• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Water in my ear. How to get it out?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronson

Bluelighter
While swimming to cool off in the heat wave today I managed to get some water in my ear, which is rare for me. I've tried everything and can't seem to get it out!

Anyone have any tricks for such a problem?

Have you tryed shaking your head? I usually just give it time and it eventually comes dripping out

Finally got it by laying my head to the side and jumping around. What a relief, ha. It's a sensation I truly hate.

send some rubbing alcohol or high proof grain alcohol in after it if you ever have the problem again— the alcohol displaces the water, and then evaporates off at a lower temperature.

themoreyouknow.jpg

send some rubbing alcohol or high proof grain alcohol in after it if you ever have the problem again— the alcohol displaces the water, and then evaporates off at a lower temperature.

themoreyouknow.jpg

I was going to say this... put room-temperature water in a cup, dump in a small amount of rubbing alcohol, then dump it into your ear while your head is turned sideways. Let it sit in there for a couple seconds, then tilt your head back up to a normal angle (do it over a sink so the water can splash into the sink, not of the floor) and you should feel your ears returning to normal. Works 99% of the time.

Note also that you may have earwax buildup; I always know when it's getting bad when it takes a long time for water to drain out of my ears, even if I'm lying down. Fortunately, there are plenty of OTC ear drops that can take care of it given a few consecutive days of application.

^ I've always had bad sinus problems so perhaps that could have something to do with the water being such a pain to get out?

^
I have bad sinus problems, myself, but I don't think that's the cause. Anything ear-related on that tack would probably be something like blocked Eustachian tubes, which would manifest as an inability to pop your ears, or (worse) as an ear infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.