• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids very concerned

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
I'm deeply worried about this. I've been using poppy seed tea (PST) to deal with back pain, never using more frequently than once a week. I usually feel great during, fine after, and a bit nauseous during AND after, but nothing to be concerned about. However, last night I made a batch of tea that was SIGNIFICANTLY more potent than usual (due to the variation in seeds, and yes I know how risky PST is. It's only supposed to be for my back (5 herniated discs) since my Percocet supply dried up, but it's usually been pretty consistent anyway...until last night. Last night I drank my usual amount over my usual amount of time, but I got WAY higher than I've ever gotten before...to the point where I wasn't sure whether I should go to the ER or what. I paid attention to my breathing and my heartbeat (DEFINITELY depressed) and today I'm having some really weird symptoms. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal even though I DEFINITELY haven't been using more than once/week. There's no question...I don't mark the calendar, lol, but I remember the date and project accordingly.) These are the symptoms:

1) too hot/too cold in perfect weather
2) lightheaded - weird visual things happening, like the aftereffects of tripping where things are not quite staying still yet, especially if you catch it out of the corner of your eye
3) headache
4) vaping nicotine makes me feel high again, weird cuz usually nicotine doesn't affect me at all cuz I'm so used to it
5) still very tired and I slept a lot today - even drifting in and out while I sit on this chair
6) having trouble swallowing and peeing -can't pee unless I force it out, almost choking on water a few times because I couldn't swallow and I ran out of air while drinking
7) grinding teeth
8) anxiety through the roof
9) those weird jerks happening when I'm laying down relaxing

What is this? Is there any chance that taking an ultra-high dose of morphine, codeine, thebaine etc etc got me instantly addicted and now I'm going through WD? OR what?

Sounds like you took too much. In my opinion you are experiencing a combination of an opiate hangover plus some lingering effects that haven't quite subsided yet.

But it's impossible to say over the internet, so who really knows. Withdrawals or rebound symptoms are possible too.

In the future, you may want to use a smaller test dose each time you are working with a new batch in order to ascertain potency before taking a full dose.

I'd agree. You'd have to be very careful measuring dosages just so you can avoid any untoward effects. In fact, I'd have to say the same maxim applies to such things as Kratom, Phenibut, etc. Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out. :)

keep in mind that poppy seed preparations are not standardized as to opioid content: if you make a batch of poppy seed tea you cannot assume you will need exactly the same amount as previous batches to get high. Every batch of tea needs to be either consumed slowly and gradually, or titrated and dosed accordingly.

If you get lightheaded, sick, have the chills instead of euphoria/warmth etc that is a sign you are dosing too high. Same with the urinary retention.

PS. if you overdose on poppy preparations you probably aren't going to be able to get yourself to a doctor if needed, so either be very careful with dosing, or get a naloxone kit and keep it close by....

The nice thing with kratom in comparison is you will almost certainly get very sick before you could take a lethal dose. Kratom is actually an adrenergic stimulant in addition to mild opioid so it counteracts a lot of the respiratory effects too.