• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Venlafaxine (Effexor) questions

ColdBanger

Greenlighter
I've been on Effexor for a year and a half now. I started at 37.5, then moved to 75, then 150. I actually got tired of it and lowered my doses, I finished 75, now I'm back at 37.5. So my question is, I've been taking 37.5 for a few months now so can I stop it? I didn't take it today and I feel better.

I would not stop a medication that effects your brain without first talking to your doctor. In my opinion when I was in outpatient one of the biggest issues was feeling it out and stoping meds or stop meds due to pressure from parents or friends ect.

It really has alot to do with why you take it. If your taking for example for chronic pain youll probably develop a increase in pain. Unpleasant but not life threatening

I take effexor everyday for a suicide attempt. Now I feel fine now I am really putting myself in danage as there is strong evidence the receptors effexor influences in the severe subpopulation of depressed individuals could influence severity of symptoms

I've been on Effexor for a year and a half now. I started at 37.5, then moved to 75, then 150. I actually got tired of it and lowered my doses, I finished 75, now I'm back at 37.5. So my question is, I've been taking 37.5 for a few months now so can I stop it? I didn't take it today and I feel better.
Absolutely NOT. Venlafaxine is the longest taper requirement of any of the antidepressants.

I agree effexor binds to multiple receptors making discontinuation symptoms from stopping too quickly more likely. But given they already stopped like 75 % percent of the drug Id be most conserned if its for depression and developing it again

Worst drug I ever took in my life ... sweaty, anger, voices in me head, suicidal thoughts, brain zaps when quitting.

I feel for you, OP. Good luck.
I only took this drug short term after the death of a loved one because the Dr swore it'd help. It's def not for people who don't have depression issues.