Mental Health Was I Institutionalized?

Curiouskid

Greenlighter
I spent the majority of my childhood in juvenile detention or treatment. Spent some time in adult jail before they let me go. I wanted so badly to be out. Now, I'm an adult and I see myself as no value to society. I'm going to college, working, and following laws, but I always feel like I'm going to be locked back up again. I can't see any other future for myself, no matter how much I do or how many goals I set. I want to die, but can't bring myself to do it. I don't like being locked up at all, but it seems like all I'm meant to live for, which sounds absurd, I know. Does anyone know if these feelings go away? I've been out for quite some time and nothing seems to change. I feel like I'm going to end up doing something stupid so that I'm not stuck questioning if I'll ever have any meaning in this world. I'm hoping something will change, because there has to be more to life than this.

To me it sounds like you are dealing with the aftermath of severe trauma. Yes, you certainly were institutionalized. I won't pry about the reasons, but I can suggest some reading for you, and encourage trauma-focused therapy with a highly-rated psychotherapist. I'm currently using the app Talkspace for my trauma-focused therapy and it works great for me personally, so look into it if in-person therapy isn't your thing.

Here are some books that could help you come to grips with what has happened to you:
Mad Pride: a celebration of mad culture. https://www.amazon.com/dp/095257442X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_-yPCyb5HXHV3J
The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401309445/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_RBPCybC9C82ED
Recovery From Severe Mental Illnesses: Research Evidence and Implications for Practice. https://cpr.bu.edu/store/books/recovery-from-severe-mental-illnesses (Volumes 1 & 2 are both on sale and volume 2 specifically is about interventions with strong evidence backing their efficacy in recovery rates. Many are non-psychiatric and community-based rather than institution-based)

Foucault is essential reading for understanding institutionalization at its core, the "othering" of those deemed mad by society's dominant forces, and the essence of the Mad Pride movement (some of which I find valuable, while other aspects I toss aside as anti-science garbage. But as a historical and social movement it is significant and extremely empowering for those of us who have suffered from psychiatric abuse). History of Madness/Madness and Civilization is probably most directly related, but Observe and Punish is probably a more fleshed-out treatment of the same idea, and potentially more relevant to you. A google search should provide plenty of PDFs.

As far as value to society, your line of thinking is exactly what the dominant group would have you think. That if you're not fully participating in and contributing to capitalism then in society's view you have no value. If you're deemed "deviant", you might as well be invisible. Personally, that doesn't make me that unhappy anymore. It makes me want to fight back and live on my own terms. Why should we have to conform? Why do we have to be valuable to a sick society in order to be valuable to ourselves? We didn't ask for any of this. We didn't ask to be born into this bullshit.

Some other reading you may find comforting is The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus. Again, PDFs abound. You may find that it settles the question of suicide once and for all. It did for me. It changed the entire definition of "meaning of life" for me when I had my first psychotic break and subsequent suicide attempts. I reread it recently and it resonates still. But I have a really soft spot for Camus...

i would really suggest looking into trauma recovery. I am quite sure that you would be diagnosed with complex post-traumatic stress disorder upon evaluation. No one goes through that amount of institutionalization without scars. Especially as a juvenile.

Let me know if you have questions. You have really suffered. It does get better, I promise, but it will take some effort on your part. But it is definitely possible to make the bad days a bit better a fewer and farther apart. Then good days become more frequent.

Hang in there.

Some other reading you may find comforting is The Myth of Sisyphus by Camus. Again, PDFs abound. You may find that it settles the question of suicide once and for all. It did for me. It changed the entire definition of "meaning of life" for me when I had my first psychotic break and subsequent suicide attempts. I reread it recently and it resonates still. But I have a really soft spot for Camus...

Great response by Toothpaste. I don't have a lot to add except to second giving this a read. It's a short read and really did help me as well when I was exposed to Camus during a dark period of my life.

You do have value as a human being. No government can take that value away.

Fuckin' A right Lemmon lol.

It's really sad how fucked up the judicial and correctional system is. For such an advanced society, we have a shitload of archaic tendencies.
Curiouskid, I've seen this first hand. During my psych schooling I volunteered to be in a really unique course called "mentoring adolescents". The program was built around a female juvenile detention center near my college. We were each assigned a teenage girl or two to visit at least twice a week to talk to, help with their problems, homework, future plans etc...
Anyway spending those months in and out of that jail made me see how horrible the system was. These poor girls were spending their formative years in a prison instead of getting being helped. The vast majority had been physically or sexually abused, using drugs from an early age, barely had parents, and had some form of mental illness. There were even pregnant 15 year olds there!

I feel for you dude. It's not your fault for what the system has done to you. But you do have the ability to not become a statistic. These feelings will go away, but not on their own. I would say get some treatment because it sounds like you're struggling with some pretty heavy depression. Maybe see if there are support groups or forums for people who have been through the system and are having trouble adjusting to "normal" life.
You sound like you're doing well in spite of all the shit you're dealing with. Have you ever thought about helping kids who are going through the system now? Something like that could be a great way to help and find some purpose in life.