• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Weird cures for problems that actually work?

Bleaney

Bluelighter
Over the last couple of weeks, due to my new temporary job which involves spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers, I've started developing really dry hands and sore splits and cracks on the corners of my finger tips out from the edges of my nails.

This is the first time this has happened, and as I often do when I have new problems to solve I turned to youtube for ideas.

One of the seemingly weirdest ones involved buying a pair of cotton gloves, waiter or snooker referee style, and then slathering ones hands in vaseline / petrolium jelly before going to bed and putting the gloves on top to keep the gunk in or on.

It actually works amazingly well, my hands feel so restored and healed in the mornings, and the soreness is reduced after every night of doing that.

Anyone else found any weird cures on the internet, or thought of any themselves?

Last edited:
I can only hope you sleep ass naked with just the gloves on. That shit would be tough!

I do in fact have one. A mixture of my own observation and internet/podcast mention. Protect your mouth and jaw during sleep. Specifically if you have any issues with Tmj and/or a stimulant habit, or not. When your body goes to sleep at night the mechanism which tells your jaw not to chatter or jump around shuts off. Leaving your jaw to feel like its '69 and fuck all. Ever wake up in the morning and feel a sharp stabbing pain in your ear? Not getting enough sleep or wake feeling taxed? You are most likely clenching, grinding, chomping, those teeth throughout the night. Breathing through your mouth as you sleep night after night promotes the above mentioned. It also weakens your nasal cavities as you get in the habit of breathing through your mouth. Passing air through your nose is proven to provide more oxygenation. The extremes of this I believe to be sleep apnea and require a cpap machine. Breathing through your mouth constantly as you sleep leads to dry mouth. Dry mouth leads to you waking up in the middle of the night to drink water. Well guess what, now you have to pee thus interrupting your rem cycles maybe multiple times a night. Get some med tape and put a piece over your mouth at night when you go to sleep. Worry not because if you fear you may not get enough oxygen your body will protect you and break free. It is only tape after all and your jaw and body are much stronger then tape in a time of need. I only mention that because it is the most common fear around the technique. By forcing air through your nasal instead of your mouth you will start to regain strength in your nasal cavities hence reducing the aforementioned side effects of being a mouth breathing sleeper. You will wake revived and rested.

Over the last couple of weeks, due to my new temporary job which involves spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers
IJQQP47H6JB5HAB6CINEXHJOVQ.jpg

If that was my new job, I'd probably have worse physical problems than sore and cracked finger tips to deal with.

@LargeAppetite

I've heard about the taping the mouth shut with Duct tape for better sleep, 'fad', I'm going to call it. I think I heard about it from Ali Abdal on his youtube channel, IIRC. He's normally this productivity and wealth obsessed cambridge graduate ex-Dr.

Even coming from such a usually sensible and "normal" type of person this idea seems bonkers to me. No way I'm going to try it. (Even if I swear blind that I must have swallowed several spiders in my sleep, every time I wake up coughing like there's something alive got stuck in the back of my throat. This doesn't happen often, but tends to be one of those things I remember every time it happens. I can't imagine why else I'd wake up like this..)

Over the last couple of weeks, due to my new temporary job which involves spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers, I've started developing really dry hands and sore splits and cracks on the corners of my finger tips out from the edges of my nails.

This is the first time this has happened, and as I often do when I have new problems to solve I turned to youtube for ideas.

One of the seemingly weirdest ones involved buying a pair of cotton gloves, waiter or snooker referee style, and then slathering ones hands in vaseline / petrolium jelly before going to bed and putting the gloves on top to keep the gunk in or on.

It actually works amazingly well, my hands feel so restored and healed in the mornings, and the soreness is reduced after every night of doing that.

Anyone else found any weird cures on the internet, or thought of any themselves?

Vaseline long term creates dermatitis, I'd be careful leaving it on overnight like you do! Permeates the skin easily too iirc.

My experience with hands is that every single moisturiser ive ever used, Ive become tolerant too and they just make things worse. Especially any with alcohol in, such a bad idea.

These days I either ignore it, or, use a bit of coconut oil.

Vaseline long term creates dermatitis, I'd be careful leaving it on overnight like you do! Permeates the skin easily too iirc.

My experience with hands is that every single moisturiser ive ever used, Ive become tolerant too and they just make things worse. Especially any with alcohol in, such a bad idea.

These days I either ignore it, or, use a bit of coconut oil.
I don't use that vaseilne method every night, as fortunately my finger tips only crack when the weather is literally freezing and when I'm exposed to it for many hours.

(I cant wear full protective gloves at work as the job requires me to have the agility of ungloved primary 2 finger tips per hand at least.

So I've only been trying the vaseline occasionally as and when most needed as a sort of intensive care treatment, but it does work.

Everyday dry skin seems to respond better by being treated from the inside out, and when I first tried adding a specific brand of cod liver oil to my diet, it worked amazingly well. The jury is still out on whether that will keep working long terrm...

Last edited:

This one doesn't seem 'weird' to me at all. It makes perfect sense why this works. The gloves create a slightly moist environment ensure the product is fully absorbed into the skin. You're basically covering & marinating. Xd

Vaseline long term creates dermatitis
Where'd you get that from? No it doesn't. Very occasionally someone will react allergically to petroleum jelly and get contact dermatitis. As a matter of fact dermatologists recommend use of vaseline to soothe eczema.

This one doesn't seem 'weird' to me at all. It makes perfect sense why this works. The gloves create a slightly moist environment ensure the product is fully absorbed into the skin. You're basically covering & marinating. Xd
Yeah, logically you are correct, I guess it just struck me as unusual the first time I heard about it.

I think specifying cotton gloves on the video was also a very good idea, as cotton has probably got just the right amount of breathability to it.

I gather that cotton is relatively poor fabric in terms of breathability, so people can get more sweaty etc than they would do in more breathable / wicking fabrics. And then obviously at the other end of the extreme to the highly wickable fabrics would be nylon or pvc gloves etc. I'd imagine that using anything like that overnight with vaseline would obviously leave your hands in a very bad wrinkled and sweaty state and clearly wouldnt be a good idea....

Sneezing covered already but also if you have to put your finger between your top lip and nose and press, won't sneeze

Apparently bullets work pretty well for annoying idiots who don't get the message.

So I hear.

For anything like this go down the herbal rather than pharma route is my advice. I have been balding slightly on top. And recently started rosemary oil mixed in with a little coconut oil massaged into the scalp. Honestly it does seem to work.

I’m a fisherman, a job that also involves brutalizing and mangling your poor hands. I’m not sure if it’s available where you live, but one thing that’s popular in the industry around here is “bag balm”. It was originally used by farmers to rub on sore cow titties but works great for sore or aggravated hands too. Maybe check it out if you feel like it.

3e3138df-40d0-4833-9d35-3cd75e2178ea_1.200a17b6cc9a806426fb5191cd6a1c61.jpeg