• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Warning of long-use withdrawal from benzodiazepines and the older sedatives (!!)

lylastar

Greenlighter
warning for long-use and chronic users of all benzodiazepines plus the entire family of (now very rare) older types of sedative/hypnotic drugs listed below (this type withdrawal may be fatal !)

Applies to people who daily use any of the many benzodiazzepines (both for U.S. and Canada/UK/Europe) e.g. Valium (diazepam), Librium (chlordiazepoxide), Xanax (alprazolam), Rohypnol (flunitrazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), Klonopin/Rivotril, (clonazepam), Urbanol (clobazam), Restoril (temazepam), Halcion (triazolam), Mogadon (nitrazepam), Prosom (estazolam). Dalmane (flurazepam), Dormonoct (loprazolam), Doral (quazepam), Versed (midazolam), Centrax (prazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate dipotassium), Lexotan (bromazepam), plus the very similar thienotriazolodiazepines (Ezitest-1, Etisty) etizolam, the other research-class benzos clonazolam, brotizolam, clotiazepam, deschloroetizolam, metizolam, Serax (oxazepam). plus all the now very hard to get older sedative/hypnotics (list is not complete): all barbiturates (Seconal (secobarbital), Nembutal (pentobarbital), Tuinal (secobarbital and amobarbital), Amytal (amobarbital), phenobarbital, Fiorinal (aspirin, caffeine, butalbital), Fioricet (acetominophen, caffeine, butalbital), butalbital, Butisol (butabaarbital), Pentothal (thiopental), Brevital (methohexital), Diprivan (propofol), GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, or gamma-hydroxybutyrate, or 4-hydroxybutanoic acid, or γ-Hydroxybutyric acid, or γ-Hydroxybutyrate) and others both known by generic and brand name,-and- the myriad of non-barbiturate older sedative/hypnotic agents: Quaalude (methaqualone), Doriden (glutethimide), Noctec (chloral hydrate), Miltown (meprobamate), Soma (carisoprodol), Placidyl (ethchlorvynol), and several others I currently cannot recall {See: 'List of benzodiazepines wiki', and, 'List ol sedative-hypnotic drugs (sleeping pills) eMed' [you may disregard zopiclone, eszopiclone, zolpidem, & zalepion in regard to fatal withdrawal risk and overdose fatality risk unless mixed with other sedatives and/or ethanol (alcohol)]}. AT THIS TIME IN THE U.S. ALL BENZODIAZEPINES ARE c-iv CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES, BARBITURATES RANGE FROM BEING C-II, C-III, and C-IV and Rx only SUBSTANCES (Fioricet®), GHB AND QUAALUDE BEING C-I, AND THE MISC. NON-BARBITURATE/NONBENZODIAZEPINE AGENTS BEING PLACED IN C-III AND C-IV UNDER THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT. CLASSICAL ONCE VERY HIGHLY EMPLOYED SHORT-ACTING BARBITURATES, MAINLY Nembutal® sodium (pentobarbital sodium) injection C-II, remains available in hospital settings under very high security, while the anesthetic induction agent Pentothal® (thiopental sodium), once almost universally used to commence anesthesia at the start of surgery (now only manufactured, and also blocked from use, as the first of 3 drugs employed in states executing persons via lethal injection), and now completely replaced by generic propofol 1% emulsion given I.V. to commence unconsciousness at the start of surgical procedures. Propofol, without logical reason, is Rx only and is not a controlled substance at all.

The risk of long-term use of the new agent suvorexant is unknown at this time.

I would like to strongly emphasize that the use of Ambien® (zolpidem tartrate), while an effective hypnotic, is highly associated with persons waking up, performing bizarre and possibly very dangerous acts, such as cooking, climbing, traveling on foot, or driving, all akin to forms of "sleep walking", and remaining utterly unremembered upon waking up. This drug is *very* strongly associated with the combination of sleep-walking/anterograde amnesia in some people at some zolpidem-induced sleep sessions. [This actually happened to myself personally the very first time I took this drug. My neighbors reported that I attempted, clumsily, to climb out of the kitchen second story window. I did not succeed (and fall 15 feet) and they called 911, where I awoke 4 hours later with no memory of what I tried to do earlier that night].

It must be mentioned that, aside from most cases of benzodiazepine overdose alone, that an overdose of many of the older family of sedative/hypnotics can be a very successful method of committing suidide or accidental death from overdose, especially when used in risky combination and/or with significant amounts of ethanol (alcohol).

