• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Want to stop using cocaine

lauren098

Greenlighter
Hi there
I just wanted some advice really.
I am not completely reliant on cocaine nor am I addicted.
How ever if I go to a party where alcahol is involved and other people around me are using It can't say no, and if I try to be sensible and not do it I start getting annoyed and feel like I'm not enjoying myself as much of the rest of my friends and do it any way.

Cocaine doesn't affect me very well either (the comedown) I don't move for 24hrs and I become EXTREMLY emotional.

I just want to be able to attend a party, enjoy myself not spend an absolute fortune and have to deal with a comedown the next day!

I know this is a long shot, but maybe you could ask one or two of your friends to sort of stop you when they hear you're trying to buy some? Maybe you can agree with someone else that you'll only use once a month? Sometimes its easier if you feel responsible to or for someone else.

You can stop drinking or stop going to parties. If you can't control yourself then you need to remove the factors that lead to use.

Or you can find a different crowd to hang out with. Most parties don't have people openly using coke. So get away from the people that do if you still want to drink and party and have a good time.

If you want to try something less drastic to start, put a hair band or rubber band around your wrist anytime you might run into this situation. Then snap it and tell yourself no, you don't need it to have fun. Keep snapping your wrist so it stings any time you want to go get involved. Your brain is pretty good at rationalizing reasons to do something but is also pretty good at stopping an action if you can remind yourself something is bad. Giving yourself a painful negative reinforcement can help remind you it's a bad thing and help stop you from rationalizing why you can do it one more time. Thinking about the comedown and why you want to stop will also help. Your brain is an amazing thing and can allow you to do anything you want. But sometimes you need a little help in learning how to focus on your goal and little tricks like snapping your wrist can help you focus and associate a negative pain stimulus with something you want to stop. Unless you like pain and then that might backfire and you will need to find something else. Worth trying if you don't want to turn your life upside down quite yet.

Good luck and talking to people can be helpful so don't hesitate to use this site and ask questions if you need to.

I just want to add that my response was going on the assumption that you're fairly young. I know people who are still doing coke and only do coke while partying on past their 20's. In fact, I'm often surprised as most of these people are those I wouldn't peg for doing "harder" drugs since they began using them past the age of 25. While I agree entirely with what Crack'r has said, and while that's the ideal solution, dropping your friends and social life altogether is really difficult, though ultimately that is what you are up against.

I used to go through the same type of thing, but in the end it's mind over matter, you just have to be able to enjoy yourself even if you don't partake in the cocaine. And if it really is bothering you to the point where you no longer can enjoy yourself, maybe limit yourself to one or two lines, that way you get your jollys, but won't endure a terrible comedown..

- Hopeless Soul