• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Vicodin / Sub. Experienced Qualified Replies only, please.

Binky7766

Bluelighter
Hi,

My doctor has had me on a "trial" course of Suboxone for pain. It was not a success for me for pain, so now I'm tapering from it, taking 4 mg daily, 2 mg in the morning and 2 mg in the evening.

I have an injury which is extremely painful and I am unable to take NSAIDs due to a heart condition, so a friend gave me one Vicodin, 7.5-300.

So,

I took my usual dose of 2 mg of Suboxone this morning. I took the Vicodin about 2 1/2 hours ago. I didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling that opioids gave me in the days of yore. Instead, I felt anxiety. I looked it up and it said the combination of Suboxone with an opiate can kill me. I have questions!

1. Is it safe for me to take my usual dose of Xanax to calm me right now
2. How dangerous is this combo? I'm basically addicted to the Suboxone and not the Vicodin, so it's confusing 🫤
3. I want pain relief, so I wonder if I should stop the sub for a couple of days while I take Vicodin, or not take the Vicodin and just stay with my Suboxone and deal with the pain? Stinks!!

It is completely safe to take the xanax right now, if you a regularly accustomed to taking xanax. There is no risk of overdose when combining a low dose of a an opioid (like vicodin) with buprenorphine. What you saw when you looked it up -- the risk of death when combining suboxone with other opioids -- occurs in very unusual and extreme circumstances. You can take xanax as you would regularly.

Also, do not attempt to stop the suboxone in order to try to get pain relief from the hydrocodone. You will be sorely disappointed.

It is completely safe to take the xanax right now, if you a regularly accustomed to taking xanax. There is no risk of overdose when combining a low dose of a an opioid (like vicodin) with buprenorphine. What you saw when you looked it up -- the risk of death when combining suboxone with other opioids -- occurs in very unusual and extreme circumstances. You can take xanax as you would regularly.

Also, do not attempt to stop there suboxone in order to try to get pain relief from the hydrocodone. You will be sorely disappointed.

Thanks for responding. Do you think I should continue on my regularly scheduled Suboxone? I am unsure as to whether I should take this evenings to milligram dose.

Thanks for responding. Do you think I should continue on my regularly scheduled Suboxone? I am unsure as to whether I should take this evenings to milligram dose.

Is it OK to take today's second 2 mg dose?

Yes it is OK. Proceed as you would normally. There is zero risk of overdose. Essentially the 7.5mg of hydrocodone that you took was unable to bind to the opioid receptors in your brain because of suboxone's action as a high potency partial agonist. The suboxone has such a strong grip over the opioid receptors that it would take an enormous amount of hydrocodone to overpower it. This is why you experienced no pain relief.

The risk of harmful interaction that you might have read about when you searched about it online would only really apply in the case when someone, who has no tolerance to suboxone (or any opioid), simultaneously consumes a combination of suboxone and other opioids. In such a situation, dangerous or fatal respiratory depression could result. But in your situation, where you are consuming a total of 4mg/day of suboxone, you could probably take a handful of hydrocodone tablets and suffer no ill-effect (not that I recommend doing so, chiefly because it's a waste of hydrocodone and unnecessary exposure to acetaminophen).

So continue with your suboxone as you would normally, including the xanax, there is no need to fear any sort of interaction.

Yes it is OK. Proceed as you would normally. There is zero risk of overdose. Essentially the 7.5mg of hydrocodone that you took was unable to bind to the opioid receptors in your brain because of suboxone's action as a high potency partial agonist. The suboxone has such a strong grip over the opioid receptors that it would take an enormous amount of hydrocodone to overpower it. This is why you experienced no pain relief.

The risk of harmful interaction that you might have read about when you searched about it online would only really apply in the case when someone, who has no tolerance to suboxone (or any opioid), simultaneously consumes a combination of suboxone and other opioids. In such a situation, dangerous or fatal respiratory depression could result. But in your situation, where you are consuming a total of 4mg/day of suboxone, you could probably take a handful of hydrocodone tablets and suffer no ill-effect (not that I recommend doing so, chiefly because it's a waste of hydrocodone and unnecessary exposure to acetaminophen).

So continue with your suboxone as you would normally, including the xanax, there is no need to fear any sort of interaction.
OK, thank you very, very much. Sorry for all of the dupe responses. It didn't look like they were going through.