Withdrawal from sedative/hypnotic drugs is the one type of withdrawal that can kill you. When you are withdrawing from usual dosing twice or more times per day, IF YOU CANNOT GET ACCESS TO SEVERAL HUNDRED DOSES SO THAT YOU CAN TAPER YOURSELF DOWN, THEN YOU SHOULD CALL 911 (in the U.S.) AND LET THE AUTHORITIES TAKE YOU TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. For your own security, since the police usually arrive before or with the paramedics, make sure that you meet them outside your locked house or apartment. Otherwise the police will often conduct a walk-through search, and if they find any paraphrenalia they can arrest you on the spot. If they ask you to enter your domicile, tell them "No, I bel8ieve in keeping my privacy." MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM NOTHING ELSE! iF YOU POSSESS PETS, MAKE SURE THAT SOMEONE COMPLETELY RELIABLE WILL COME IN AND FEED THEM AND GIVE THEM FRESH WATER EVERY DAY. (You might be hospitalized for any time up to 2-3 weeks in some cases.) Surrender to the paramedics with no incriminating things on your person, and bring no drugs, as the hospital will confiscate them and only returm them upon discharge. If you have a debit or credit card, bring that to pay the hospital to allow you to watch TV during your stay. This will save your life. The usual way one dies from sedative withdrawals is to, without any warning, go into sequential seizures called status epilepticus [one grand mal epileptic seizure after another. During this, you cannot take in a breath of oxygen. After a short time your body will enter anaerobic metabolism due to anoxia. Your heart will enter ventricular fibrillation, a type of cardiac arrest, depriving your CNS of oxygen. After 5-6 minutes of this you will become brain dead, and be pronounced dead. SEDATIVE WITHDRAWALS ARE NOT TO BE FOOLED WITH! IF YOU TAKE THIS TYPE OF DRUG, MAKE SURE THAT YOU SAVE SEVERAL 100s OF TABLETS, SO THAT IF YOU RUN OUT OF MONEY OR ACCESS, YOU CAN TAPER YOURSELF DOWN VIA A WRITTEN DOSAGE SCHEDULE THAT YOU MUST FORCE YOURSELF TO HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO FOLLOW. If you still have access to medications, there are many ancillary drugs that will help you sleep and comfort you as you withdraw. But if the supply runs out before you reduce your intake so that you lose any tolerancce and physical dependency, then again, call 911 and finish withdrawing in the hospital as discussed above. This will keep you alive and safe, after which you can start your life over from a post-dependent state, and rebuild your life. Do not repeat taking sedatives every day. Remember that you always have the control to live any life that you choose to live.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I am worried about my Rivotril-Meprobamate intake with alcohol. Please help me with some advice!

I am in South Africa. My doctor wouldn't up my dose of Rivotril after 8 months of taking 2 mgs. So i was having a hard time, started adding gin&tonic to compensate, then I found stilpane with meprobamate and the tolerance was sorted. But I now feel caged in a dangerous addictive cycle. Please help!

^
This post is from 2017. If you need some help or recommendations I suggest starting a new thread .
8 months is a long time but not that long also 2mg is not a crazy dose . I’m not sure when you say you feel caged if you would like to stop or continue but are worried about dependency. If you start you’re own thread I would be glad to chime in whatever advice I can give ?

^
This post is from 2017. If you need some help or recommendations I suggest starting a new thread .
8 months is a long time but not that long also 2mg is not a crazy dose . I’m not sure when you say you feel caged if you would like to stop or continue but are worried about dependency. If you start you’re own thread I would be glad to chime in whatever advice I can give ?

Good idea. I second that. Just go easy on your clonazepam. I would suggest taking the minimum ammount you need (without geting withdrawal) for a few days while cuting out the stilpan ect. Then returning back to your prescribed dose (should help with any negatives from cuting out the booze ect)

If your on 2mg a day, if you can slip down to 1.5mg for 2 or 3 days without being to uncomfortable it will be worth it. Then continue with your 2mg/D. The little boost from the 1.5>2mg should numb the booze craving.

I done a 8mg Alprazolam a day cold turkey. Yeah it was horrible and traumatic but I survived. It took a week for me to start feeling better, then at day 10 I was completely normal! I'm not saying you should cold turkey because they're are risks. But I did it.

EDIT: Now I've found my self on Clonazepam!!! I think I'll do a taper plan this time, but only when im ready.

Last edited:
Good post. People need to know that withdrawal from benzodiazepines can be fatal.
Yes, barbiturates are the best and most pleasant way to commit suicide. I tried to kill myself with phenobarbital a few years ago. I took them over too long a period of time and passed out after only 7 or 8 60mg pills. Fortunately I had just been made homeless so was in a fairly public space. Anyway, apparently the paramedics took less than 5 minutes to get there and I was already in a coma when they arrived. I was in Intensive Care hooked up to breathing machines etc and took 4 days to come out of the coma.

