• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What can I take to give me relief from this sudden onset of severe shaking due to a stressful event?

Fraypedals

Greenlighter
My dad just passed due to Covid. I'm stuck in a rural area in a not developed country with no proper healthcare.

The news has got me not being able to get out of bed and uncontrollably shaking whenever I wake up. So I just want to sleep all the time. Can't even eat.

What can I take that could give me fast relief and allow me to function normally during these high stress times? I need to be able to function because my family needs me right now.

I don't have the luxury of time nor resources to get proper treatment. I need something to get me through these couple of days - or maybe a week, or two. I will then seek proper treatment.

Thank you for any pointers.

Benzos.
Alprozelam is good for panic attacks.
Diazepam / Clonazepam is better for long term anxiety.
You'll get them from doctor, considering your situation.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm reading about it and a common side effect seems to be drowsiness or sleepiness. Is there an alternative that would do the job without that side effect?

I'm already sleepy all the time due to this stress and that's a feeling I want to get rid of. I need to be active.

Last edited:
I don't really enjoy weed. Tried to for years but it actually makes me more anxious, as well as paranoid (which I never feel). Plus, I can't get any here.

Hi OP, sorry for your loss. What resources do you have available to you right now? Can you go to the doctor for a prescription?

It sounds to me like you're suffering from anxiety. It can (paradoxically) cause sleepiness. A low dose of a benzo like diazepam could be helpful.

Hi OP, sorry for your loss. What resources do you have available to you right now? Can you go to the doctor for a prescription?

It sounds to me like you're suffering from anxiety. It can (paradoxically) cause sleepiness. A low dose of a benzo like diazepam could be helpful.
Hi. And sorry for your loss.

^^^This.

^^^Or this.

Something like Alprozalam (a low dose e.g. 0.25mg which is usually the minimum) will possibly only make you sleepy or lethargic at first for a very short time like maybe a day or two. After that: life pretty much returns to normal (without the anxiety or panic attacks or sleepless nights) only better. Doesn't last forever though i.e. soon enough you'll require a slightly higher dosage to feel the same. But from what I gather: long term use or abuse is most definitely not your intention so no problem there I don't think. That being said: this precisely the type of thing that Benzodiazapenes were invented for i.e. they're not the evil drug they're made out to be (UNLESS used long term and/or abused). So you've been given good advice by all I reckon.

Weed: no offense to @Shady's Fox but I don't see that as an option unless you're one of those individuals that can actually function physically and with a clear head after a joint (I'm not one of those people hence my just giving my two cents here).

Once again: sorry for your loss.

Thank you Luceluna and Dalpat007

What kind of doctor do I see to get alprazolam prescribed? Am I going to ER? If not, who do I ask to see and for what?

I was prescribed pregabalin a while ago for a back injury. I never took it. I read it's effective for anxiety. Would it work in my case? At what dose and frequency?

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm reading about it and a common side effect seems to be drowsiness or sleepiness. Is there an alternative that would do the job without that side effect?

I'm already sleepy all the time due to this stress and that's a feeling I want to get rid of. I need to be active.
If you want something which really works and not some bullshit anti-depressant which have worse side effects in the long run, just go with the benzos.
Pregabalin can help you, but it's not nearly as effective as benzos are.
What kind of doctor do I see to get alprazolam prescribed? Am I going to ER? If not, who do I ask to see and for what?
Depends on the country you're in. I think it's not allowed to give names to any "good" doctors here.
Your situation is severe enough, for you to get them from ER or something.
Psychiatrist might give them to you too.

Thank you Luceluna and Dalpat007

I was prescribed pregabalin a while ago for a back injury. I never took it. I read it's effective for anxiety. Would it work in my case? At what dose and frequency?

A GP will be able to prescribe you a benzo. Can you visit a GP where you are?

Pregabalin is prescribed for generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), but it sounds like you're suffering from an acute episode of anxiety, so it might not work for you. For your info, I am prescribed 100mg pregabalin daily for GAD.

A GP will be able to prescribe you a benzo. Can you visit a GP where you are?

Pregabalin is prescribed for generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), but it sounds like you're suffering from an acute episode of anxiety, so it might not work for you. For your info, I am prescribed 100mg pregabalin daily for GAD.

Yes I can see a GP. Do I ask to be prescribed alprazolam? What if I'm prescribed something else that's not the same class, like pregabalin?

Yes I can see a GP. Do I ask to be prescribed alprazolam? What if I'm prescribed something else that's not the same class, like pregabalin?

If I was in your position, I would ask to be prescribed a benzodiazepine and let the GP decide which one is most suitable.

I don't think the GP will prescribe pregabalin for the condition you describe, but if he does, he will be able to advise you of the dose and frequency.

Just take what he offers.
If you're from US you can ask the drug you've heard about.

Hi fraypedals! Sorry to hear about your predicament man but we can help you through it.

