• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is considered "drug-seeking behavior"?

Survival0200

Bluelighter
What do you think, is asking for painkillers considered as "drug-seeking behavior"?

Example #1:
"OMG, I have this terrible pain. Can I have some painkillers?"

Example #2:
After a small surgical operation: "I'm probably going to be in agony after this. Can I have some painkillers?"

I guess it's okay to whine about pain, but is mentioning drugs going to be labeled as "drug-seeking behavior"?

Tell us if you've been labeled as a drug-seeker.

One thing is asking for certain drugs by name, rather than just accepting what the doctor chooses for you based on your symptoms. Doctor’s are suspicious of overly educated patients who have researched drugs.

So never go “I have insomnia can I have some Ambien” or “I’m having panic attacks, can I have some Xanax”

I am honest with my doctors. Some it scares away... then I get a new doctor. But once in a while I get a good rapport with one, then it is just like talking with another drug-geek. Maybe some counter-offers are made to my suggestions, but it generally works out well.

My new Physician is a peach. We spent 20 minutes talking about research chemicals and addiction and by the end she put me on Baclofen for anxiety and Ambien.

In both cases, with the opioid pandemic, doctors are usually well aware patients are somewhat well versed in what the good opiods are for pain medication. With that being said, it's usually a good idea to first tell your doctor you're in pain or worried about pain and let him offer a suggestion. If his suggestion is not something you agree with, then advocate for your health, and explain your concerns about proper pain relief. As long as you articulate it in this manner, no doctor is going to label you as a drug seeker. If you start debating with him, however, about which specific pain medication to prescribe you, then that's typically not going to work out well for you unless you have a relationship with the doctor and the doctor understands your knowledge of pain medication and trusts you.

I've always been honest with my doctors... well at least 70% honest. I'm open about my drug abuse buuuuuut leave the worst of it out sometimes.

It's really just a 50/50 thing. Some are completely against giving any drugs that can be abused, others will help you.

The last psychiatrist I went to gave me librium, lunesta and adderall (and that was AFTER he diagnosed me with drug induced schizophrenia). I really liked that doc... too bad I moved and can't see him anymore.

but saying "I'm in a lot of pain" is a major red flag for them. I've only been prescribed opioids when I was actually severely hurt or had surgery.

What do you think, is asking for painkillers considered as "drug-seeking behavior"?

Example #1:
"OMG, I have this terrible pain. Can I have some painkillers?"

Example #2:
After a small surgical operation: "I'm probably going to be in agony after this. Can I have some painkillers?"

I guess it's okay to whine about pain, but is mentioning drugs going to be labeled as "drug-seeking behavior"?

Tell us if you've been labeled as a drug-seeker.
No idea about the seeking behaviour. But over here you ain't getting painrelief from a prescribed opioid. Except when your on the edge of death.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. The fact that these will not kill the pain is obvious. At least to me, but in essence that is what you will get.

One thing is asking for certain drugs by name, rather than just accepting what the doctor chooses for you based on your symptoms. Doctor’s are suspicious of overly educated patients who have researched drugs.

So never go “I have insomnia can I have some Ambien” or “I’m having panic attacks, can I have some Xanax”

Actually tbh exactly what your saying not to do is exactly what I do except for i throw in i usta take whatever pill I'm asking for

So id say it depends on what doctor your talking to for example if you go to the hosp i tal and start asking for anything they won't prescribe it

But if you go to a pain clinic and say can you prescribe me perk 10s because I usta be on them and they really helped me id say youd be likely to get them

Just like if you go to a psych doctor and ask for xanax with a new doctor i always say i was prescribed more than I actually was

Right now I'm prescribed

Flexeril 10mg 3x daily
Lithium carbonate 1350mg once at night
Xanax 70 1mg a month
Addedal 30mg xr 60 a month 2x daily
Lunesta 3mg once at night
Ambien 10mg once at night
Seroquel 600mg at night

I usually only take either the lunesta or ambien along with the seroquel

And I have basic insurance staywell florida medicade

If you have been on a med for any length of time and your script history shows you are not jumping from Dr to Dr then I think you may have better luck being able to be open with a dr. My history shows everything from 5mg Vicodin to 8mg Dilaudid, with every few years a reduction to 10-15mg oxy where I maintain dosing for a year or so before adding/increasing again. If it is suggested to change the mix I am always open to it (hell, I’vebeen pleasantly surprised before with results!) but it allows me to go back after 30 days and say it did/didn’t work as well as XYZ and I would prefer to stick with what I have proven success with.
If you change Drs every month because you arent getting whatyou want then that is a bigger flag than asking for a specific med you know, and they can verify history of, working for you in past... At least that has been my experience.

Actually tbh exactly what your saying not to do is exactly what I do except for i throw in i usta take whatever pill I'm asking for

So id say it depends on what doctor your talking to for example if you go to the hosp i tal and start asking for anything they won't prescribe it

But if you go to a pain clinic and say can you prescribe me perk 10s because I usta be on them and they really helped me id say youd be likely to get them

Just like if you go to a psych doctor and ask for xanax with a new doctor i always say i was prescribed more than I actually was

Right now I'm prescribed

Flexeril 10mg 3x daily
Lithium carbonate 1350mg once at night
Xanax 70 1mg a month
Addedal 30mg xr 60 a month 2x daily
Lunesta 3mg once at night
Ambien 10mg once at night
Seroquel 600mg at night

I usually only take either the lunesta or ambien along with the seroquel

And I have basic insurance staywell florida medicade

Your talking about Florida where up until the opioid epidemic basically handed oxys and Xanax out like communion wafers.

Ya’ll are different animals down there.. We need a fence ;)

-GC

I have to say my experience has been the exact opposite

They could also look at it like this person doesn't know anything. Why are they wasting my time? Here, here's a crappy medicine I hand out like candy

Your talking about Florida where up until the opioid epidemic basically handed oxys and Xanax out like communion wafers.

Ya’ll are different animals down there.. We need a fence ;)

-GC

Lol getting pain pills here in florida isn't as easy as it once was but getting any benzo is easy peezy

Asking your the surgeon for Codeine is the worst I did. If that came over as seeking will remain a ? he looked more surprised then conspicious.

He looked at me with that look saying dental surgery don't cause pain. But use Ibuprofen as needed

Thank God, I do have to write just an SMS to my GP - Opiates I don't take ,but my Xanax 1.0 mg 50s I get every month.

JJ