Good post. People need to know that withdrawal from benzodiazepines can be fatal.
Yes, barbiturates are the best and most pleasant way to commit suicide; that's why places like Dignitas use Sodium Pentobarbital. I tried to kill myself with phenobarbital a few years ago. I took them over too long a period of time and passed out after only 7 or 8 60mg pills. Fortunately I had just been made homeless so was in a fairly public space. Anyway, apparently the paramedics took less than 5 minutes to get there and I was already in a coma when they arrived. I was in Intensive Care hooked up to breathing machines etc and took 4 days to come out of the coma.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! But it is really rough. I have a 2mg Rivotril which is scored with a Cross so I split it up into quarters. If I take 1.5 mgs instead of 2 mgs. in a day, I do not sleep at all, I shake the whole day and am very anxious. The tapering is not going to work if this is what happens. My script is coming to an end soon and my GP has already mentioned Trazodone, but I am very wary of serotonergic medication, the only side effect of Benzo's is dependance and tollerance, these other drugs are used for Bi Polar syndrome and off the label as sleeping aids, but the list of side effects is huge.

Question, not for myself either, my mother was on 6mg/day for sleep aid of clonazepam, and me being a former alcoholic i know all about benzos, shes cut to 2mg/day, but the problem is, theres no way to get her 1mg or 0.5 unless we cut up her pills, which she most likely wont adhere to and me being concerned for her wellbeing whem she runs out in awhile is the withdrawals can be deadly, thoughts anyone?
And i wont hit the streets for xanax for her as long story but did somthing like that once, ended up with her threatening to call cops on me if i didnt get what she needed lel... edit mind you we can break b
Them in half, but .5 is kinda a problem can someone go from 1mg cold turkey no risk or????? Sincerely concerned as she is basically my only family i give two shits about and ive helped her through opiate withdrawal which was extremely difficult on me, let alone her and i dont need any more bs nor can i really mentally tolerate it as im a poly drug addict myself

Last edited:
Maybe a I don’t understand the question, but just Ask
your doctor to rx .5 mg kpins. Any good dr should be willing to accommodate the request to help your mom get off of the benzos. Now once

Cold turkey is out of the question. Ain't gonna work, and the symptoms could be life-threatening.

The problem is that once you calculate the potency equivalencies, you realize this. A 2 mg Rivotril is like 40 mgs of Diazepam. So a quarter is like 10 mgs. Diazepam (Valium) which is a lot. Knocking off that quarter is quite a step down, not easy to do. Going for Xanax is totally wrong as on the one hand, Clonazepam and Xanax have the same exact potency but their half-lifes are opposite. Clonazepam has a very long half life, Xanax a vey short half life. So after 4-6 hours the cravings start again. Diazepam has a comparable half-life to Clonaepam and given the difference in potency, with a little help from your GP, you can step-down a lot easier by converting the Clonazepam to Diazepam (2 mgs Clonazepam = 40 mgs Diazepam) so you can knock off 2 mgs Diazepam every week or so to have a 'soft’ withdrawl. Diazepam does come in 2, 5, 10 and 20 mg pills. Ask your GP about this, I'm sure he'd be willing to help, if first and foremost your mum is willing to get help.

@ Totach Sorry, I don't know how to start a new thread yet, can you help me with that?
I feel 'caged' because my last repeat is about to end, and my doctor has already mentioned that he wants to taper me off the Rivotril with Trazodone. I do not want to do this. I find that the Rivotril has addressed many issues I was struggling with (insomnia, anxiety and shakes). Secondly, Trazodone is a serotonergic medication and I do not want to mess around with my Serotonin receptors as I feel I do not have an issue with them. Trazodone may help me sleep, but will not address the over-activity of my GABA receptors. Furthermore, he is unwilling to up the dose of the Rivotril which has reached it's tolerance Plateau at 2 mgs. and is no longer keeping me asleep for more than 4-5 hours. I also have to split the dose up so I can control my anxiety and shakes during the day. I really don't know where to go from here as I do not feel like I'm addicted to Rivotril as much as Rivotril is actually delivering therapeutic benefits. I have tried to knock off a quarter of the dose during 1 day and it is almost as if I hadn't taken it at all.

So I am resorting to old 'junkie ticks' from a distant past that I thought I was really over with (mixing & matching, cyp inhibiting ect) just to self-medicate. That's why I say I feel 'caged'. Thank you for listening!!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did pull myself together and spoke to the GP. Got 7 months script for 2 mgs. Rivotril and 7 months of 60 x 150 mgs. Meprobamate. WIll make it work. Thanks guys!