We dont generally allow sourcing, but if you want to send me a PM I can give you some advice based upon where you're located. In "developing countries", it is not uncommon for 0harmacies to dispense powerful sedatives like Benzodiazepines and/or Barbiturates without a prescription.

When you cant get a prescription per se, there are often double prescriber/pharmacy combinations that will set you up after a fee and a consultation. These rules are obviously not universal.

If you're looking for a strong anxiolytic medication, a Benzodiazepine is practical choice. As long as you're not combining them with other drugs or alcohol and aren't using them chronically, they're pretty safe and effective.

Medicines have hundreds of different names based upon where they are made or sold, but in general, any pharmacist will recognize some form of the word Benzodiazepine and they will help you out.

Hi fraypedals! Sorry to hear about your predicament man but we can help you through it.

We dont generally allow sourcing, but if you want to send me a PM I can give you some advice based upon where you're located. In "developing countries", it is not uncommon for 0harmacies to dispense powerful sedatives like Benzodiazepines and/or Barbiturates without a prescription.

When you cant get a prescription per se, there are often double prescriber/pharmacy combinations that will set you up after a fee and a consultation. These rules are obviously not universal.

If you're looking for a strong anxiolytic medication, a Benzodiazepine is practical choice. As long as you're not combining them with other drugs or alcohol and aren't using them chronically, they're pretty safe and effective.

Medicines have hundreds of different names based upon where they are made or sold, but in general, any pharmacist will recognize some form of the word Benzodiazepine and they will help you out.

Hi Keif, thanks. I tried PMing you but it says "oops we ran into some problems". Could you try from your end? Maybe I can reply.

beta blockers such as propranolol help in such situations, at least for me (from what I've noticed)

I only shake like that in extreme social situations such as a fight, getting fired, asking a beautiful girl out, etc...... but it helps

beta blockers are sometimes off label prescribed for this, and social anxiety, things like that.... helps keep adrenaline in check

I can think back and only noticed myself shaking a handful of times in my life due to stressful social situations... these days it's usually from alcohol withdrawal

edit: just looked it up, it's actually on label script for tremors... may be worth seeking out... likely very easy to get from a doctor since it can't be abused (compared to benzos)

I've been prescribed to it for social anxiety in the past, but these days I take it regularly for blood pressure

Last edited:
Yeah I'd advocate benzos for this sort of situation but only for 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't take Alprazolam JUST for anxiety because of its short half-life, Alprazolam is better suited for sudden panic attacks. Imo Clonazepam is the best choice for Anxiety or good old Diazepam as both of these benzos have long half-lives.

Last edited:
My dad just passed due to Covid. I'm stuck in a rural area in a not developed country with no proper healthcare.

The news has got me not being able to get out of bed and uncontrollably shaking whenever I wake up. So I just want to sleep all the time. Can't even eat.

Wow, I am so, so sorry to hear of your father's passing. Do you mind disclosing which country you are from? I am sure there are a few doctors out there who could at least prescribe something to calm you down, at least in the interim.

Thank you all. I tear up when I read someone saying that they are sorry...

I went to the hospital ER and sure enough I was prescribed Alprazolam - three 500mcg pills. I didn't ask for it. Just told her why I was there and she was nice and very sympathetic and consoling. I didn't expect that, nor did I expect my self to choke up like I did.

She told me to take half "as needed". I just took half an hour and fifteen mins ago. I feel absolutely nothing yet. Such tiny pill.

A quick Google search says I should feel it's affect in 1-2 hours - or is that when it peaks? So give it 1 more hour? How long does the effect last? I asked her that but I couldn't quite understand the response, but from what I gather, it isn't long - a few hours maybe. I'm wondering if 3 pills are enough in that case. Will it even be effective at this dose?

I think I got my first panic attack yesterday. Putting in the symptoms on Google came back "panic attack". While climbing the stairs I felt like a cold rush, like I was hit hard on the back of my head, ringing, and my vision suddenly had a white frame. Heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack but the symptoms seem to be more in line with a panic attack. I mentioned that to the doctor but she didn't say panic attack. She did say I gave anxiety though, but didn't think I was depressed.

@dalpat077 Thank you for your kind words. It's crazy. I also didn't know anyone that got Covid, let alone died from it.

Hearing about it all the time and yet somehow I felt distant from it. Like something that is only happening to people behind digital screens. Definitely wasn't expecting it to affect me this closely.

The worst that had crossed my mind was that if "I" got it, I'd be asymptomatic or recover from it with no major difficulty.

He was healthy too. Took good care of himself. Zero underlying ailments. Suddenly he couldn't carry himself. A trip to the hospital and they say nothing is wrong with him and send him back.

But it was obvious something was wrong with him because it's not normal to suddenly not be able to make it to the bathroom.

So they take him back to the hospital and this time they put him on oxygen because his oxygen level was low.
At this time his covid test results from his first visit comes back negative. Wierd.

He is in the hospital 2 days and they take another test. This time it comes back positive.

He's in the hospital on oxygen for almost a month. He seemed to be doing OK, calling my brother and telling him to get him out of there.

