• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What helps for nightmares?

Survival0200

Bluelighter
Is there any drug that would help with nightmares? I have some maybe two nights a week. I'm not a big fan of them, so I was wondering ... Have you had nightmares? If so, what helped?

I used to when I was young. Nothing helped. They were random so never had a chance to prepare for them. I don't know if sleeping pills or anti psychotics would work or make them worse... Maybe a benzo with a long half life before bedtime.

yeah....friend....tell me indeed.agreed with the guy above

there are certain drugs used in the treatment of severe trauma related disorders to address the symptom of recurring nightmares. Such drugs include the Alpha1 adrenergic, antagonist prazosin, the powerful, antiserotonergic antihistamine cyproheptadine, and to a lesser extent medicinal cannabis. however, I assume these will only work in the case of an actual nightmare disorder where severe trauma could have led to long-term brain changes. I’m not a doctor, but I doubt you have a nightmare disorder if you only have a few nightmares per week. Maybe you’re going through a stressful time in your life with both conscious and subconscious stressors. this has certainly been my experience. Do you find that your nightmares reflect anything you are worried about in waking life?
I wish you all the best and hope you get through this. i’m sure these nightmares will pass.

Cyproheptadine is good to have around in case you get serotonin syndrome. It's a trip killer. I could see it working for an acute nightmare possibly. Not sure what exactly a nightmare is from a pharmacological perspective but it probably involves serotonin.

It had been said even from many years ago that cannabis can help with bad dreams. Veterans coming back from service have resorted to it accorrding to a few publications that I would have to find. I think cannabis can tamper down dreams.

Saying that cannabis does not totally get rid of dreams as some of the publications say. If I am sleeping after a smoke and get shaked awake I can remember the dream I was just having. But if i wake up naturally if gets buffered from my memory. So I think it can help.

Others say a benzo can help but I do not recommend that for this.

Dreams sort of follow our day. My wife had a horrible dream once of killing and getting killed. Yet the TV was on showing scenes like that on TV as she slept. A lot can get into subconscious. So no sleeping with the TV on.

Lastly if I can identify what it is that has been eating at me I can see how it comes out in dreams. A look inward and accepting the dreams may get you through it quicker than avoiding the subject. So it is simple. What is actually bothering me at the moment. And then I sit with out so it does not come out in my dreams.

Cyproheptadine is good to have around in case you get serotonin syndrome. It's a trip killer. I could see it working for an acute nightmare possibly. Not sure what exactly a nightmare is from a pharmacological perspective but it probably involves serotonin.

Since I first discovered cyproheptadine, i’ve always been very curious to experience its effects. I only intend this as a one off experience as I don’t want to rely on sedatives and I don’t want to gain weight. furthermore, I don’t imagine cyproheptadine would be that pleasant but I’ll probably try it one day to kill the curiosity.

Like others have said, I find that cannabis tends to stop you from dreaming - or at least stops you from remembering your dreams, nightmares included. The only downside is that cannabis withdrawal often induces horrendous nightmares.

But even though nightmares can be kind of traumatic at the time, when you wake up, they're soon gone.

I find life to be more of a nightmare than any of my dreams...

when u sleep...also...think-better plugged off el.devices-computers,etc...when i do this-some noises disappeared.normal.el.field is off around me.this got impact on dream patterns too forsure

That is so weird because I don't dream, or remember :(:oops: and I didn't know why I do not dream anymore.

At first I thought it was because I had used Norco. However, I wansn't 'allowed' to use marijuana at pain mngmt.

When I quit opiods I had to try to use weed instead and I thought I didn't dream because I had brain damage

from withdrawing from Norco. I didn't really care though so I didn't research it but I don't dream at all, or remember.

So very recently I had been taking a few gabapentins to help with my Kratom dosings . . . . . and all of a sudden

I started to dream again !! And I couldn't figure out why I was dreaming again. I thought that it might have had something to do

with the gabapentin.

And as far as not dreaming when smoking weed. That would be me. I usually smoke myself

to sleep unintentionally but I guess it happens.

I do smoke large amounts of weed and I never thought that it was the result of not remembering my dreams.

I kinda just didn't care. Lool.

However, after smoking huge quantities of weed all of the time I have never ever never never had one dream or a nightmare.

When I was withdrawing from hydrocodone and had withdrawal from it I had nothing but bad horrible frightening nightmares quite often.

Possibly a nice solid Indica flower strain would help with nightmares. That's what they say at the weed store that Indica will help with relaxation and sleep.

