• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Vice article: Do you get unusual or unexpected effects from drugs?

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hi everyone in AADD

I have a journalist friend who is seeking input from people who have had unusual and unexpected effects from psychoactive drugs (any types).

It's an interesting question - most people I know with unusual responses to drugs have a reason for it, e.g. a medication they are on or as a result of medical procedures that might have permanently changed their responses, or due to ADHD or other neurodivergence.

Jenny is someone I can personally vouch for. You could use an anon/encrypted email if concerned.

You can read more about her work at http://www.jennyvalentish.com/ and https://twitter.com/jennyvalentish

Here's her pitch for your consideration:

I'm writing a story for Vice Global about how people have can have quite odd physiological effects to drugs – be it someone who gets revved up on sedatives, or calmed down by stimulants (though that's fairly well established, so I'd prefer different examples), or gets sleepy, aggressive or manic responses to a substance that most do not, or has an reliably adverse reaction to something, or finds that some things don't affect them at all. I'd then be talking to pharmacologists about my case studies, so if you've always wondered why something is the case, now's your chance! Names will be changed, of course. To take part in an email Q&A, please contact [email protected] by Thurs Mar 12, 2020. Be prepared I'll need to ask about: dose, route of administration, the behaviour, and whether you're on any medication.

Thanks everyone for your support.

I'll post the resulting Vice article back on this thread for you to check out later.

ALSO I thought it'd be an interesting discussion to have in this thread... are you one of these people who has the opposite or unexpected reaction to a drug? Or it just doesn't affect you? If so, what happened and how do you deal with it?

Thanks
Tronica

Yeah I guess the fact benzos make me wide awake and somewhat hyper-active has lead to some pretty ridiculous hazy, destructive, even beautiful and perhaps unheard of extremes... to say the least. Maybe I'll get in touch.

She should include a discussion of how some drugs frequently no longer have effects (normal or otherwise) for people on a whole range of psychiatric meds that every second person seems to be taking now. Also of interest would be the fact that without testing people might be taking a completely different substance to what they think they are - leading to unexpected results.

For example, a decade ago the maddest people I knew were on meth. These days it seems to sedate everybody taking it cause they are already loaded up on some kind of anti-psychotic (or have reached peak tolerance which means it produces contrary effects and chills them out). This is my personal experience also.

BL is full of "why doesn't X work for me anymore" posts - which are usually traceable back to medications or over-use - though usually difficult to tell in specific cases which is which. Although the conversation often begins about quality of product including tainting with things like fentanyl (making meth and coke sleepy) or meth (making heroin a whole new experience and coke a lot longer experience).