• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Versed and hydromorphone for someone passing away

Lucy20

Ex-Bluelighter
Im not sure where to put this so i apologize if it's in the wrong section.
My father is passing from lung cancer and being moved to palative care for his last days.
Im terrified of how he will pass, if he would be fighting for air and in a panic.
The palative care doctor told me they would give him versed (midlozam) and hydromorphone in a bigger dose to calm him when he passes.
Im the only one here with him and was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how "strong " the midlozam is. Ive taken many benzos but never this one. I would imagine its basically to od him so he dies peacefully.
So my question is has anyone heard of this combo for someone dying? And is versed a strong benzo?

IV Midazolam is pretty strong and puts people to sleep very rapidly. My kid got it before an operation and I couldn't stand seeing how fast and how deep she passed out. I recall that Hydromorphone is nearly the same potency with Diamorphine. So I'm pretty sure your dad will be as comfortable as possible with this combination.

This could give you a better idea about IV Midazolam in comparison to Diazepam & Lorezapam: https://coreem.net/core/parenteral-benzodiazepines/

Sorry for your father Lucy.

Last edited:
Midazolam is pretty much a blackout benzo. Hydromorphone is an strong opiate. I think they use somewhat similar combos in the states to kill people.

If they are giving him bigger doses he will definitely die peacefully.

Thanks everyone, my biggest fear was him passing struggling. My mind is a little at ease knowing he won't be.
And in my country, they don't have a cap on how much dad can take so he could choose to go quickly with a big shot of the 2. Its not assisted death but kinda in a way.
People everywhere should be able to die with dignity

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

If he's seeming distressed, they'll likely give him more. The midazolam basically keeps you unconscious whilst they hydro does it's thing.

He should be blissed out as he passes, I really hope.

How are you coping?

Im doing better than i figured, thank you. Just really hard to watch and im alone so thats not helping. Weed is actually keeping me kinda sedated . I know I will smoke another cigarette and if anyone saw how someone passes from lung problems they would surely quit.
My dad was the only parent i had so it feels like im going to be alone in the world and that is a scary thought

Thanks everyone, my biggest fear was him passing struggling. My mind is a little at ease knowing he won't be.
And in my country, they don't have a cap on how much dad can take so he could choose to go quickly with a big shot of the 2. Its not assisted death but kinda in a way.
People everywhere should be able to die with dignity
Not trying to be funny, but could your dad choose to take multiple injections? He might leave feeling little better.

Dad is anti drug so im surprised he even took hydromorphone. Hes on a low dose but if it was me i would be high af. Noone knew how they would be until in the situation

And yes he can have it every 30minutes if he wanted and could raise his dose but he only takes it 4 times a day and slowly increase it

Youre right. Thinking know I too would be high as fuck, but idk in his position. Hopefully the hydromorphone helps him.

Im sending you my strength from here, since I have been in the same position and its a fucking torture to see someone die slowly.

@Lucy20 prayers going up from here (and not fake ones.) Losing my Mom was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I hope you find solace in happy memories.

i feel what you're going through and the best thing you can do is to enjoy the time you have, we're all on a clock some just run out of batteries before others but rest assured i've dealt with a scenario like this and i guarantee that your father will have the smoothest passing with hydromorphone and a benzo even though it's going to be tough your clock'll keep ticking forward but you'll always have his memory with you and i wish you all the best if you ever need to vent or talk bluelight'll always be there ofcourse

Midazolam is pretty much a blackout benzo. Hydromorphone is an strong opiate. I think they use somewhat similar combos in the states to kill people.

If they are giving him bigger doses he will definitely die peacefully.

They use the entire bottle of Dilaudid HP (500 mg of hydromorphone) and three phials of Versed (150 mg of midazolam) for the executions (or use compounding powders to cook up the shots -- powdered Dilaudid can actually be used to make a solution 25-33⅓ times more concentrated than Dilaudid HP), or they are supposed to, and at least in one state the idea is to shoot it into their leg IM if the regular lethal injection protocol cannot be done because they cannot find a vein -- the cases I heard about where the IV hydromorphone/midazolam executions were botched make me wonder if there were people in the prison stepping on the medication and the prisoners did not really get their 500 mg of hydromorphone.

I don't know how anyone even being able to use cigarettes, smuggled commissary items like candy bars, or sucking dick to purchase drugs in prison could not have his conference with St Peter after a half-gramme of D . . . it took me outrageous pain, 25 years on D and nicomorphine and dihydromorphine and two years of gabapentinoid-driven weight gain to get to where I could muscle 500 mg of D in a single dose. I knew I had to shoot it into my arse cheek because if I did it IV I would probably pass out with the needle still in my arm.

Sorry about your. Father.

It is morbid, but those are lethal drugs, so he should be able to go peacefully.

It's good he's being yted well, with lung cancer it is often "you neought it on yourself" which is bullshit. Older smokers did not know the risks, and younger ones are taken in by big tobacco, and not all lung cancer is caused by smoking(I am a smoker, for the record

Half a gram of H-morphine is f'in massive! Do you stay awake? Quitting or even going on ort would b very hard, Nico

Half a gram of H-morphine is f'in massive! Do you stay awake? Quitting or even going on ort would b very hard, Nico

I drifted off to sleep sometimes, others not . . . a syringe driver helped too. My record was exactly a gramme in the thigh on one occasion, then I lost all the extra weight from the gabapentin and more (about 72 per cent of my body weight in a couple of years, which I believe reduces the dose of just about anything to get the same mg/kg by the same amount but the dose to get the same serum concentration, at least of hydromorphone, is even a bit more of a reduction) after they switched me to topiramate instead of gabapentin and also the worst offenders of the nerves in my lower to middle back apparently gave up the ghost. Since hydromorphone has a short duration of action, I was able to get the dose way down over the same period without any trouble -- so both the lack of legs of hydromorphone and probably a very large backlog of it stored in fat helped.