Mental Health What happens to Schizo's on meds if they get liver or kidney disease

Boku_

Bluelighter
As someone who has been on anti-psychotic medications long term and as a person diagnosed with a Schizo type condition chances are i will require anti-psychotic medications for the rest of my natural life not too mention other medication like diazaipam occasionally so what happens to a person with my mental illness who is unfortunate to develop liver or kidney disease?

Is it a case of the person needing to instantly stop taking his medication because it is doing far to much damage to their liver or kidneys? I can't imagine the life expectancy for a person who requires medication daily to function and cope mentally would be that good if their liver packed it in or their kidneys failed and dialysis was needed to live.

I know you can always get a organ transplant if you are lucky but how many people die waiting in hospitals for a replacement liver or kidney.

Well, I'm not an expert by any means, however I think there's a few different points to this question that need addressing.

For starters, those with such a mental illness, if left untreated, have a bleak life expectancy in the first place (unless the Schizo type symptoms are drug induced and occured later in life- and even then, this can vary).

If you look at the prescribing information/pamphlet (can be found on google images or google search) for the anti-psychotic medication in question, they very well may have prescribing limits/indications based on their testing. I know that even for something like amphetamine, which is extremely hard on the kidneys and liver compared to some other types of medication, there is a dose per day limit for those with chronic kidney disease, etc.

Far too much damage to liver or kidneys, the human body cannot survive without either of these two organs. A medication taken properly without alcohol will generally not result in chronic kidney or liver disease, cirrhosis etc. One would hope that this would be caught before it occured as going to the doctor, routine checkups that occur with a strong prescribed medication generally take these things into account.

If a person has cirrhosis with kidney failure there's not much that can help them. Usually this is from alcohol, or a genetic/physiological issue. Even stopping a medication that's relatively heavy on the liver and kidneys will not do much compared to the root cause.

I know because I had hepatitis A, abused alcohol so fatty liver type symptoms along with kidney damage due to malnutrition and extensive stimulant abuse. I never went to a hospital during those worst times but afterwards they put two and two together. I'll tell you, I've never felt as terrible as when my kidneys weren't working properly, my liver was fucked up and I could neither eat food nor drink water due to withdrawal. Death would have been welcomed with an open invitation had it come knocking on my door. Once stopping alcohol, and the other drugs, I was able to fully recover from it though. So what I'm trying to say is that the meds you're taking might be helping more than they harm you, if they're stopping you from engaging in psychotic/risk-prone behavior and further damaging your body and mind.

I found out 6 months ago that I have cirrhosis. I am diagnosed with PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, Depression and Addiction. Maybe Hep C. I had it for 30 years but just finished Zepatier treatment and hopefully I am cured. I find out definitively in March ( but it looks good for me!)

I take 40mg Citalopram, 300mg Bupropion, .5mg Clonazapam, 1ml (1mg per 1ml) Risperidone, Alysena birth control for hormones, 6 x 5/325mg Oxycocet and 4 x 3mg Hydromorph Contin. None of these medications have had a negative affect on my liver.

I will never go off psychiatric medications as even medicated I have suicidal ideations. I would rather die in control of myself than extend my life and be totally crazy.

Even smoking half a ball of crack (homemade) my bloodtests come back normal.

(If this is a double mods please delete it)