• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed tolerance question

George1012

Bluelighter
I'm new here this is my very first post so please be patient. First of all thanks for reading. I just had a few questions about weed tolerance. Last night I smoked for the first time in 4 months and it wasn't like I remember.:\ I used to get very baked when I smoked. Last night I just felt very sedated and kind of out of it but it wasn't that trippy mind blowing high I remember. I'm wondering if abstaining from weed can actually build a tolerance and ruin weed. A lot of people say it reverses your tolerance. I quit months back for other reasons, not to lower my tolerance. My tolerance was already very low when I quit, 2-3 fat rips of anything would get me pretty lit. I was pretty disappointed but now I'm over it because again I wasn't abstaining to lower my tolerance. I wanted to see what it was like so I decided to try it. Basically Has anyone ever experienced this? Is it possible to become exempt to the high? I never was much of a smoker, just a 2-3 a week type of person.

What's weird is I had a very low tolerance right before I quit, even after months of smoking but coming back it was different. Could it also be the strain? I smoked one very small bowl, 3-4 hits. I became a somewhat fit runner when I abstained. When I first started running I was badly out of shape and could barely do a 7 minute mile but I worked up to being able to run 4-5 miles nonstop in 7 minutes each. I'm wondering if being more fit then before has had an impact. It has to have. I'm just interested in why weed suddenly doesn't feel the same. I've abstained before for long periods of time and it felt like a smack in the face when returning, not really this time. Again I have never been much of a smoker to begin with anyway. Thank you again for reading and answering and have a great day! :)

I used to get VERY high from weed, as a totally drug naïve teenager like 13 years old, the first time I tried it! Like scary high, like I felt I left this world for another dimension and everything around me wasn't really happening, very trippy high! As time went on, I of course loved the feeling, so I began regularly smoking weed... for years, I smoked it daily! Then fast forward, something like 8-10 years later, I found opiates... and began smoking weed less and less.. until finally, just stopping it all together, and spending every penny on opiates! Only occasionally smoking if someone offered me a smokeout.. and after the first time, abstaining from weed for months, after being an everyday smoker for over 8 years, I got extremely baked.. like it was my first time again..

Fast forward to current time, and its kind of the same shit.. I am now on subutex, which I use, to abstain from opiates and curb my cravings.. and rarely do anything but take my subutex and other medications, klonopin and Adderall.. BUT.. when I do smoke, it get fucking lit af! like so fucking lit... partly because weed, enhances the subutex and klonopin, and makes me get totally plastered when I smoke just a little bit.. I only smoke, like once a month now on average, and yes.. abstaining from smoking weed everyday, with or without other drugs in your system, fucks you up... just like when you started almost, maybe not THAT intense feeling, but still much more "high" feeling after going months without it, or even a week or 2.. the longer you wait between smoking some weed, the better it will feel!

Just like most other drugs, THC the main active cannabinoid in weed, if used daily gives you a tolerance.. and the high progressively becomes less and less intense... tolerance to any drug, sucks ass!

Could it be an issue of which strains you're getting / used to get? I find that over time, my own tolerance to heavy indicas has increased, but I still get blown away by heady sativas.

Hmm I agree with simco. Think it is very dependent on what strain you've just smoked. Sativas will shoot me into oblivion while indicas just make me happy, sedated, and overall very relaxed.

I'd rather be fit then have a low tolerance to bud. Might not smoke anymore if this is how bud is going to feel from now on though. I miss the extremely powerful mind blowing highs that would get me paranoid and energetic. Then again maybe my body processes it differently.

Is your new weed from the same source?
I know exactly the feelings you are talking about, but I got them when I briefly switched to indica.

Is your new weed from the same source?
I know exactly the feelings you are talking about, but I got them when I briefly switched to indica.
No, completely different guy. My brother says its bomb and he's been smoking for years and I just started 2 nights ago and it isn't that great. I've never been an Indica guy though. Here's one interesting thing I noticed. The weed itself doesn't smell that potent. I only needed to lock it in one bag. The weed before I had to put into multiple bottles or my room would absolutely smell like a skunk. The buds themselves are dark, dense and very sticky.

Yah, sounds like your brother smokes indica. That stuff really doesn't do it for me either. It just feels deadening. See if you can find a hybrid or sativa and tell us if there is a difference!

I agree with what the others have said that it's probably because what you have now is an indica and the amazing high that you're remembering was probably from a sativa. Indicas definitely give me the more sedated, sleepy high, compared to sativas which give me more euphoria and an energy boost. On top of that, if it's a low grade indica then that's going to be even further off of what you were remembering/expecting. So quality could be the problem, but it's likely just indica instead of sativa.

Go get a quality sativa and see if that brings back the good feelings ;)

I agree with what the others have said that it's probably because what you have now is an indica and the amazing high that you're remembering was probably from a sativa. Indicas definitely give me the more sedated, sleepy high, compared to sativas which give me more euphoria and an energy boost. On top of that, if it's a low grade indica then that's going to be even further off of what you were remembering/expecting. So quality could be the problem, but it's likely just indica instead of sativa.

Go get a quality sativa and see if that brings back the good feelings ;)
Lol still getting used to this forum. I got a more in between sativa and indica hybrid and it does work better. Its hard to find good pure sativa this time of year though in my area. I'll be working on finding something that actually does the job otherwise I might just quit lol. Last year though after I took a 4 month break I got way more ripped the first few times and I was 15 pounds heavier. I've had to smoke a lot more to feel the same feelings but oh well maybe the quality is just not good.

Sativa will definitely be the way to go. And let's say you try that and it still isn't doing it for you. Try some hash oil, you know? BHO? PHO? Crumb, wax, shatter... whatever it may be. I promise you if it's good oil of high THC concentrate you will feel it no matter what the strain is.

Edit: make sure to get your hash oil from a dispensary, how it's made is an important and delicate process. Since this IS a harm reduction forum I figured I'd drop some knowledge.

Last edited:
I tried really grinding the nugs down into powder and packing it in neatly instead of crushing them a little and stuffing it into the pipe. I got way better quality smoke and that made all the difference. I got at least 20 miles higher this time, off much less.=D

I've decided to quit weed. I realize now if quitting for months doesn't improve the high then nothing probably will. I gave it six good tries and got one good high. Pretty disappointing for having taken such a long time off. I just don't like those foggy headed tired highs. I thought it'd be a cleaner better experience. Maybe in a few days or a week I'll try again if I'm in the mood but most likely not at this point. Usually my guy tells me its hybrid or sativa but it doesn't make me feel the way sativa should make me feel. Its always that extremely lazy tired foggy nonsense feeling thats almost kind of depressing. I miss the paranoia inducing jaw dropping highs.