• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Vyvanse HR question

IHateColleg

Greenlighter
So my little cousin(8-9 years old) is prescribed 30mg Vyvanse. Its supposed to help his attention and behavior in class, but doesnt help that much. I think that he is way too young to be taking any form of amphetamine, but my family must not know of the risks that some medicenes bring.

I know medical grade drugs are safer than street drugs, but wouldnt Vyvanse usage for such a young kid be detrimental to their development?

I ask this because I was prescribed ADHD drugs when i was even younger than him. Aftet being prescribed Vyvanse again in middle school, I realized it was getting me high and sparked my interest in drugs. Now I like to be high most of the time, and I kind of attribute this to being exposed to strong drugs like Vyvanse at an early age. I educate myself on drugs, but if my cousin doesnt, he could end up hurting himself.

What are your 2 cents?

Honestly Vyvanse is usually prescribed because its harder to abuse it. Thats what my psyche said when they thought I had ADHD and gave it to me.

Of course if you take half a months supply at once you will be balls to the wall but regular use should be fine if its the correct diagnoses and the reason its harder to abuse is because you cant snort them as it isnt as effective because some enzyme in your stomache is what actually turns it from l-amphetemine to regular amphetamine... or something it was a long time ago I was on that. Also taking more than one takes longer for those enzymes to break the chemical down so thats why I needed to take mass amounts for it to work.

I had already been a stim freak though prior to that... was hoping for xanax after getting clean off coke,mdpv and adderall and the dr said nah lets give you your favorite drug family... Amphetamines! lol yeah she doesnt work there anymore... wonder why.

I am curious how you got high off supposedly taking your medication the way you were supposed to. I was at the highest dose of it and it didnt do anything until I would take 10-15 of them. Adderall on the other hand...

Also its typically easier for younger people to take the ADHD medicine without getting addicted than it is when your older.

I am not a dr... and am not too smart either but have some experience I thought I would share.

If the medication doesn't seem to be helping then maybe the child should try a different medication or discontinue.

It's probably best to leave the discussion/decision between the child's parents and doctor. All you can do is offer your opinion.

But I understand where you are coming from. My youngest son is borderline autistic and has attention issues in school. Teachers and faculty have insisted we take him to the doctors, which we have, but all the doctors want to do is try medication.

I never had attention problems like my son, so I really don't know if medication is the best option for him. All i know is my experience... and I have very serious problems with stimulant abuse/addiction over the years. Addiction problems run rampant in my family. I'm worried introducing him to medication will only open that can of worms for him. But he could potentially benefit greatly. I'm so fucking torn on what to do.

From what I understand starting medications like that is easier to behave with them the earlier you start.

You get amphetamines when your 25-30 and your like oh shit gimme gimme gimme!

But if your a kid you don't think about drugs yet typically. Also assuming the diagnosis is right and the dosage is right and it helps him, it could very well prevent him from doing a lot of stupid crap later.

I just think of what would have happened if I started ADHD medicine when I was younger... seems like it would have been beneficial.

Again I know nothing. Just some personal experience and thought.

Thank you for the replies!! Im not exactly sure if it works well for him or not, just that he got into trouble for saying impulsive things.

It is true, I cant really do anything but talk to him if I see there is a problem arising...it just seems like if his parents would be a bit more patient he wouldnt really require it.

In response to AnDelusionalDog, back in middle school i would be spun off of 60-90mg and couldnt sleep at night, so to what extent my cousin is affected, Im not sure, but IMO its not a good sign that he has to take sleeping pills at night to get sleep.
Thank you for the replies, all should be good, im just worried for his mental/physical wellbeing because he's quite young.