• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Weird DXM Issues

klonopioid

Greenlighter
A while back I came across some sinus congestion pills that were said to have a 'cooling sensation', I assume to alleviate sinus issues.
Anyhow, each pill contained 325mg of acetaminophen, 5mg of phenylephrine, and 10mg of DXM. I ended up taking 12 of them, which was 120mg of DXM, 3,900mg of APAP, and 60mg of phenylephrine. I had previous experiences taking much higher doses of APAP and phenylephrine, so I knew that wouldn't be an issue.
For the first hour or so after taking the pills, I experienced mild dissociation and some dizziness. But after about 2 hours, I began to experience extreme waves of nausea, motion sickness(the slightest movement of my head would set it off), diarrhea, burning in my stomach, hyperventilating, racing heartbeat, dry heaving, and this strange cold feeling in the back of my neck and throat. By far one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I was practically wishing for death.
But my question is, why would such a low dose of DXM do this? And I doubt it was the APAP because I've taken much higher doses than 3,900mg while abusing hydrocodone/oxycodone.

Last edited:
You probably had an allergic reaction or overdose with the Phenylephrine and the Acetaminophen definitely did not help.

This is highly irresponsible, what are you thinking?
I don't think one should take more than 2000mg of Acetaminophen at once, even though it's highly recommended no one should take more than 1000mg at once.
You took about 4000mg of APAP at once, do you want to destroy your liver? You've said you've taken more than this before? You're killing yourself slowly, if you continue using this amount of APAP daily you're going to eventually find yourself in the hospital with life-threatening liver problems, you could die.

I do not recommend taking Phenylephrine again because of what happened, I am not sure if it was a minor overdose or an allergic reaction because I have heard of people overdosing with only 50mg.
To go on, chill out with the Acetaminophen, it's very bad for you how you're taking it, liver damage is not irreversible. If you continue this habit you're on the slow road to death.
Finally, if you want to do DXM find some DXM only products, or DXM+guaifenesin products (this may make you throw up), or the safest way, which is just pure DXM powder which can be found online.

Yeah, the maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen is usually 3000-3500 mg depending on who you ask, I would be more concerned about liver damage from that.

You really overdosed on those two things for 120mg of dxm? That's one of the dumbest things I've heard someone do but I've done some pretty dumb things in my day. You probably overdosed on the Phenylephrine and the acetaminophen caused the burning stomach that you mentioned.

The phenylephrine is likely the cause. Most of the symptoms you listed would be the result of an overdose on sympathomimetic drug.

And taking that much acetaminophen at once and not thinking you're during liver damage - a lot of liver damage - is just plain foolishness. Especially if you make a habit of it.

Yeah, I realize it was a dumb idea, but I have taken much higher doses of APAP (around 5,000mg) before, and had no negative effects. And I have taken upwards of 70mg of phenylephrine before with no negative effects.
But yes, it was a very bad idea to take that much APAP and phenylephrine for only 120mg of DXM. I wasn't really thinking, I guess.

I hope you know that if you don't overdose on that amount of APAP it will give you liver damage in the long run. If you continue using these amounts of APAP then you may live a short life. I'd say take no more than 2000mg at once, but don't even do this regularly.

Also, a simple cold water extraction can be done to remove APAP from opiates such as Percocets, Vicodin, etc. This is the best way to go if you're still using Hydrocodone or Oxycodone. Your liver will thank you.

Dude just get some delsym or some off brand equate cough syrup. These contain only dxm in an extended release form, no other drugs.
The extended release gives a nasty afterglow, but at least you wont die.
With delsym there is also a VERY easy extraction method which gives you pure extended release dxm.
So read up and be safe man.

If I were to guess, I would say the combination of the DXM and those other active ingredients caused a bad interaction. I used to take CCCs and they had other active ingredients in them and they would just make me absolutely sick, and I usually take the DXM only products now on an upwards of 1500mg DXM and have a hell of a time.

^Agreed! delsym is one of the best ways to use DXM and yields a very large amount (888mg in one 5lf oz bottle). And it doesn't taste nasty at all, like the others - not saying it isn't gross, though. And the extraction, as mentioned above is soooo easy. All you need is basically water and a pop bottle. And, I don't know if it actually works. But soaking the powder in lemon juice, is said to help break down the polistirex. I've gotten quicker, shorter acting effects from this, but there's a good chance this could have been entirely placebo.

And the dxm gels are easy to get to, but they only have 15mg in them so you have to take quite a bit if you're looking to dose in the higher plateau zone.

These are the best two ways to take DXM, and you're likely never to run into a problem doing so. The two go quite well together too.

Thank you all for the polite and helpful replies.
I recently tried DXM at a low dose of 60mg (a product containing only DXM- Robitussin cough gels) and experienced dissociation with nausea and very bad motion sickness (I couldn't even bare to stand up) but without the stomach burning and gagging like the first experience, obviously. I've concluded that I most likely have an enzyme deficiency. And it doesn't help that I only weigh a measly 97 pounds, which is well underweight for my height and age.
So I will not do DXM again, for health concerns. I don't think it's my type of drug anyway. I'll just stick to CWEing opiates and popping the occasional benzo ?