• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What do you think of the Insane Clown Philosophy?

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
In an interview with ICP, Violent J responded to a guy who suggested he read a book and learn how magnets work.... To which he responded, "It's more fun to be the dumb guy, that way you can appreciate all these things" This made the message of "miracles" all to clear

In other words... if you know how magnets work, then magnets are no longer cool. Basically, learning reality destroys aesthetic value. Skies, mountains, volcanos and stuff were probably much more interesting to the ancient people than they are to us. Because they had no idea how these things work. Therefore, volcanoes used to be awesome, until science came along... now that we know what a volcano is, a volcano is no longer interesting.

Another thing to factor is.. What use do Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope have for science? If Violent J studied medicine, do you think he could find the cure for any disease? What if Shaggy 2 Dope studied technology? Do you think we'd have a 500 ft. juggalo mobile suit that he can pilot and defend the Earth Federation from the forces of Zeon?
Do you think they could create everlasing Faygo that never goes flat by studying carbonation? In other words... Would scientific education bring any impact on the lives of ICP? Would they become better rappers? I mean... they're not scientists, they're rappers. I'm sure if they tried to do something scientific, they'd fail. And if ICP should learn about science, then so should you right?
Should some guy working a taco bell buy a book on Quantum Physics and study it? Do you seriously think he could become a rocket scientist just through education? That's not how the system works. Being a scientist is a specialized field nowadays, it's not something anybody can do if they just read a book or look stuff up online... At least when it comes to inventing new things or discovering new things?

So... what would happen if ICP learned about magnets?
nothing...
It would have no impact on the world other than ICP knowing how fucking magnets work. This is sort of a slap in the face to Kantian ethics. You see... Kant pretty much thought that if something is right... imagine a world where everyone, everywhere did this all the time? If you would not want to live in that world then the action is immoral.

What if everyone in the entire world rejected learning and cared only about surviving and having fun? We'd get nowhere. We'd still be in caves if the whole world had that attitude.
However, Kantian ethics are really fucked up when you actually analyze them. So why let him be the judge?

So how could a regular, non-rapper, non-celebrity practice the ICP lifestyle? Simple... Get just enough education to where you can find a job that's both enjoyable and pays enough money to satisfy you... and if the job isn't enjoyable, then find a hobby or something to make the rest of your life enjoyable, smoke weed, drink, get pussy, or whatever it takes to make you happy.
Now that you have enough money to survive, and enough fun to make you happy... Stop learning.
You're done now....
You never need to pick up a book again... Instead, reject new forms of knowledge in favor of maintaining some special, mysterious asthetic about everything. Because not knowing anything can help you appreciate everything... basically, ignorance is bliss

i think i see where you're coming from in the first part of your post, the 'ignorance is bliss' thing. i have felt it too a few times. i think that the troubling part of it would be that one could conclude that appreciation/beauty and understanding cannot coexist.

and then, on the "What if everyone in the entire world rejected learning and cared only about surviving and having fun? We'd get nowhere. We'd still be in caves if the whole world had that attitude." part. i guess that yes, and what's the problem? if technologic progress (starting from the fire and the wheel) is fueled by insatisfaction then a society of satisfied individuals wouldn't develop it. it wouldn't matter though - they wouldn't have to "get anywhere" - because they'd already be OK with it.

i think the catch is, to what point do we need to understand, to learn, to make progress? from one point of view, no progress is necessary (the "satisfied society"), and from another one, no progress is enough. i think a lot of people lived and will live their entire lives in constant insatisfaction, always pursuing something, whatever it is. it is an ultimately pointless pursuit if you consider that we all die in the end. what does man need that isn't already within his reach? (don't people go great lengths after 'happiness' or whatever only to "find out it was right under their noses" all the time?) that is pretty much what the first chapter of Walden is all about, i guess (if i got it right), somewhat of a diss to greed. you might be interested in reading it... there is much more on the subject that would fit in a single forum post... and i have trouble organizing my thoughts 8(

So to musicians who study and learn music, music suddenly would become uncool or not beautiful? I would think not. Learning about scientific matters is no different. Using magnets as the topic at hand, I would argue knowing how they work makes them more beautiful both aesthetically and scientifically. Just because a physicist knows that invisible fields of electromagnetic radiation are involved in how magnets work, makes it no less "miraculous" that it actually happens.

i think i see where you're coming from in the first part of your post, the 'ignorance is bliss' thing. i have felt it too a few times. i think that the troubling part of it would be that one could conclude that appreciation/beauty and understanding cannot coexist.

and then, on the "What if everyone in the entire world rejected learning and cared only about surviving and having fun? We'd get nowhere. We'd still be in caves if the whole world had that attitude." part. i guess that yes, and what's the problem? if technologic progress (starting from the fire and the wheel) is fueled by insatisfaction then a society of satisfied individuals wouldn't develop it. it wouldn't matter though - they wouldn't have to "get anywhere" - because they'd already be OK with it.

i think the catch is, to what point do we need to understand, to learn, to make progress? from one point of view, no progress is necessary (the "satisfied society"), and from another one, no progress is enough. i think a lot of people lived and will live their entire lives in constant insatisfaction, always pursuing something, whatever it is. it is an ultimately pointless pursuit if you consider that we all die in the end. what does man need that isn't already within his reach? (don't people go great lengths after 'happiness' or whatever only to "find out it was right under their noses" all the time?) that is pretty much what the first chapter of Walden is all about, i guess (if i got it right), somewhat of a diss to greed. you might be interested in reading it... there is much more on the subject that would fit in a single forum post... and i have trouble organizing my thoughts 8(

For me, I think the idea is more about how much progress and knowledge an individual needs rather than society

A scientist for example, obviously has more of a responsibility to learn and discover new things than the assistant manager at Burger King does. An economist has more of a nessasaity to learn math than a police officer does.
Does that mean scientists and economics are better or more important people? Not really. So I think the amount of knowledge and education a person needs is relative to what they hope to achieve in the world.

For ICP, writing lyrics and having a flow is more important than learning how magnets work. Why? Because they're rappers. However, someone working in the field of robots has to learn about magnetism to some extent.

So to musicians who study and learn music, music suddenly would become uncool or not beautiful? I would think not. Learning about scientific matters is no different. Using magnets as the topic at hand, I would argue knowing how they work makes them more beautiful both aesthetically and scientifically. Just because a physicist knows that invisible fields of electromagnetic radiation are involved in how magnets work, makes it no less "miraculous" that it actually happens.

That's a good point, because if you take any sceintific fact, and add the word "Why?" after it... eventually you'll hit a point where science can no longer provide an answer

In other words... if you know how magnets work, then magnets are no longer cool. Basically, learning reality destroys aesthetic value. Skies, mountains, volcanos and stuff were probably much more interesting to the ancient people than they are to us. Because they had no idea how these things work. Therefore, volcanoes used to be awesome, until science came along... now that we know what a volcano is, a volcano is no longer interesting.
not at all. ymmv.
get pussy
how are you doing on that front? :)

science doesn't really seek to - or even claim to - answer the "why?". science is about "how?" and "what?" (which, for many , informs "why?").

alasdair

Now I know what insane clown posse is.

It sounds like a trailer trash way of saying the world, despite our current understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental forces of nature, is still a mystery. We have formulas to understand how they work, but when you go deep enough, magnets and electromagnetism are still a mystery. Instead of sounding like they are celebrating ignorance and illiteracy, why can't they same something like the more we know, the more we realize we don't understand.