• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Veterans: VA hospital nicknamed 'Candy Land' because painkillers given out freely

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Veterans: VA hospital nicknamed 'Candy Land' because painkillers given out freely
By Aaron Glantz
Jan 9th 2015

Doctors at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs medical center in Tomah, Wis., hand out so many narcotic painkillers that some veterans have taken to calling the place "Candy Land."

They call the hospital's chief of staff, psychiatrist Dr. David Houlihan, "the Candy Man."

The number of opiate prescriptions at the Tomah VA more than quintupled from 2004, the year before Houlihan became chief of staff of the hospital, to 2012, according to data obtained by the Center for Investigative Reporting.

During the same period, the number of oxycodone pills handed out skyrocketed from 50,000 to 712,000, even as the number of veterans seeking care at the hospital declined, the data show.

Current and former hospital staff members described patients who show up to appointments stoned on painkillers and muscle relaxants, doze off and drool during therapy sessions, and burn themselves with cigarettes. They said Houlihan himself had "doped up" or "zombified" their patients and that workers who raised questions have been punished.

In August, a 35-year-old Marine Corps veteran died of an overdose in the inpatient psychiatric ward.

"It's a system that's gone completely haywire," said Ryan Honl, a Gulf War veteran and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point who in October resigned from his position as a secretary in the hospital's mental health clinic after two months, filing a federal whistleblower complaint on his way out.

The exponential growth in the use of narcotics transformed this rural medical center from a conservative prescriber of painkillers to one typical of runaway opiate prescription throughout the VA health care system. Its problems underscore the difficulty the VA is having in maintaining standards of quality patient care, even after a national scandal forced VA Secretary Eric Shinseki to resign in May.

Responding to years of complaints about Houlihan, the VA's inspector general filed a report in March that found the psychiatrist had, on average, prescribed the equivalent of 25,000 milligrams of morphine to each of the 128 patients he saw in 2012. Investigators said that level was "at considerable variance compared with most opioid prescribers" and "raised potentially serious concerns" that should be brought to the attention of the federal agency's leadership.

Independent experts contacted by CIR said it was disturbing that the top prescriber of painkillers was a psychiatrist charged with treating mental, rather than physical, ailments.

Continued here http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tomah-va-hospital-nw-20150109-story.html#page=1

Morphine works great for PTSD and other psychological pain, though it's not prescribed for that because of dependence and addiction...that's not to say that it should be used as a first-line treatment option, but it should be an available option. I'm not saying that what this doctor is doing is responsible or ethical, for all I know he is treating the patients like guinea pigs or is some kind of sadist..but theoretically opioids/opiates do have a place in psychiatry, and have been proven to be effective for treating a variety of illnesses.

25,000 milligrams per year per patient is only about 70 mg per day...which isn't much if this is via PO administration. Although, it would surely constitute an addiction. But if these veterans find that the only way of coping with their stress is to take opiates, then they should have that right...but the doctors should not be pushing painkillers on their patients, they should only use them as a last resort if other kinds of treatments/therapy are ineffective.

It's really hard for me to say if long term opioid/opiate therapy is a viable/beneficial treatment option, but I know there have been various studies looking at using oral morphine to treat OCD and other psychiatric disorders...I just hope these veterans aren't unknowing subjects to some kind of study, cause I wouldn't be suprised if the military/medical community is doing studies with oral morphine for PTSD and other psychological illnesses common amongst veterans.

Gonna be some pissed off patients after this article. The candy land is probably over with.