• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc What can I safely take for oral pain?

NorwegianElkhound

Bluelighter
I have a killer toothache due to wisdom teeth, and I am on vivitrol (naltrexone therapy). So opioids are out of the question at the moment. I've been taking acetominophen, but I'm afraid of liver damage because I have to keep taking it throughout the day to keep the pain down. I'm terrified of getting my wisdom teeth removed because there is no guarantee I'll be able to take opioids to deal with the pain. Any suggestions?

Ibuprofen works best for me for tooth pain. It’s not exciting, but I find it works the best.

- VE

I have a killer toothache due to wisdom teeth, and I am on vivitrol (naltrexone therapy). So opioids are out of the question at the moment. I've been taking acetominophen, but I'm afraid of liver damage because I have to keep taking it throughout the day to keep the pain down. I'm terrified of getting my wisdom teeth removed because there is no guarantee I'll be able to take opioids to deal with the pain. Any suggestions?

If it's having your wisdom teeth out they should probably give you Tramadol or Vicodin 5's. If not I'd recommend Ibuprofen and Tylenol 3.

I'd avoid opiate/opioid containing products. Paracetamol or Ibuprofen should suffice. You can even take them together to enhance analgesia.

He's on naltrexone which is designed to block all opiates/opioids, so tramadol and codeine are not gonna work. I would ask your dentist, but NSAIDs are probably your best bet, or maybe naprofen.
I've had my wisdom teeth out, and the dentist just numbed them and I didn't need any painkillers at all, so maybe you're just using this as an excuse to relapse?? No judgements btw, I had my wisdom teeth out before I got into opiates.

He's on naltrexone which is designed to block all opiates/opioids, so tramadol and codeine are not gonna work. I would ask your dentist, but NSAIDs are probably your best bet, or maybe naprofen.
I've had my wisdom teeth out, and the dentist just numbed them and I didn't need any painkillers at all, so maybe you're just using this as an excuse to relapse?? No judgements btw, I had my wisdom teeth out before I got into opiates.

Ahh I missed that. So yeah, I would also recommend NSAIDs. If you can I'd get a strong one like Diclofenic or Naproxen.

The best NSAID for pain In my opinion is toradol- There is an oral form. How do you feel mood wise on naltrexone? i would never touch that stuff.Afraid it would further mess up my reward system

This may be a fucking stupid suggestion, but i have had a toothache once, as a regular coke smoker, i said what the hell, rubbed some coke on said sore area, but yeah thats a pretty stupid solution, dont reccomend

Hey guys, here's an update. The tooth that was bothering me was removed yesterday. They didn't need to cut me open, just pulled it out and stitched me up. Ibuprofen works just fine! The pain without ibuprofen is really not any more painful than the original toothache anyway. Thanks for the replies!

And no, I don't see it as an excuse to relapse. The only time I've had opioids prescribed was after a car accident and I didn't abuse them at all, because I was actually in pain. There comes a time when their legitimate use is needed.

Hey guys, here's an update. The tooth that was bothering me was removed yesterday. They didn't need to cut me open, just pulled it out and stitched me up. Ibuprofen works just fine! The pain without ibuprofen is really not any more painful than the original toothache anyway. Thanks for the replies!

And no, I don't see it as an excuse to relapse. The only time I've had opioids prescribed was after a car accident and I didn't abuse them at all, because I was actually in pain. There comes a time when their legitimate use is needed.

Agreed, but unfortunately even ones like me who are prescribed lotsa ops for severe chronic pain tend to occasionally take recreational doses and thats just because the tempt is strong at times plus the extra pain relief is even more tempting

Agreed, but unfortunately even ones like me who are prescribed lotsa ops for severe chronic pain tend to occasionally take recreational doses and thats just because the tempt is strong at times plus the extra pain relief is even more tempting

That's kinda scary because if I ever am in a situation where I do need opioids, I'm afraid I won't be able to get them, because of my "history" and the fact that so many people abuse their meds.

OP, I'm really sorry that you've gotta go through this. I don't know if you're a believer in a higher power, but I've always had a very strong belief in some kind of cosmic authority. My point is, I'd be screaming at my creator "I'm trying to do the right thing here, can you kindly stop fucking with me?" ;) In all seriousness, I'm aware that tooth pain can be some of the most severe pain there is.

You have a lot of choices luckily.

Ibuprofen (Advil) - This is metabolized through the kidneys which makes it a first-line choice for folks like us with compromised livers

Naproxen (Aleve) - This is also acceptable. It works well for me.

Warm Compress/Cold Compress - This is totally your call, but I feel that combined with the analgesics, it could feel good.

Saline - Get some warm saline and swish it around in your mouth if you can.

Local Anesthetic - I would maybe find something with lidocaine in it and try to apply that to the effected area. This could give you some serious relief if you're actually able to apply it directly to the site in question.

I would start with this stuff. If the pain gets so severe that you can't handle it, you can always go to the hospital. I really don't think that they will give you a lot of shit. You're on the shot and clearly trying to do the right thing. If you need anything including advice regarding what to do/say at the hospital, don't hesitate to contact one of us. We have your back. It's only temporary and soon it will be a distant memory!

That said, (over-the-counter) otc pain medicines such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin can all reduce the pain, but none of these treats the cause. Always check with your doctor if you can safely take any new medication, and see you dentist for evaluation and treatment of dental pain as soon as possible.