• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Weird adderal side affects

MSH18

Greenlighter
Hi I have been taking adderal for around 6-7months and it started as a once In awhile thing but slowly progressed over time.I never really noticed terrible side affects besides it being hard to sleep and shortness of breath.I have taken 90mg before and been fine no super terrible affects.Two nights ago I took 130 mg of IR and the high was great but a few hours after taking it I got a very strong sense of confusion and everything slowed down and I felt like I was in slow motion but my heart rate was very fast this continued for a 2 hours period before slowly going away.I figured this was a reason of high dose so the next day I took 90 and within a hour felt the same affect.I don't know what this means should I take a few days off or has anyone else had this "brain fog" like symptom

Side affects from adderal
-sudden confusion
-sense of slow motion
-fast heart beat
-shortness of breath
-brain fog (slow thinking)

I am not a doctor but it sounds like you are taking too high of a dose of the Adderall too often. Try stopping for a month, and then take a very low dose like 5-10mg if you ever take it again. Do you use any other drugs at all, or take them with the adderall?

No I haven't ever done any other drugs and I have never had issues with adderal besides for these two times

Just stop taking as much, and maybe, like suggested above, see if you can go a while without it. (then take the dose that is prescribed to you, not what you think you should take, 90mgs is still a lot)

Note: It looks like you actually are not prescribed it, in which case you may want to quit altogether, or keep it to an as needed basis. Amphetamines are not nearly as helpful for people who do not need them as they are for those who do.

If I took a few day break and majorly lowered my dose would that help?and also are this side affects sorta common ?

I cant speak on your personal side affects but I took doses like you are talking about for a while and it messed with my head too. I would pace back and forth with my mind going a million miles an hour, or I would get all freaked out and paranoid thinking my friends all hate me. Stuff like that. Take more than a few days break. Make it at least a couple weeks. Let your dopamine reset itself.

Ive never taken over 80 mg but ive taken over 200 mg over a 3 day span and i stayed awake for 3 days straight and i got every symptom you deacribed after my second dose, adderall has always made me confused after it wears off and this is very normal adderall ir for some people lasts 3-5 hours for me it last 2 and a half and then BOOM terribel comedown and i need to redose i stopped takig it and im glad i did i switched to dexedrine and it has less of these side effects but still bad ones, i think the confusion has to do with the l-amohetamine cuz i dont get this with dexedrine, nobody can tell you if a break will help but the lower the dose the less side effects youll get and breaks are always good ideas stay safe!

Yeah these are definitely side effects of taking too much and/or too often. As other bl'ers have mentioned, dial it back a little bit. The recreational value decreases significantly if taken too often. But that seems to be the case with almost every drug.

- Hopeless Soul

IF YOU EXPERIENCE THIS IN THE FUTURE I HIGHLY RECCOMEND CALLING 911.

This is NOT a diagnosis but you have described Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) almost to the letter. Your heart is beating so fast that there is not enough time for the blood in the ventricles (lower chambers) to exit the heart completely; a new heartbeat is started before the first one is complete. Confusion is caused by decreased blood supply to the brain. Shortness of Breath is caused by 1) decreased bloodflow from the heart to the lungs 2)backflow/resistance of blood flow from the lungs back to the heart. #1 happens first; #2 happens if you can't breath well enough to pack oxygen into what little blood is making it to the capillaries of the lungs and results in pulmonary hypertension, followed by pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs).

Obviously none of this is good and it could potentially be fatal.

If I sound all doom-and-gloom it's because the same thing happened to me during a bender on Vyvanse. I managed to pull myself together and perform a carotid sinus massage, but I was playing a scary game of Russian roulette.

OP: I cannot urge you strongly enough to decrease your dosage of amphetamines. When people take their prescribed dose of amphetamines on a regular basis, they eventually build up to a consistent level/amount of drug in their system at any given time. The half life of racemic amphetamine salts can be upwards of a full day (24hr)... That is why you see prescriptions of 5mg and 10mg; on day two of taking the medication there is still a significant amount circulating in the blood stream.

Be safe OP, let us know how you are!

Last edited:
Hi I have been taking adderal for around 6-7months and it started as a once In awhile thing but slowly progressed over time.I never really noticed terrible side affects besides it being hard to sleep and shortness of breath.I have taken 90mg before and been fine no super terrible affects.Two nights ago I took 130 mg of IR and the high was great but a few hours after taking it I got a very strong sense of confusion and everything slowed down and I felt like I was in slow motion but my heart rate was very fast this continued for a 2 hours period before slowly going away.I figured this was a reason of high dose so the next day I took 90 and within a hour felt the same affect.I don't know what this means should I take a few days off or has anyone else had this "brain fog" like symptom

Side affects from adderal
-sudden confusion
-sense of slow motion
-fast heart beat
-shortness of breath
-brain fog (slow thinking)

If you add too much dopaminergic pressure onto your frontal lobes without stroking your penis the brain gets confused as to what is actually happening, as it is expecting sex to occur. This can go very badly to leave it in standby like this.

So will (SVT) go away with time off the drug or will going back on the drug cause the side affects to come back?

I can't say for sure because this isn't an in-person assessment, but I have a sneaking suspicion that taking 8-10x the therapeutic dosage is the cause.

Your tolerance to the dopamine/serotonin euphoria produced by AMP develops rapidly but the tolerance to the Epinephrine/Norepinephrine stimulation of heart muscle cells takes a considerable number of weeks. Euphoria is just the dumping of neurotransmitters into the synaptic clefts, so when your neurons are out they have to synthesize more, hence next-day tolerance. The cardiac myocytes however are constantly under stimulation from basal levels of epinephrine/norepinephrine produced in the adrenal medulla at rest, so to become 'tolerant' to the cardiovascular side effects of AMP requires the cells to modify the number of receptors available for binding with AMP which takes weeks/months/years.

Endlessly chasing the good feelings will just cause cardiovascular and neurotoxicity. Gotta take drug holidays

I can't say for sure because this isn't an in-person assessment, but I have a sneaking suspicion that taking 8-10x the therapeutic dosage is the cause.

Your tolerance to the dopamine/serotonin euphoria produced by AMP develops rapidly but the tolerance to the Epinephrine/Norepinephrine stimulation of heart muscle cells takes a considerable number of weeks. Euphoria is just the dumping of neurotransmitters into the synaptic clefts, so when your neurons are out they have to synthesize more, hence next-day tolerance. The cardiac myocytes however are constantly under stimulation from basal levels of epinephrine/norepinephrine produced in the adrenal medulla at rest, so to become 'tolerant' to the cardiovascular side effects of AMP requires the cells to modify the number of receptors available for binding with AMP which takes weeks/months/years.

Endlessly chasing the good feelings will just cause cardiovascular and neurotoxicity. Gotta take drug holidays

Watch your figures, 130mg is not 8-10x the therapeutic dose of Adderall, doctors regularly prescribe 60mg/day. He took twice the maximum allowed dose.

And yes, adrenaline is a PROBLEM. It's why it's good to block in alpha 2 with intuniv to take care of that poison pestering your cardio.