View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Watched Fear and loathing in LV last night til i fell asleep again

BenzosBudOrBooty

Bluelighter
Man that movie is fricking awesome. I've read the book a couple times and it never gets old when he's like "Then we took some mescaline and went for a swim" and you see him on a rock with an american flag. Man they are such fools though, that movie is so unrealistic I believe? Or did they really go on drug benders like that for that long???? I know it's gonzo journalism so it's suppose to be real? It really is genius though.

Except when everyone starts turning into dinosaurs and crocodiles....that shit was pretty fake, but some of the tripping images were pretty realistic and makes me want to trip again.

I love that scene though...when he walks into the bar with the half broken cigarette and goes to light it on someone elses match and he says "hey beat it" then a girl says "I like what you did there" and he just is completely in fear of her. Funny stuff.

I got to about the point of the race in the sandstorm....i understand that movie way better now than I did when I was younger. Hope to continue it tonight because I never realized how genius it was until I watched it last night. Awesome.

Discuss movies about hallucinogens....any other real good ones? And books too? I've read a couple.

As far as psychedelic books go, I feel that you can't beat The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test.

As far as psychedelic books go, I feel that you can't beat The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test.

I read that it was good. But my friend told me that some of the people on the bus suffered from grave mental disorders that they really didn't cover in the book as far as I remember. He said it was kind of sad. I think I'm gonna read that one again. Ken Kesey, what a guy!?

I watched it on 165u lsd Sat night. It was awesome to see again Tripping .It's been a while. I may watch it again next weekend. I missed half smoking weed and staring at patterns on the ceiling lol

I could never get beyond the first page of Fear and loathing - he betrays how fucking clueless about psychedelics by saying of all things it was "mescaline" that made him see bats. Anyone with the foggiest idea of mescaline knows it's the gentlest psychedelic there is and by far the least likely to make you see "bats" (not that there is any psychedelic that makes you see fucking bats anyway)

He just picked mescaline because it was rarer than acid so people would think he was "cool" for getting it. When I realised that I put the book down and never fucking bothered with it again.

Is that enough reason to abandon the whole book? It's pretty funny (it's not meant as a reference work) - i'd have thought his more cynical view of hippies might appeal to you.

I always felt with Kool aid acid test that while i'd have wanted to be 'on the bus' at first i'd have probably told them to fuck off the first (ok, second) time they spiked some innocent underage girl with mindbending drugs without telling them what was going on - they were some pretty irresponsible ways to give people lsd ('it was a different time man'). It would give me a terrible trip thinking about how horrible it might have been for the young 'victims'. It was all a bit macho really, and macho doesn't mix well with lsd in my mind.

'The Brotherhood of Eternal Love' was a good read - better than kool aid for me; or 'Acid Dreams' for a more detailed look at the history of lsd.

Is that enough reason to abandon the whole book? It's pretty funny (it's not meant as a reference work) - i'd have thought his more cynical view of hippies might appeal to you.

I always felt with Kool aid acid test that while i'd have wanted to be 'on the bus' at first i'd have probably told them to fuck off the first (ok, second) time they spiked some innocent underage girl with mindbending drugs without telling them what was going on - they were some pretty irresponsible ways to give people lsd ('it was a different time man'). It would give me a terrible trip thinking about how horrible it might have been for the young 'victims'. It was all a bit macho really, and macho doesn't mix well with lsd in my mind.

'The Brotherhood of Eternal Love' was a good read - better than kool aid for me; or 'Acid Dreams' for a more detailed look at the history of lsd.
Anyone read The Joyous Cosmology by Alan Watts? He's my favorite author and I didn't realize he has a book on psychedelic drugs. After all he never even tried anything past weed and alcohol until his 50's I believe.

I'm about to start The way of the shaman by Michael Harner, and by skimming through the first chapter I already saw the word 'ayahausca' a couple times. So looking forward to this. <3 Non-fiction/spirituality books. I'm not much for fiction books usually. Fear and loathing about draws the line between as fictitious as I could read. That bbrotherhood of eternal love looks good when I look into it.

"All of this white stuff on my sleeve..." - man I love that scene. It's a great movie.

I think it's likely that Thompson did try mescaline. It was far more prevalent then than it is now.

Quote:

In the book The Great Shark Hunt, Thompson refers to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as "a failed experiment in the gonzo journalism" he practiced, which was based on William Faulkner's idea that "the best fiction is far more true than any kind of journalism — and the best journalists have always known this".1 Thompson's style blended the techniques of fictional story-telling and journalism.

He called it a failed experiment because he originally intended to record every detail of the Las Vegas trip as it happened, and then publish the raw, unedited notes; however, he revised it during the spring and summer of 1971. For example, the novel describes Duke attending the motorcycle race and the narcotics convention in a few days' time; the actual events occurred a month apart.16 Later, he wrote, "I found myself imposing an essentially fictional framework on what began as a piece of straight/crazy journalism".1 Nevertheless, critics call Fear and Loathing Thompson's crowning achievement in gonzo journalism. For example, journalist and author Mikal Gilmore said the novel "feels free wheeling when you read it [but] it doesn't feel accidental. The writing is right there, on the page — startling, unprecedented and brilliantly crafted".17

1. Thompson, Hunter S. Jacket copy for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream.

16. Taylor, Andrew F. 1997. In Search of Thompson's Vegas. Las Vegas Sun. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sun/dossier/misc/loathing/mescaline.html

17. Gilmore, Mikal. Mar 24, 2005. The Last Outlaw. Rolling Stone, 970, 44-47.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas

CrankyCritic: What were your thoughts on the whole drug culture of that time?
Terry Gilliam: I didn't like drugs. I was terrified of them. I've never taken acid. I've never taken the vast majority of drugs that are used by our heroes in this film.

Fischer, Paul. Cranky Critic® StarTalk: Terry Gilliam. http://www.crankycritic.com/qa/terrygilliam.html

Last edited:

Yeah it only put me off Fear and loathing I have read other Hunter stuff.

Acid dreams is good but I thought it concentrated on the CIA a bit too much, "storming heaven" is good for an overall history of LSD.

Anyone read The Joyous Cosmology by Alan Watts? He's my favorite author and I didn't realize he has a book on psychedelic drugs. After all he never even tried anything past weed and alcohol until his 50's I believe.

Yeah I liked Joyous although finding out about the reality of Alans life tempers the enjoyment a little. He ended up a despairing alcoholic getting through a couple of bottles of whisky a day (I always think "If only you hung up the phone on alcohol instead of LSD you'd still be alive today..).

His son once asked him "Don't you want to live dad?" and Watts said "Yes son but it's not worth the effort".