• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What are the effects of CBD alone?

PriestTheyCalledHim

Bluelighter
I've read about CBD and how some people take it alone, what are the effects of it besides that it helps people who have seizures and it can be used as a sleep aid? I realize that it doesn't get you high like THC does.

the way I understand it is that most of the medicinal part of cannabis lie in the CBD and CBN of the plant.

my personal experience with high cbd/no to low thc is that it will make you feel sedated but not high. Like tired, groggy, sort of hungry but you don't feel mentally stoned. I thought it was similar to how to feels 1-2 hours after you smoke, sort of when the high wear away and you're left all groggy and what not. body fog without so much mental fog, if that makes sense.

Personally I think people are focusing on CBD at the expense of THC because people forget just how medically valuable THC is. I would argue that it is just as useful as CBD, if not more so.

Here's an excerpt from the GW pharma Sativex website:

Of the cannabinoids listed above, only two cannabinoids have to date been well characterized – THC and CBD. Both THC and CBD have important pharmacology: THC has analgesic, anti-spasmodic, anti-tremor, anti-inflammatory, appetite stimulant and anti-emetic properties, whilst CBD has anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant, anti-psychotic, anti-oxidant, neuroprotective and immunomodulatory effects. CBD is not intoxicating and indeed it has been postulated that the presence of CBD in cannabis may alleviate some of the potentially unwanted side-effects of THC.

THC is the yin the CBD's yang as the sum is greater than the parts so if you isolate CBD you're really losing quite a lot of the beneficial effects of the THC. Other cannabinoids also interact to provide a therapeutic effect so you need the whole plant to get the most benefit.

We have had experience of isolating cannabinoids. Marinol is pure THC is sesame oil and works somewhat but really is useless in comparison to the real thing. We would have a similar sort of situation with CBD, but a low THC, high CBD plant would be more useful than a pure CBD drug. High CBD/low THC strains like Charlotte's web are used to treat severe intractable epilepsy such as in Dravet's syndrome. If you see above, CBD has anti-convulsant properties so this is probably is seems to work so well for these patients. On the other hand pain, if you see above THC has analgesic properties which is why a 1:1 THC:CBD strain might be more effective for a patient like me who suffers from neuropathic pain or a patient with nociceptive pain.

Last edited:
If you've ever smoked what's called schwag, mids, or even smoked herb that was old and improperly stored you'll get the effects of CBD.

It's relaxing, and can be enjoyable if it's night time and you want to get some rest. But the high does not last nearly as long as it does with high quality herb, or old herb that's properly stored.

^ sorry no offence but that's incorrect alpha. You are confusing CBD with CBN! Cannabinol is a production of degradation and when THCa is exposed to air it causes it to lose hydrogen molecules and oxidize, creating CBNa. With exposure to UV and/or heat we get CBN. When bud is stored in airtight jars in the dark this is minimized of course.

conversions1.jpg

^ sorry no offence but that's incorrect alpha. You are confusing CBD with CBN! Cannabinol is a production of degradation and when THCa is exposed to air it causes it to lose hydrogen molecules and oxidize, creating CBNa. With exposure to UV and/or heat we get CBN. When bud is stored in airtight jars in the dark this is minimized of course.

conversions1.jpg

OK I knew that when herb becomes old it does break down I thought it changed into CBD. So I guess what I posted about would be the effects of CBN then?

I smoked some old herb that this guy I used to be friends with had, that he found hidden in his truck in an old stash box that wasn't stored properly and it was not like high quality good herb that's fresh but it sure was relaxing at night and great for before bed.

Yes but it's not your fault because just about everywhere people seem to be confusing CBD with CBN. I constantly hear people say things like if you harvest your buds late you more CBD and this is what gives more of a relaxing, sedating, couch lock high but they're simply confusing CBD with CBN.

So to answer your question aged bud is higher in CBN because the THC breaks down into CBN.