I am sorry about nightmares they can be Very distressing !!! <3:weedleaf:

:):)👍

I have had unnerving dreams/nightmares/memories while I sleep. Been dealing with it for decades. Everything in pharma was tried and failed.
There was/is an option (for me) that I take advantage of and it was a looooonnnnggg time before I happened to stumble upon it. It is a benzodiazepine that I wont post/plug here but there are posts about it in several places and has a couple threads.
I used to throw elbows and knees in my sleep as if in CQC (amongst other things). Wife and I had to sleep in separate beds after a while cause last thing I wanna do is hurt her.
Stopped as soon as I tried a dose but didnt notice the freedom from those awful emotions/panic/stress caused by past traumas (I am told and can see it tbph hahaha) til maybe a year ago. Wife noticed it also. Had the same effect on a retired vet that I met quite a while back. There was one who was there and told me it was the first time she hasnt heard his screams and shit in years. I guess it worked until it ran out, IDK. He moved.
I know I am playing with fire with diazepines (1) but so far so good after a couple years dance with it.
I really hope the best with this as it is something I know all to well.
Maybe run through my recent posting history ya may see what I use. =D
:shrug:
Peace

That is so weird because I don't dream, or remember :(:oops: and I didn't know why I do not dream anymore.

At first I thought it was because I had used Norco. However, I wansn't 'allowed' to use marijuana at pain mngmt.

When I quit opiods I had to try to use weed instead and I thought I didn't dream because I had brain damage

from withdrawing from Norco. I didn't really care though so I didn't research it but I don't dream at all, or remember.

So very recently I had been taking a few gabapentins to help with my Kratom dosings . . . . . and all of a sudden

I started to dream again !! And I couldn't figure out why I was dreaming again. I thought that it might have had something to do

with the gabapentin.

And as far as not dreaming when smoking weed. That would be me. I usually smoke myself

to sleep unintentionally but I guess it happens.

I do smoke large amounts of weed and I never thought that it was the result of not remembering my dreams.

I kinda just didn't care. Lool.

However, after smoking huge quantities of weed all of the time I have never ever never never had one dream or a nightmare.

When I was withdrawing from hydrocodone and had withdrawal from it I had nothing but bad horrible frightening nightmares quite often.

Possibly a nice solid Indica flower strain would help with nightmares. That's what they say at the weed store that Indica will help with relaxation and sleep.

I am sorry about nightmares they can be Very distressing !!! <3:weedleaf:

:):)👍
not dreaming as u think(in fact u dreamt eventually,but do't remember this)means that u got noninterupted sleep...a good one....with all phases and cicles of dream architecture.quitting some drugs givin a strange dreams,stress factors..all outside and inside u-got impact too.nightmares-any one got.some less some more.could be invention even-someone or something other to got sneaked in ur dream,consious or subconsious....anything could be.send u a heart Kiely<3

Some people might not like this answer, and I don't know how into psychology people are here, but as the son of a Jungian analyst, and being someone who has been in all kinds of therapy most of my life, the true solution to nightmares is...dealing with whatever is wrong in your life that is causing them.

I mean, I'm not saying that certain drugs can't give you nightmares cause they can, so there are actual biological causes for them, but, generally speaking, when you have nightmares it's because your unconscious is trying to make you more aware of something that is wrong in your life that your conscious mind doesn't want to acknowledge. Think about your nightmares and try to figure out what they are telling you. Respect them. Then you are at least somewhat less likely to have them all the time.

Therapy helped somewhat.
Not quite enough, imo but I can wing it a couple more decades maybe idk

I didn't dream very often when I used marijuana every day a few years ago. Now I continue to consume it every day and I always have very vivid dreams, or sometimes I just don't dream. It's interesting, because I can identify "archetypal" patterns of thoughts, desires, interpretations of situations in the waking state and how I actually deal with them, all represented in dreams, which to me is fascinating, although it can be terrifying or overwhelming depending on the context of the dream and the moment in my life in which it happens. I don't think trying to turn off dreams is a blocked way, benzos or medications of that type can work, but they will also block other parts of your life that are very important, such as your feelings and your way of interpreting and integrating them healthily. Your thoughts, if you try to avoid them over time, will be more invasive and your ability to interpret them will be somewhat affected. Common thoughts can become manias and get out of control, natural desires can become horrible things in the way you see the world. So, unless you are a curious person who sees something valuable in what we all tend to repress, you can avoid your dreams and try to avoid them through external methods, but I would tell you that one way to know your mental structure is to work and analyze these phenomena. I don't think they have anything important to teach you on their own, but you can learn from what your mind represses or absorbs unconsciously.
Sorry for my bad English or if you can't understand it, I'll try to fix it.