Video Evidence

yostf

Bluelighter
Well, after a long, fucked up situation, somehow the cops have in their property a tape my friend made this summer containing him and his friends smoking weed, eating mushrooms and acid, as well as other stupid things.

I've thought about this a million times but I'm not 100% sure on the answer, but my question is, is that ... can any legal action be taken against my friend? Meaning, could he possibly get in trouble with the law?

I think that the most extreme actions they would take is to either watch his house or just search it, but it's the County's call, not mine.

Well, thanks ... %)

Judas H. Priest! How did the tape get into the hands of the cops?

Fortunately for you geniuses, the state must prove your guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. And, neither you nor your friends are required to substantiate what is actually happening on the tape.

You all need to plead the 5th and ride it out. A chain is only as strong as its individual links.

Lastly, you have the right to refuse a blood test unless one or more of you are on probation.

if anyone asks those were legally purchased non psychadelic mushrooms, oregano that you only called weed to be funny and blank pieces of blotter....spread the word to your friends and try and let the pigs prove otherwise....

hm.. this really makes me wonder what my friend did with those pictures of us smoking...

You all need to plead the 5th and ride it out. A chain is only as strong as its individual links.

I have to agree with this statement. Everyone involved should be aware that it is within their Constitutional rights not to answer potentially incriminating questions without first consulting one's attorney.

I also want to know how the cops got hold of the tape. I'll give you my opinion on the chances he may get busted once I know the circumstances by which the tape was obtained.

Let this serve as a warning to us all: it's never a good idea to let pics or video be taken that show you or a friend engaging in blatantly illegal activity.

Last edited:
this is how the tape was obtained by the police:
my friend with the camera was with people who were thought to be apart of some recent damages to an empty hospital. they got pulled over and the cops said that they needed the video recorder to check for any visual evidence of the vandalism committed [broken down door; windows].

Hmn, it is academic in this case, but do the cops have a right to just demand a video recording on the basis that they suspect it may possibly contain evidence of a crime they don't even know who committed?

So, if this ever happens to someone else, do we have the right to refuse to hand over a camcorder or tape?

--- G.

You have the right to refuse, otherwise they need "reasonable suspicion" or a warrant to look at it, but as they handed over the camcorder, it was a legally obtained tape. But plead the 5th, and dont say ANYTHING whatsoever, let your attourney talk for you.