• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Victorian of the Year: Legal cannabis, ecstasy campaigner David Penington honoured

casual1

Bluelighter
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-...ampaigner-named-victorian-of-the-year/5563242

An octogenarian who wants cannabis and ecstasy legalised and has campaigned for safe injecting rooms has been named Victorian of the Year.
Professor David Penington heads a committee advising the Victorian Government on its drug policies and was in charge of the Hawke government's national advisory committee on AIDS, which was largely responsible for the Grim Reaper campaign.
The 84-year-old also controversially proposed a system to allow Australians, aged 16 and over, access to cannabis and ecstasy provided they sign up to a national users' register.
Professor Penington said he was surprised to receive the honour of Victorian of the Year at an award ceremony in Melbourne.
"At the age of 84 I was really looking forward to genteel disappearance from the scene," he said.
But he said he would use his new title to continue his push for drug reform.
"The reality is that prohibition just hasn't worked for 100 years and the problems are getting worse," Professor Penington said.
"We've got to find better ways to handle illicit drugs."
Professor Penington recently set up the Penington Institute to assist local communities with the growing prevalence of the drug ice in regional Victoria.
"It involves police, it involves local organisations and families to educate young people about the damage that they're doing to their brains," he said.
Musician Melissa Tumeo was named Young Victorian of the Year.
The singer-songwriter contributed money raised from her performances and recordings to charities including Beyond Blue and the Cancer Council.

Thanks but no thanks. My insurance premiums are high enough without them knowing I am on a drug users register.

I'd rather stick to the black market and remain anonymous.

The article doesn't explain the purpose of the register. I wouldn't assume they would release the details to just anyone.

Why would they need to keep a register then?

You can assume all you want but I'd guess if you were on a register your car would be pulled over "randomly" more than you'd expect.

If it happened, which is unlikely in the foreseeable future, (seeing as how we don't even have medical cannabis legalised) it would be in the administration of a progressive Labor govt., but the conservative coalition may well repeal any such laws on re-relection, and then the federal and state cops would have a nice, neat list to work from.

I could see this used to bar people from visas, pain medication, employment, and basically make them second class citizens. Hold your fucking breath before I fill out a form about my drug use for the government. FUCK THAT.

Thanks and yes please.
What a champ - love when people in their 80s make people in their 40s look like conservative old farts stuck in the past, thinking first and foremost about their bank balance.
What a drag...
i say gimme gimme legal ganja!

If I was responsible for any background check, a register like this would be the first thing I'd look at. Car insurance companies, health insurance premiums, APRHA, Child services, Social security/ Dole would all have a vested interest in clandestine access to such a list. The police have computers that instantly check car rego's for out standing warrants and fines, it doesn't take a genius to consider how easy it would be to bust low lying fruit by profiling using the register and targeting these user first.

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. Equally if you do have something to hide keep your fucking head down.