• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Voices on Dexedrine - A common thing?

crackhead226

Greenlighter
So I have Dexedrine prescribed and I don’t take it daily but once in a while. When I take it I sleep every night, sometimes only a few hours but I still sleep every night. I’m on it right now and my tolerance is pretty low at the moment. I can handle doses like 20-30mg per day with no problem. But when I get to larger does (for my tolerance), like 40-50mg I start hearing distant voices immediately. The voices are very interested in me and what I am doing. They like to comment on what I’m doing, or often verbally attack me.

I have zero mental health problems in my personal history and in my family history. Should I be worried by these side effects? They disappear as soon as the drug wear off but I do feel it’s harmful for my mental health in some way. Also does anyone know the scientific explanation to why this is happening?

Excessive dopamine release.

Have you abused stimulants before?

I also take dexedrine at 20mg to 70mg per day and don't experience this. Even despite having experience full blown stimulant psychosis from RC stimulants like MDPV, A-PVP and also from using 160mg/methylphenidate per day for a few years.

What i do notice from higher doses of dexedrine (like 60mg+) is some slight tinges of paranoia, which is usually the beginning of it for me.

During my stimulant psychosis from other drugs I have experienced the type of stimulant induced auditory hallucinations you've described. Its sounds like someone is watching you on camera somewhere and they don't realize that they have their speaker turned on and you can hear them. Its not real of course.

The simple solution is to avoid those doses if they are producing auditory hallucinations.

I've never noticed anything like that myself but if I start needing more than 30mg a day I'll take a tolerance break rather than more dex. Stimulant induced psychosis is a pretty well documented phenomenon, maybe you're experiencing the early warning signs of it.

Maybe just try to keep your dose below 40mg if that's where you start having problems. I'd definitely talk to your doctor if it gets worse or doesn't go away on lower doses.

Pretty common with amphetamines. Some say its due to sleep deprivation, and that can be a factor absolutely. I however suspect there is more to it, as sometimes I would use for only 12 hours and start getting minor hallucinations like that... that was usually with meth but the mechanism of action is very very similar to dextroamphetamine.

Pretty common with amphetamines. Some say its due to sleep deprivation, and that can be a factor absolutely. I however suspect there is more to it, as sometimes I would use for only 12 hours and start getting minor hallucinations like that... that was usually with meth but the mechanism of action is very very similar to dextroamphetamine.
Yes the voices at that stage are still very minor. Maybe there’s something to that excessive dopamine release.

“The dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia postulates that hyperactivity of dopamine D2 receptor neurotransmission in subcortical and limbic brain regions contributes to positive symptoms of schizophrenia, whereas negative and cognitive symptoms of the disorder can be attributed to hypofunctionality of dopamine D1 receptor neurotransmission in the prefrontal cortex (Toda & Abi-Dargham, 2007).”