• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What does the medical community think of benzos and why do people abuse benzos?

AvenaSativa

Bluelighter
I'm diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've been put on all kinds of SSRIs and 2 antipsychotics (which I now tell doctors I refuse to take antipsychotics altogether.)

Prozac and Paxil have helped a good deal with my depression but minimally with my anxiety. Also my doctor gives me gabapentin and hydroxyzine, and they help with my anxiety. I even drink quite a bit of Kava and Chamomile tea.

But Xanax not only halts my panic attacks but it cures my constant feeling of anxiety, tension, and stress. Even after the effects are worn off it retains a therapeutic effect because it shows me that my anxiety isn't real.

What is unfortunate though is that I've had no success in getting a prescription. My feelings aren't hurt or anything but it is annoying having to buy my medicine like it's a drug. I HATE benzo highs, there's no eurphoria just memory loss and decreased coordination and judgment. If I wanted to get high I'd be buying percocets or weed (which makes me paranoid without Xanax.).

I've read about how it's good for "short term use only"-- I don't plan on taking psych meds my entire life, and all I allow myself is a max of 3 0.5mg a day. I'm not going to wind up hooked, and I believe former addicts when they say it's about as bad if not worse than opiate withdrawal. Xanax allows me to do things like actually show up to appointments and face people throughout the day.

So hopefully that wasn't too much and you can answer my 2 questions:
1) How does the medical community feel about benzos? Do you think they may have turned their back on benzos due to abuse? My dad is a war vet and even got his taken away although he never got addicted or anything. How cautious are doctors in prescribing it?
and
2) Why do people abuse Xanax!? The times I have taken too much I didn't even notice any effects, I thought I was completely sober but people would tell me I'm stoned and loopy! This is a miracle drug for my anxiety but it sucks so much for any recreational value, I really like opiates but can't see what anyone would find recreational about this pill. My brother-in-law even got me to try "bar juice" once when I lived in Louisiana. Never again.

Last edited:
1. every doc is different the good ones will stop the script if they see you abusing it...for example if they see you asking for more, getting refills to soon and some dont give a shit and continue to prescribe them to someone like its candy, but see heres the thing people blame doctors for giving them out but dont own up to their mistakes when they didnt listen and didnt take benzos the way they were prescribed

2. many people dont abuse xanax on purpose....that is the shitty part of taking benzos is that, you might think your doing fine then all of a sudden the reality hits you in the face that youve become physically/mentally addicted to them

which is understandable because who wouldnt keep taking them when it works and all else fails?
ive been on my share of AD's,anti histamines, benzos and nothing can compare to a good quality benzo
if i didnt have such strong will power i wouldve been abusing them a long time ago also.. why? because they work...plain and simple
when i got my first taste of a ativan after 8 yrs of struggling it was instant bliss

the real reality is that benzos is a double edge sword they work, but they also fuck you up
benzos are for people who get anxiety because of environmental issues such as a death in a family, work, stress etc
xanax is not for people with GAD and depression because the therapeutic effects of benzos simply dont last long thats why SSRI's are prescribed more than benzos

benzos abuse sob story's are sad but at the same time people know that they are playing with fire

Last edited:
1) I think the medical literature generally supports the idea that benzodiazepines (and Xanax in particular, since it's one of the most common in the USA) aren't particularly addictive. Continual, persistent use can lead to physical dependency but that's not the same as an addictive drug...other drugs (such as heart medications) also require medical supervision to discontinue, but that =/= addictiveness (characterized by increasing doses, "drug seeking behavior", etc) Benzodiazepines are still schedule IV so they're still somewhat lenient about it...personally I found that it was easy to be prescribed Xanax. I've been prescribed Xanax on and off a few times...I've been prescribed Ambien (not a benzo but works on the same neurotransmitters and is also schedule IV) for years. It depends on the doctor I guess. I was prescribed Xanax once because I had an usually fast heartbeat (I wasn't even in the doctor's office for anxiety, I was there for a completely different reason).

2) I don't know why people abuse Xanax. It's stupid. Polydrug addicts seem to like Xanax a lot (and other benzodiazepines).

I think the class of drug is fine on an as-needed basis. In other words, it's generally a good idea to manage your anxiety using your own coping mechanisms but when it becomes "acute" there's no fault in taking a minor tranquilizer to smooth things out. As a regimented, take-3-pills-every-day-for-months-on-end type of thing, though? Nah, not a good idea IMO

benzos are NOT for people with GAD and depression because the therapeutic effects of benzos simply dont last long thats why SSRI's are prescribed more than benzos

I've been prescribed Xanax specifically for "generalized anxiety disorder" in the past. In fact I think that's one of the indications it's specifically supposed to be prescribed for.

I've been prescribed Xanax specifically for "generalized anxiety disorder" in the past. In fact I think that's one of the indications it's specifically supposed to be prescribed for.
i was told otherwise
ill edit i meant that xanax is not for GAD due to xanax's extremely short half life diazepam or klonopin maybe but not xanax

I'm diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've been put on all kinds of SSRIs and 2 antipsychotics (which I now tell doctors I refuse to take antipsychotics altogether.)

Prozac and Paxil have helped a good deal with my depression but minimally with my anxiety. Also my doctor gives me gabapentin and hydroxyzine, and they help with my anxiety. I even drink quite a bit of Kava and Chamomile tea.

