• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives what is it called when a person has a very low tolerance to DXM?

foodcrisis

Bluelighter
so in a recent thread i told a poster that i thought my body lacked something to metabolize dxm and that any more than a bottle would make me fall asleep. this has happened to me a few times where i drank a bottle of tussin and then fell asleep. this was something that used to happen when i was a teen and i would wait until my mother would go to sleep, so it would be late in the night when i'd dose.

i remember now though, taking 300mg of dxm in pill form during the afternoon and went to a concert. i smoked a joint with two other people and then was dancing to music, up and totally awake. it was like as i danced i was stepping through a portal of color with my eyes closed, as i would take different steps the background color would change colors. it was pretty cool and i had almost zero side effects or body load. i remembered this because of the thread about the poster making a dxm video and what we thought about it making us creative. i said i'd like to try it again for painting, but the poster said it might be too "choppy" of an experience or something. this made me go back through every time i took DXM and i totally forgot about this experience. it's been like over fifteen years since i took dxm recereationally, so i'm sorry that i might've been misinformative. i read on google that an overdose on dxm can make a person loose consciousness, so i don't know that i was totally off saying what i did, but i was reading in other threads on this board that i might've gave some bad information, one poster talking about DXM causing insomnia, and this other person saying their body didn't metabolize DXM correctly and they had this experience:

"I am deficient, slow metabolizer, poor metabolizer of DXM looking for more people like this to compare strategies and notes.Thinking of starting a blog.
The trip lasts about 2-3 hours I am thinking like normal people. The difference is that the drug lasts for 5 days. You are stoned out of your mind constantly with a gradual decrease each day. There is zero tripping going on after those first 3 hours."

For me when a DXM trip is over, everything is fine, maybe you even feel a little bit good. it only lasts a few hours. i definitely don't have what this poster is talking about and i'm sorry i wasn't more well read. i kind of want to go edit my previous posts, but i already posted them at a poster so who knows...

another poster "hodor" wrote this: "A deficiency/inhibition of the CYP2D6 enzyme would make the recreational effects seem *weaker*, not stronger. " i specifically remember some one saying your body can lack something that processes the DXM and it hits a person harder. what is this called?

both of the posts i mentioned were in this thread:

I was going to ask what it is like for a person that can't process DXM the same, but it sounds like the poster i quoted is a severe case and i definitely don't have that. i'm wondering about taking more than a bottle of DXM now because of my experience with the concert. i probably won't. i'd rather have shrooms, but growing them is such a pain and i'm worried about people finding out about the smell. maybe just a small grow will do. who knows though, i may even try dxm again.

I take a lot of pride in remembering my drug experiences and everything i put on this board has been my real experience. This board is like a trip down memory lane for me. I'm sorry if i wrote anything off. doesn't seem like too much of a problem cause there definitely were times when i fell asleep, but i think that was my body being tired on it's own. i guess DXM can even make some people not sleep. IDK, i've definitely taken like 50mgs just to relax and fall asleep with out a trip, and like i said i have fallen asleep after taken 4oz bottles of tussin before the trip really even started.

Were you on drugs while writing this post, its so chaotic lol.

Anyways, dextromethorphan (DXM) is metabolized into the NMDAR antagonist (that is, dissociative) dextrorphan by the enzyme CYP2D6, and dextrorphan in turn is metabolized by various enzymes. If one has lots of CYP2D6 enzymes, they metabolize the DXM into the active metabolite faster, thus having a more intense, but usually shorter lived peak. On the contrary, people with low amounts of this enzyme have longer, drawn out trips.

It's called being a pussy

I kid, I kid

The dude above me is right, DXM is particularly susceptible to individual variations in liver enzyme activity. People mess with grapefruit juice to intentionally alter these enzymes.

Also, the way in which you stagger your DXM dosage alters the DXM/DXO ratio and changes the trip. You must check out the legendary DXM faq if you haven't. Although I will say, DXM is one of the only drugs I wish I'd done much less of

Cheers

Think you already know what you're asking for, it's called a CYP2D6 poor metabolizer. But DXM is a very unpredictable drug by itself, I am a normal metabolizer but specially after repeated exposure I get effects from as low as 75mg (inverse tolerance), not anymore these days because I abused dissociatives too much for their escapist properties what I regret becayse they're so magnificent drugs.

I think poor metabolism doesn't cancel DXMs effects but rather change them. There's now an antidepressant cocktail containing dxm and bupropion, the latter is a strong CYP inhibitor and used for that reason, not because its also an antidepressant. This makes normal metabolizers to behave like poor ones and somehow increases the antidepressant effects of DXM (not very sure about this, I think they rather want to abolish the potency as a dissociative to prevent recreational use). I tried this mix years ago and I personally liked it but it was also very speedy after a couple of days for levels to build up.

I must be a rapid metabolizer; I get extremely intense effects from only 30mg. Complete dissociation. I cease to recognize myself as myself. I can’t even take it for its intended use as a couch suppressant because I trip balls very uncomfortably.

Very weird drug.