• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Video: Sugar = Posion

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
John Oliver Takes Aim at America’s Sugar Addiction
The comedian goes after Big Sugar for tricking Americans into eating 75 pounds of this "treat" a year.

Douglas Capraro | 10/28/14 said:
On last night’s episode of Last Week Tonight, host John Oliver, who is known for eviscerating societal wrongs with razor-sharp wit, took aim at the “treat” in Trick-or-Treat. In the clip (below), he criticizes Big Sugar for marketing a substance to kids that is known to be both harmful and addictive.

Halloween is mostly about candy. But though we call it a “treat,” the average American consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar a day, according to the clip, which adds up to 75 pounds of the sweet stuff a year. “That’s like eating Michael Cera’s weight in sugar every single year,” Oliver quips.

But jokes aside, sugar is addictive, at least according to scientist Eric Stice, whose research claimed: “sugar activates our brain in a special way that’s very reminiscent of… drugs like cocaine.”

Because of its appeal, food manufacturers put sugar in everything from sodas and candies to salad dressings, ketchup and even Clamato juice. One of the biggest problems, says Oliver, is that people don’t realize how much of the substance they’re consuming, especially since “no one understands the metric system.” As his solution, he urges the sugar industry to adopt measurements everybody could understand: circus peanuts, or the ”most disgusting of all the candies.”

He asks his followers to tweet #showusyourpeanuts at food manufacturer and urge them to “whip out their peanuts and present them to you.” Who’s on board?

[video=youtube_share;MepXBJjsNxs]http://youtu.be/MepXBJjsNxs[/video]
http://www.substance.com/video-john-oliver-takes-aim-at-americas-sugar-addiction/14820/

Me and other recovering dope fiends ik all love candy! Trade vices for the lesser evil, I've never had a problem and I eat more sugar than the average American.

I eat more sugar than the average American.

Keep it up. You will have a lot of problems. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be so rude, but that's just disgusting. Do you know how much sugar/sucrose/glucose/etc the avg American consumes on a daily/yearly basis? Ew-ie :(

Mmmm I don't care I love it mmmmm candy and soda right now have fun eating tasteless food and living longer

Ah but when you eat a more balanced diet you get to enjoy the pleasure of a much more diverse array and enticing mix of different flavors and textures, among other things. Plus well prepared healthy food is sweeter than any sugar rich product or dish any day (with some exception, like red bean paste, love that shit).

I try and avoid sugar and salt as much as possible, it's in alot of stuff already, I dont wont to add to it with sweets and soft drinks. If I buy soft drink I try and get zero sugar ones, but I mostly drink water. I dont eat sweets or candy, just sugar free gum.

I switched to honey for my 2 cups of tea or coffee in the morning, but I found it was pretty expensive. So I rotate between sugar and honey for it. I only add one teaspoon anyway.

I am 40 and I have 1 filling. I do have trouble with ground teeth, as in I grind them when I am asleep, I guess the 2 decades I used and abused speed and MDxx didn't help with the grinding either tho :\

I ate no sugar for about a decade, and felt wonderful.
Then, I moved to Japan, and it was too difficult to keep it up without a wider variety of food.
I still limit my sugar intake pretty strictly, though.
White sugar is nasty shit for your body.
If you think that you can eat loads of it and have no problems, I think you are very naive.

Edit: I will list a few dangers:
sugar fucks up your kidneys.
sugar causes heart failure.
sugar can lead to type 2 diabetes - adding one sugar-sweetened drink a day almost DOUBLES your risk.
A recent meta-analysis says that sugar intake is linked to diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

Sugar - Just Say NO

Last edited: