominally licity means, although this is changing as we speak, so before trying to source any, make sure you can legally import it where you live.

I would suggest doing your own research on this drug. There's a lot to learn and as I mentioned, the situation is unfolding presently in regard to its legality.

You're right to be afraid of precipitated/induced withdrawal as a result of premature Buprenorphine initiation, but the good news, is that if you've already consumed your dose and feel better, you are almost certainly not going to experience any discomfort. Typically, there will not be a "feeling better" phase with Precipitated Withdrawal, you will just become very, very ill at a rapid pace.

If the Buprenorphine works for you and you have a reasonable means of acquiring it in the future, than I would say you don't need to go to the trouble of finding/acquiring Kratom at the moment, but as I said, do some research so when and if the time comes, you'll know what move to make. Let us know if you have any other questions, and again, welcome!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful response! I literally teared up haha sheesh, I think anything can make me cry right now. I actually did some research earlier and a local smoke shop around does carry it. I'll keep all this information in mind. I like feeling somewhat informed. Again, thanks for the great information! ?

Be weary of smoke shop kratom, it's not always good quality and is sometimes just RC opioids put into plant material, plus I've heard smoke shop stuff is very expensive. There are a lot of honest, quality vendors of kratom on the Internet. If you feel like you might need it you'd be better off finding a good source online and ordering it before you actually need it.

Falsifiedhypothesi, can you site that about RC opioids being in kratom. not trying to call u out just curious if you/anyone can back this up. but Yeah you can purchase kratom online, apparently it's the best way to do it in terms of cost efficiency and quality but I personally get it from a smoke/vape shop in my area. IF someone can confirm that local shops sometimes use RCs in their kratom, i'll even start buying online. There are also different types of "strains". Some are stimulating which is generally suitable for the morning, and some are more sedating which is great for unwinding in the evening. Just be sure to clarify this with a vendor if you do decide to purchase kratom. Dosing, i would recommend starting with 3-4 grams (I use a scale) but do your own research outside of BL, for sure though. =D

Last edited:
I recall reading a couple cases of headshop kratom having O-desmethyltramadol in it, I'm sorry it was a while ago and I can't recall the source. Also some of the UEI from online vendors also had O-dmt as the active ingredient. So I'm not saying the online market is completely safe but there are a lot of known reputable vendors online.

The reason I brought up the head shop issue is because ive heard of RC's being sold as kratom in a couple cases and also because a lot of head shops are willing to sell unlabeled RC's as spice/bathsalts/ etc.

I just tried kratom today for the first time, and I have to say it's quite enjoyable :p
it's kind of like a less intense opioid feeling with a speedy, but not jittery, edge to it. It also feels like a sociable mood enhancer as well. I did happen to catch a little nod off it too=D

But I should mention, I may be enjoying it more than most do because my opioid tolerance is nil at the moment (I used to use 300mg's IV morphine 2x a day, but have abstained from opiates for 3.5 years)

Ya ground up plants into powder. In my experience (5 or 6 times) you get some energy and like the worse opiate body buzz with light euphoria. Id usually eat 1/2 to an 1oz. It tastes F***ing terrible so try to parachute it. But 1/2 to 1oz is alot of powder to eat but thats what i need to feel it.

(Sources and prices are not allowed at Bluelight)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ might want to edit out that site- we can't source or discuss specific pricing.

but yes kratom is fairly cheap for plain leaf and you want to dose small and work your way up.

I redosed a gram last night and I probably should have waited longer, I got hit by this nasty wave of nausea that lasted about 20 mins and it took everything I had not to puke :/