• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

What Bug Sprays Are Safe to Smoke? State and Federal Law May Require Poison-Free Pot

LogicSoDeveloped

Bluelighter
State regulators want to know what sort of chemicals marijuana growers apply to their crops. Scheduled to issue growing licenses in mid-August—less than five months away—the Washington State Liquor Control Board has reached out to industry professionals for real-world advice on what biocides local growers dust on their dope. In an e-mail sent last Friday, comptroller Mike Steenhout asked recipients to "provide a list of all pesticides or any other compounds that you would ever apply to a marijuana plant."

Why? State and federal law requires all commercial pesticides be registered for the specific crop on which they are used.

"If you are using a product for a crop that's not listed on the label, that's a misuse and a violation of the federal pesticide law," says Chad Schulze of the Environmental Protection Agency. "Not only do you need your [pesticides] registered for that crop, you need what's called a tolerance for that crop."

The only products approved for pot in this country "were registered to kill it as a weed," says Schulze.

With no pot-approved bug juice in the United States, regulators may require all legal pot to be pesticide-free. The Washington State Department of Agriculture has authority over pesticides in the state. "Just because it's approved on the federal level doesn't mean it can be used in Washington," says Joy Harkness, who staffs the state's Pesticide Help Desk. She explains that every product on the WSDA pesticide list is on the EPA list, but not vice versa.

"No pesticide use is technically legal on cannabis under federal law," says David Lampach from Steep Hill Lab, the lead testing lab for the state's new pot consulting team. That said, Steep Hill's website points to EPA tolerance limits for pesticides on hops, a cousin of the marijuana plant, which has more than 60 approved pesticides.

Can we really just look at the hops category when evaluating pot production? "Not at all," says Schulze from the EPA. "It really has to be specific to the crop you're using it on." So unless pesticide manufacturers hustle to add marijuana language to their labels, state regulators may be forced to require a pesticide-free pot industry. recommended

source: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/...ke/Content?oid=16348701#.UVhoeybaXa0.facebook

The pesticide-free option might be the way to go until further research is done on the behavior of pesticides in cannabis plants.

For some initial guidelines, though, it might be a good idea to look at pesticides approved for tobacco and industrial hemp. Tobacco pesticides should be relatively safe to smoke, and industrial hemp pesticide research might give some insight into how they behave in the plant. We're solving different problems for that, though; for example, chemicals that don't bioaccumulate in the hemp seeds or stalks or tobacco leaves might still concentrate themselves in the buds.

ive never thought about smoking pesticides on pot. would it be significantly worse than eating pesticides used on all the crops we eat?

^ Could be.
Some pesticides (and herbicides) may react to being incinerated, and change their chemical structure to something far more nefarious.
This is just conjecture, but isn't it better to assume this than the alternative?
One day there will be sufficient research, but until then, organic is the way to go.
Healthier for the consumer, for the farmer, for the earth...
Do bugs eat cannabis, anyway?
If so, I wonder if they get high.=D

And what kind of shit do they put in tobacco?

The major cigarette companies use radioactive pesticides due to low cost, and this actually increases the likelihood of cancer many times compared to completely organic tobacco.

This isn't to say organic tobacco is safe at all, it's just much more safe than major brands of cigarettes.

^ They shouldn't compromise health with poisoned cannabis, or any other consumable crops as well, if you ask me!

The major cigarette companies use radioactive pesticides due to low cost

Not to mention the joy of irradiating the poor!

ecovillains.jpg

Seriously though, radioactive pesticides?

Last edited:
The major cigarette companies use radioactive pesticides due to low cost, and this actually increases the likelihood of cancer many times compared to completely organic tobacco.

This isn't to say organic tobacco is safe at all, it's just much more safe than major brands of cigarettes.

No disrespect intended, but do you have a source for this? It's the first time I've heard of it. I'm not doubting you, I know how tobacco companies operate and that their morals are non-existant.

Seriously though, radioactive pesticides?

Yes, I believe it was a post by Hammilton that I read that contained this info, and a source to the info. I'm feeling lazy though so you can do your own research to confirm this.

No disrespect intended, but do you have a source for this? It's the first time I've heard of it. I'm not doubting you, I know how tobacco companies operate and that their morals are non-existant.

OK, I lied, I'm not feeling lazy at all

Tobacco smokers can also use this information to avoid radioactive brands of tobacco. American Spirit is one of a few companies that offers an organic line of cigarettes, and organic cigars are also available from a few companies. You can also grow your own tobacco, which is surprisingly easy and fun.

^maraming salamat po

(that's "thank you very much" in Tagalog. I like the way it sounds)

what is this gonna mean like Organic Pot now?

these fucking Organic people weasel their way into errthing