• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What are the differences in effects between the various prescription amphetamines?

Kyoshi

Greenlighter
I am planning on taking a prescription amphetamine in the future in hopes of being able to focus easier and boost my productivity. What information should I know about before taking amphetamines and what are the differences in effects between the various types of amphetamines? %)

Don't overthink this. Just go get your Vyvanse or Adderall XR script and see how it works. You're trying to be functional, not get high, so just follow your doctor's advice.

Ritalin is typically more anxiogenic than Adderall, which in turn is more anxiogenic than Dexedrine. All of them can cause anxiety however (severe in some people), and your goal should be to find a drug and dose that allows you to concentrate and focus productively without causing you unease or panic and making you channel your mental energy into the sources of anxiety. IMHO, the only way you can really find that out is to try out whatever your doctor gives you, and decide what to do next according to how it affects you.

Personally I could never get on at all with any of them, but you may have more luck.

Last edited:
This is just my personal experience and others might disagree (also when I'm talking about Adderall and Dexedrine I mean the extended release forms never had IR pills). I think I should warn you that amphetamines are extremely addictive and you should only consider using them if you have enough self control to not become an addict.

Adderall: Seems to be the best to take to focus but also seems to cause the most anxiety. Another thing I found in my experience when using it recreationally, the first few times I did it I felt like I was on top of the world but the next couple times I tried it, it caused hours of paranoia and complete dysphoria.

Vyvanse: Some people love it but it doesn't seem to do much to me.

Dexedrine: My personal favorite because it's great for studying/working and fun. It's way smoother than Adderall, extremely euphoric and lasts a long time.

This is just my personal experience and others might disagree (also when I'm talking about Adderall and Dexedrine I mean the extended release forms never had IR pills). I think I should warn you that amphetamines are extremely addictive and you should only consider using them if you have enough self control to not become an addict.

Agreed. I would do plenty of research before getting into stims. We have some great info and personal accounts here on BL.

I agree when I had a choice between amphetamine and a hot girl and in a male in my twenties I was like cya. Do not go in atless your fully aware you might not have a exit if your genes and environment are just right.

This is just my personal experience and others might disagree (also when I'm talking about Adderall and Dexedrine I mean the extended release forms never had IR pills). I think I should warn you that amphetamines are extremely addictive and you should only consider using them if you have enough self control to not become an addict..
Agreed with completely! In my personal experiences as well, you have to attribute the self administration of the substance to a purpose (Eg school/work). The moment it is given improper use, or 'experimental' (purposeless) doses, it can quickly turn into abuse, leading to dependency.