His level got to 93 I think. They wanted it to be 100, which it did, the day before they put him on ventilator. So strange. They tell my family congrats that he has reached 100, and the next day he is on ventilator.
The day after that he passes.

Stay safe everyone. Covid is no joke.

@dalpat077 Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Sorry about your friends and what you are going through. One thing that somewhat calms me down is the fact that we are all going to die sooner or later and the belief that we will meet once again. Maybe you can take solace in that. I know I would be in a much worse condition (even though I can't imagine anything worse) if I chose not to think that way.

About the prescription, It was 0.5mg that I was prescribed (500mcg = 0.5mg, if I'm not mistaken. Had to look it up). So 3 x 0.5mg. I took half (0.25mg) so far and I really couldn't tell if it did anything.

How am I supposed to feel anyway? What does it feel like? What are some distinct things that I should feel when it kicks in to let me know that it is indeed working?

I read here a few mins ago about taking it sublingual. Would that make a difference in terms of the speed of which it effects and the intensity? And how about empty stomach vs full? And lastly, XR? Should I opt for that next time?

Last edited:
Hello.

Thanks very much for sharing something so personal. That's a terrible set of circumstances and extremely lousy the way it all happened. I don't know what to say about this COVID thing anymore. I'm never sure whether to blame the powers that be and the medical professionals for being sloppy or whether to be understanding by reminding myself that it is something new and everybody is still not 100% sure of what it is that we're dealing with. I suppose the one thing that DOES surprise me is that with all of the technology and know how that we supposedly have nowadays: an unknown virus has managed to bring the world to its knees in more ways than one.

As far as your feelings and grief and grieving is concerned: I wish there was more that I could say but I'm not the right person to ask to provide encouragement. I lost two of my best friends and my worlds: one in January 2015 and the other in September 2019. And right up until today: there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about either. Some days are worse than others. And some days I'll break down and blubber like a baby (and I'm 55 years old now). In my case: it's never gone away and it never will. And for what it's worth: it's the main reason why I'm BACK on 2mg Alprozalam per day and Prozac (antidepressant) and have been for the last few weeks. The state of my personal life and the fallout of the COVID lockdowns simply added to all of this and I couldn't anymore. I know for a fact that had I not elected to go back onto antidepressants and Alprozalam I'd not be sitting here typing this to you today because I had reached a very very dark place. Not that they've helped that much i.e. just keeping the wolf at the door at the moment is all. And there will come a time soon enough when they'll not be having the desired effect anymore.

With reference to the above paragraph: everybody grieves in different ways. And there are many different factors involved i.e. personal feelings, how close you were, how often you saw each other, how much time you spent together, the list goes on. I'd love to be able to say to you that it gets better with time and that time heals everything. That has not worked for me. But I am really and truly hoping that it works for you. Because sadness and sorrow are killers in and of themselves (and you don't even have to be physically dead but may as well be). I really do wish you the best though.

With regard to the medication given to you: I don't know if you've either made a mistake with the dosage you've provided (500mcg pills) or if you've been given something different or the nurse made a mistake. All I do know is that Alprozalam (in most all countries anyway) ONLY comes out in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, and 1.0mg. So I really don't know what that's about. Furthermore and from my experience: 1mg of Alprozalam take about an hour with me to reach what I suppose would be a peak and I'm feeling the full effects. From there it starts wearing off slowly and will take anywhere between 6 and 12 hours for half of its action to have ceased.

From the state that you're in and from what you're describing: I doubt that three pills are going to be enough i.e. I'm sure there's still a lot of arrangements to be made and not so nice things to happen in the next few days. You'd probably be better off getting a prescription for two weeks or so in my opinion. And it depends on your size and physical and genetic makeup. I'm a relatively stocky and solid chap that usually weighs around 90kg - 95kg and have a high tolerance to just about anything for some or the other reason (genetics I suspect i.e only answer I can come up with because for sure I'm not, at this time, tolerant to Alprozalam). Good news: you could always NOW go and see a GP and tell him the hospital gave you 3 x 0.25mg Alprozalam and they helped but not much and please can you give me a prescription for say 0.5mg x 1 per day for two weeks. And by the way: Alprozalam has antidepressant qualities as well and two weeks isn't long enough to become tolerant and dependent so you should be good to go.

But again: my sympathies. I may not be able to empathize with you adequately but I certainly know what it' like to deal with loss and sadness and sorrow that eats you away. And in my case: antidepressants and benzodiazapenes (Alprozalam) do help and do what they're supposed to do. I hope the same will apply in your case.

If you need any more information or just a friendly chat or shoulder to cry on: you just need ask or reach out.

I wish you the best.

Hey,

at first my condolences, fucking Corona - sorry for your loss!

I would suggest also Lorazepam, sublingual shortly before. But of course if I could choose i would take alprazolam ,but for in between , when some bad thoughts come up i find Lorazepam better than alprazolam.

Greetings,

JJ