View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Want more info on Salvia divinorum

Jackplays

Bluelighter
Hey, I'm interested in trying Salvia, but don't know we're to start. I haven't found too much info online about dosing and such, and need help with that. Iv found dried leaf, from a reputable seller. Iv heard you can get alot with the dried leaf, but iv also heard you can't. How much would I need to take in one hit? About .1 of a G, like a good bowl of weed? Iv also heard about the extracts, but could not find a reputable place selling them. If I did find a good place, I'd assume 20x would be a good place to start. Correct, or not?

[Don't mention sources, regardless of how obvious it may seem. Thanks. :)]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get 20x you really may want to weigh it with a milligram scale (which don't have to be expensive at all). Extract's a herb (potentiated though) but that doesn't mean you can just eyeball it.

I am not the kind of person to tolerate big hits of heavy smoke and never got plain leaf to really work I think... but 20x is not necessary either IMO, 10x is fine - I'd get whatever is doable to weigh accurately on your scale without being overly expensive.

A lot of people experience nothing and then are hit heavily all of a sudden especially if they get impatient and keep upping the dose hastily and without clearing / smoking everything in the pipe first. Don't get surprised like that.

Salvia, perhaps more so than other substances, seems to be the classic case of varying mileages. The term "salvia hard-head" and "salvia soft head" appear fairly often in the literature. As Solipsis says above, it might be best to start low and titrate upwards. Heroic doses in the case of salvia can leave one in a state of shock afterwards and during the short (but somehow timeless) trip you can end up terrified and confused. This in itself can be a humbling (and I really mean humbling 8o!) experience and if taken in the spirit of psychonautical adventuring a positive one. No-one to my knowledge has suffered lasting psychological damage and in my own case overall it seems a worthwhile learning experience. In actual fact despite the brutality and ferocity of the experience I've only ever sustained positive after-effects. One tenth of a gram of 10x standardised leaf sent me into strangely familiar but bizarre territory. Enjoy =D

People have definitely suffered lasting psychological damage, usually from having seen some lifted veil of reality that is somehow shocking, haunting or terrifying. It's not all that common though. I've read similar things about 5-MeO-DMT, people being afraid to go to sleep - just terrified about something in the experience that was traumatizing.

Not sure about the predisposition or sensitivity that can be a factor, but psychedelics can make you vulnerable and impressionable in a way that can lead to an acute development of e.g. a phobia or panic/anxiety disorder. I've gone through something pretty heavy that gave me a mosquito phobia for over a year, but then again I am predisposed to certain sensitivities (tactile sensations can bother me unusually for example). More likely seems to be to develop serious anxiety after an NBOMe experience, although it's not impossible with more traditional psychedelics. Enough people have reported issues like that here in PD with NBOMe's though, they have unreasonably strong action even besides the other health risks.

Anyway the therapeutic potential is usually much more of a standard reliable effect while the above are more rare... especially if you stop to think what it might be like if your natural sensitivities and predispositions would go into overdrive and try your best to avoid psychedelics from causing them going into overdrive. Check your set and setting and if they give you a protected situation you are unlikely to be screwed... but the most extreme psychedelics can get to you even then, if you're unlucky.

@salvia: I am fascinated by it but hardly interested anymore in taking it at all... but oral administration of super fresh leaves (no more than an hour after harvest or so) sounds interesting to me, which might involve substances in salvia that are NOT salvinorin A and degrade ultra quickly when the leaves are harvested... also quidding to just get a more relaxed dilated salvinorin A trip seems more reasonable than smoking.

quidding is not better than smoking

I think it is a ruse played upon the white psycho-botanic investigators visiting Native American Curandero's
chew this and don't spit - eww gross!!!
I had several plants for a while, plenty of access to fresh leaves.
really gross to chew them
I only used fresh leaves orally as a digestive, it helps with cramps, and was recorded by Cortez's crew as a cure or treatment for "stone in belly" pilpiltzintzilli was what salvia divinorum was called.

Anyway you need to chew 50 or more leaves for a good effect.
it is very unpleasant and messy when chewed - and very wasteful.

^ LOL Pupnik. Finally someone dare speaks a possible truth I agree. Smoking is another level and neither is right or wrong, good or bad, better or worse. Salvia made itself known to us here outside of Mexico by smoking. It introduced itself through smoking. This notion that we can disrespect a plant by the method of ingestion are just myths presented recently in years to make the whole thing sound esoteric. Believe me, I use to tremble in respect with Salvia or DMT but on one very powerful DMT trip I realized I am not disrespecting anything outside myself and if I respect myself and the experience any method is ok. Saying that a bunch of teenagers smoking Salvia in a group while "partying" has yielded some scary experiences but that is a disrespect on a personal level.

I just read the methadone and ayahuasca thread and that whole notion of disrespect was addressed and almost put to bed by a recent post. These sacraments are for healing ourselves, not for us to dress up and play house in some manner that another unenlightened person tells us we have too. Narrowed down even more, it is unhip to say any other use is unhip. :) Follow your heart here with these substances and make your own respect and rules. It works.