• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed causing anxiety

mastersofine

Bluelighter
I have been smoking for over 12 years. I recently took a little break and now when I smoke it makes me anxious as shit. I know this is a fairly common problem, but what have people who this has happened to do about it, besides stop smoking of course ;)

Smoke far less and you might find a pleasant balance, I use a pipe. Seek indica dominant strains. And not advisable unless you're already doing it; use other drugs to counter the anxiety.

It sounds like you can't handle THC anymore, you've had enough for a lifetime.

This is only a problem if you are unwilling to accept this fate, and make attempts to circumvent the predicament which is essentially impossible.

Weed has started to cause you anxiety issues. Therefore, I would stop putting yourself through anxious highs because it could lead to an anxiety disorder down the road and anxious highs are in no way constructive.

The thought of weed won't even cross your mind after a while. I quit 9 months ago - it took me about 6 months to get over the fact that I was never going to be able to smoke it again. Used to fiend the stuff; you couldn't pay me to smoke it now because the smallest puff will send me into a full blown, heart pounding panic attack of sheer terror and agony.

We do not know what else is happening in OP's life, this could be an external issue that is brought to the fore-front when he smokes weed.

perhaps you have gone back to old smoking habits, forgetting your tolerance and are smoking more than you can handle, or maybe rave is right.

for what its worth, i still get anxiety if i havent smoked for a long time, like a few weeks. i have found that smoking sativas at a slow pace helps me with feeling paranoia. i think a slow and gradual come-on reduces the panic attack.

Thanks guys. I have smoked a lot of weed but I'm not sure enough for a lifetime. I have been taking klonopin before smoking and that definitely gets rid of anxiety, but I wish I didnt have to do that every time I wanna smoke. Also smoking indicas does make a huge difference, but I dont live in a legal state so I take what i can get.

This is only a problem if you are unwilling to accept this fate, and make attempts to circumvent the predicament which is essentially impossible.

Weed has started to cause you anxiety issues. Therefore, I would stop putting yourself through anxious highs because it could lead to an anxiety disorder down the road and anxious highs are in no way constructive.

The thought of weed won't even cross your mind after a while. I quit 9 months ago - it took me about 6 months to get over the fact that I was never going to be able to smoke it again. Used to fiend the stuff; you couldn't pay me to smoke it now because the smallest puff will send me into a full blown, heart pounding panic attack of sheer terror and agony.

Rave! How ya been, bro?

I take slight issue with that first sentence of yours. I disagree in the fullest (respectfully, though :)). For some people, anxiety is episodic/periodic. If this stress is caused by his environment, it's very likely a temporary issue where weed is acting as a catalyst for his already anxious thoughts.

If weed is actually the sole cause of his anxiety, though, you might be right, Rave.

the anxiety megathread is the best place to check for how others have dealt with this issue

Yeah smoking pot send me into a horrifying trip or full blown panic attack I simply can not handle it any more I quit smoking about 3 years ago after smoking for 17 years it just happened all of a sudden and the most terrible mind games started happening almost like bad acid trip I still don't know what went wrong

I have been smoking for over 12 years. I recently took a little break and now when I smoke it makes me anxious as shit. I know this is a fairly common problem, but what have people who this has happened to do about it, besides stop smoking of course ;)

I thought the exact same thing like: ''weed isn't for me anymore, I just have to forget it and continue my life without''. I had extreme fear and panic attacks about death. I couldn't enjoy life, I realized I had nothing interesting in my life. I made major changes and now I am feeling better. Weed was the precursor, in a way it caused some problems in my life (no motivation, anxiety) but it also enlightened me on other aspects (life goal, philosophy, creativity, etc.). It showed me the solution to all of these problems - one of the solution being to quit smoking.

I was smoking to have fun as I couldn't find any enjoyment in my sober life (few friends, have to study a lot) but I wasn't happy anymore high yet I continued smoking.

I stopped smoking regularly (1 time per week, max I did was 2-3 times per week).
I started doing outdoor activities and eventually combined it with weed. I was able to find back the nice experiences on weed I had previously because I was smoking far less and I was doing NEW things on it.
Habit on weed kills the high. The problems in your life will follow you on your high too.
I loved so much weed on high school because I had no responsibility. Life was easy, I didn't need to study much to have good grades & I had no money concern. I didn't adapt my weed use to these changes (responsible use).
Now I have no weed in my house. My girlfriend keeps it so we can smoke time to time. We both enjoy going hiking high. I don't have the temptation to smoke and screw all the things I have to do anymore.

It is an hard choice to make to stop smoking. You don't need it but you live great experiences on it. It made me enjoy things I never thought I would like (outdoor activities), even studying. It improved my understanding of the world, I imagined crazy things on it that really blew my mind. It opened me so much on so many things that it was a greater good to me even though I lived hell on it.

If you use it with extreme caution, I think it can improve your life. If you slip to the non-responsible use, it will shatter you.

My 2cents :)

I have been dealing with panic attacks since I smoked weed for the first time I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percet cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for nearly 10 years.

Take a look at anxiousreview . com

It is an excellent read and was very helpful to me :)

Hope I helped somebody! by the way I haven't enjoyed smoking since :(

for what its worth, i still get anxiety if i havent smoked for a long time, like a few weeks. i have found that smoking sativas at a slow pace helps me with feeling paranoia. i think a slow and gradual come-on reduces the panic attack.

This is exactly what is working best for me now. Taking super small hits every ten - twenty minutes at the beginning of a session, which for myself is usually about 2 - 3 hours/night as I relax and do something enjoyable or watch TV. After about an hour I can really dig in. I also notice that if I smoke during the day, which I rarely do, will prevent the panic if I smoke say, six - nine ours later.

I've had the anxiety issue, on - off, for thirty years of near daily smoking. It definitely gets worse after you've taken a break and come back to something like the super strong medical mj I get, indica or sativia. For me it's definitely set and setting as well as some randomness and a definite correlation with how I feel that day, if I'm already a bit on edge it will send me over briefly but uncomfortably so. If things are really chill and in order it is much less likely.

More days than not I do not get the anxiety, or if I do I know it will subside quickly (~20 min max) and in ~25 minutes I'll be nodding out. I generally only smoke in the evenings. Except if I am at home and pain is an issue, then for sure I'll smoke in the daytime. My tendency towards anxiety is higher earlier in the day. I suppose that makes some sense w.r.t. physical & emotional states of my alertness or relaxation. Food has no effect whatsoever on my reaction.

I use more and more lately. Am married and when I do use, it causes me some paranoia regarding sexuality and I find that I seek out even enjoy other relationships (cheating) when I'm like this. I feel this paranoia to show my sexualness.