But Xanax not only halts my panic attacks but it cures my constant feeling of anxiety, tension, and stress. Even after the effects are worn off it retains a therapeutic effect because it shows me that my anxiety isn't real.

What is unfortunate though is that I've had no success in getting a prescription. My feelings aren't hurt or anything but it is annoying having to buy my medicine like it's a drug. I HATE benzo highs, there's no eurphoria just memory loss and decreased coordination and judgment. If I wanted to get high I'd be buying percocets or weed (which makes me paranoid without Xanax.).

I've read about how it's good for "short term use only"-- I don't plan on taking psych meds my entire life, and all I allow myself is a max of 3 0.5mg a day. I'm not going to wind up hooked, and I believe former addicts when they say it's about as bad if not worse than opiate withdrawal. Xanax allows me to do things like actually show up to appointments and face people throughout the day.

1) How does the medical community feel about benzos? Do you think they may have turned their back on benzos due to abuse? My dad is a war vet and even got his taken away although he never got addicted or anything. How cautious are doctors in prescribing it?
and
2) Why do people abuse Xanax!? The times I have taken too much I didn't even notice any effects, I thought I was completely sober but people would tell me I'm stoned and loopy! This is a miracle drug for my anxiety but it sucks so much for any recreational value, I really like opiates but can't see what anyone would find recreational about this pill. My brother-in-law even got me to try "bar juice" once when I lived in Louisiana. Never again.

Let me just try to tell that Xanax as a benzodiazepine action can 'stop' and in your opinion 'cure' like tension, stress and anxiety.
As a matter of fact a lot of drugs kill these symptoms, it does not mean you are cured, healed. It means you have to continue to use them and in a great doses as time goes by. This is called tolerance. So in 20 years from know, in order not to feel these emotions you would have to get prescriptions that no other doctor would give you. This would be the same as if I was given OxyContin every time I had pain, eventually the habit would have been created and the doses upgraded.

The difference between the two examples is that feeling tense, stressed and anxious is part of our life, work, marriage, and even strong feelings we develop while we are still young teennagers. Once the doctor notices this is more than what you can handle they'd normally help you out temporarily until you can deal with such issues by using mechanisms of defense of your own instinct. That's how most people grow old, mature.

I think by telling you that I have already answered your question 1 and in regards to question 2, people abuse drugs in general. It happens with alcohol, medication, cigarettes, etc, etc. Unfortunately this also happens to some of us who in a situation where we no longer feel pain but we want to feel like the first time we took the medication we keep doing it until addiction takes place.

That's life and shit happens. I hope I was able to make answer both of your questions.

and

Let me just try to tell that Xanax as a benzodiazepine can 'stop' and in your opinion 'cure' like tension, stress and anxiety. They do that temporarily, it does not mean you don't fear or you don't stress.

As a matter of fact a lot of drugs kill these symptoms, it does not mean you are cured, healed. It means you have to continue to use them and in greater doses as time goes by. This is called tolerance. So in 20 years from know, in order not to feel these emotions you would have to get prescriptions that no other doctor would give you. This would be the same as if I was given OxyContin every time I had pain, eventually the habit would have been created and the doses upgraded.

The difference between the two examples is that feeling tense, stressed and anxious is part of our life, work, marriage, (pain is also part of our life obviously) and even strong feelings we develop while we are still young teennagers. Once the doctor notices this is more than what you can handle they'd normally help you out temporarily until you can deal with such issues by using mechanisms of defense of your own instinct. That's how most people grow old, mature.

I think by telling you that I have already answered your question 1 and in regards to question 2, people abuse drugs in general. It happens with alcohol, medication, cigarettes, etc, etc. Unfortunately this also happens to some of us who in a situation where we no longer feel pain, but we want to feel like the first time we took the medication for that we keep doing it until addiction takes place.

That's life and shit happens. I hope I was able to answer both of your questions.

Last edited:
well i can tell you this based on my experience and my talks with people in nursing programs, physcs, at my college and a few family members who practice medicine. i am 19 i was able to obtain benzos at 17. from my shrink. hes an older guy and was going to college when they told you benzos are safe, although he fully made me aware of what i was getting into as if i didnt know. but this is when barbiturates started to never get scripted. so no barbs or halcion just benzos. was on .5 3x daily daily just for sleep. so to answer your question people now are being taught IN MY COLLEGE to use lyrica then klonopin then ativan then Xanax if all those fail.

your second question if yer nervous or having a full blown panic attack 1mg would probably somewhat euphoric to a benzo naive individual. some abuse them to potentate opiates and im pretty sire i dont have to tell you why thats a bad idea. i like them with alcohol but that is for another reason. sorry if my spelling is fucking been typing all day and im baked. just to note i intentionally got put back on klonopin. had i not done that i would be in a way worse situation that i am now.

The thing is for how long? If it resolves panic attack of course you should have it but then treated properly with other adequate medications. Or else, like I mentioned before - 1 mg now would be 1 mg x 5 or 6 (daily) ? in few years from now.

Even better, why not trying to treat the panic attack which I understand is an example but based on what I have been told by doctors what happens when nurses of the hospital don't administer the prescribed dose, considering the person could be admitted in a hospital. If they refuse to give the prescribed benzos from his Doctor while he's in there. That could happen any time.

Benzodiazepines are necessary but I do believe it should be temporarily used for obvious reasons. Tolerance being one of them and the fact that there are specific meds these days to treat specific conditions, although I personally don't like them.

Last edited: