• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What combination of prescription drugs most improve academic performance?

pharmaintrigued

Greenlighter
I am a college student and I recently began seeing a psychiatrist for depression. She prescribed me Fluoxitine (Prozac) and later added Buprorion (Wellbutrin). I noticed minor improvement in my mood, however, I also noticed my thoughts became more focused, my writing better, and my performance on exams much improved. This improvement sparked my interest as I have taken Adderall in the past during exam season as a study aid.

I am wondering to what extent do SSRIs and NDRIs either by themselves or in combination of Adderall have on academic performance/mental abilities?

I've also read that certain medications prescribed to patients with dementia or Alzheimers such as Aricept, in conjunction with Adderall results in a significant improvement in mental abilities. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Nootropics are what you are looking for. You might experiment with piracetam for starters. They are cognitive enhancers that do not produce a high.

depression also has a pretty measurable negative effect on academic performance, what you may be seeing is not a result of performance enhancement but instead a return to homeostasis

I am a college student and I recently began seeing a psychiatrist for depression. She prescribed me Fluoxitine (Prozac) and later added Buprorion (Wellbutrin). I noticed minor improvement in my mood, however, I also noticed my thoughts became more focused, my writing better, and my performance on exams much improved. This improvement sparked my interest as I have taken Adderall in the past during exam season as a study aid.

I am wondering to what extent do SSRIs and NDRIs either by themselves or in combination of Adderall have on academic performance/mental abilities?

I've also read that certain medications prescribed to patients with dementia or Alzheimers such as Aricept, in conjunction with Adderall results in a significant improvement in mental abilities. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Adderall and SS(N)RI's do not mix well in my experience. The SSRI takes the effects of Adderall and tweaks it. Making it feel much more "dirty" in it's effects. In combination with SSRI's, I've noticed that it also makes me "dissociate" in the same manner as when I have an episode of anxiety brought on by PTSD.

As for anti-Alzheimer drugs, Memantine and other NMDA-Antagonists are well-known to increase the effects of all monoaminergic stimulants. However, in my experience - taking an NMDA antagonist (only one I've ever taken with amps is DXM) triples amphetamines "tweakiness".

In my experience it makes you thrice as tweaky, gives you heart palpitations that last for hours, and a near overwhelming amount of anxiety. I'm of the opinion that you should take Amphetamine(s) alone. Adding anything on top of that usually just invites the possibility of exaggerated side-effects.

Memantine and methylphenidate work well together in my experience ... with DXM you have to be aware that in low dosages it behaves mainly as a SNRI (and sigmaergic?). DXM and MPH gave me bad peripheral things too. With the NRI effect you have potentiated NE which is not what you want.

But what appears to be bad too is piracetam plus stimulant. Intense tension and anxiety.

^ my experience is different, regarding amps and piracetam. I find piracetam,it mildly potentiates amphetamine but it can lead to a slight more anxious experience but not always and generally I do much better on exams with piracetam and amps vs just amps . fwiw

what can be positively mixed with memantine? i thought it can kind of reset tolerances towards various substances like benzos, alcohol or some drugs, but im having trouble with the reports as it is mostly speculative by various people who claim knowledge about it.