• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Vein recovery

Rebornagain88

Bluelighter
Question for anyone in recovery from IV who lost all their veins. Preferably ppl who were shooting 10+ years. do they ever come back? Like as in nice full veins on your forearms and hands and biceps when your working out? Or do they just never return like they once were? I've been shooting 18 years now and I really miss seeing my veins lol, I'm down to just my groin and neck left, been using my groin tough for like 3 months now and for whatever reason I can never hit it very good, and miss part of the shot almost every time, and my groins always swollen and bruised from missing and trying different spots trying to find the right place where I can hit it full on and not miss half my shot everytime. But I know my times almost up, and im either gonna lose a leg, die, or have to quit. So im trying to find motivation to quit, but it's not coming easy

I have no idea about the veins. I've known a couple of IV users and to me they seemed a lot less "addicted". Like they managed themselves ok. I haven't had contact with either of them and I'm assuming things aren't that great for them. You can quit, it's not impossible. Just take baby steps if you can, maybe see a therapist or go to one of those DA/AA meetings. But honestly I thought that I wouldn't ever recover from meth use, and that's what kept me hooked for a long ass time.

Dang dude, I'm 30 this year and hanging the spikes. I'm done after 10 years+, anyway I think the party ud over and that u should reconsider shooting dark. Vein trombosis is no joke. I still feel the Electric jolts after years of shooting white.
In my case some of them have disappeared, but the other ones are fine. The game Is tough Man, blessings for ya.
Question for anyone in recovery from IV who lost all their veins. Preferably ppl who were shooting 10+ years. do they ever come back? Like as in nice full veins on your forearms and hands and biceps when your working out? Or do they just never return like they once were? I've been shooting 18 years now and I really miss seeing my veins lol, I'm down to just my groin and neck left, been using my groin tough for like 3 months now and for whatever reason I can never hit it very good, and miss part of the shot almost every time, and my groins always swollen and bruised from missing and trying different spots trying to find the right place where I can hit it full on and not miss half my shot everytime. But I know my times almost up, and im either gonna lose a leg, die, or have to quit. So im trying to find motivation to quit, but it's not coming easy

I'm 36 and started with pills like oxy and morphine for 5 years, then went to dark for like 7 years, then switched over to fetty and been with the fetty ever since. I didnt start shooting white till about 3 years ago, but have been goofballing aka speed balling ever since. I quit before like 6 years ago and switched to smoking for about 2 years, then got clean for a year. But ended up starting back up and it's harder than ever to quit this time
Dang dude, I'm 30 this year and hanging the spikes. I'm done after 10 years+, anyway I think the party ud over and that u should reconsider shooting dark. Vein trombosis is no joke. I still feel the Electric jolts after years of shooting white.
In my case some of them have disappeared, but the other ones are fine. The game Is tough Man, blessings for ya.
I'm 36,

I have no idea about the veins. I've known a couple of IV users and to me they seemed a lot less "addicted". Like they managed themselves ok. I haven't had contact with either of them and I'm assuming things aren't that great for them. You can quit, it's not impossible. Just take baby steps if you can, maybe see a therapist or go to one of those DA/AA meetings. But honestly I thought that I wouldn't ever recover from meth use, and that's what kept me hooked for a long ass time.
Oh ok my bad, I didn't realize you've known 2 ppl that used needles. Your definitely more versed on the subject than me, someone who's used needles everyday for 20 years, other than a 3 year period when I quit.
Yeah IV users are definitely A lot less addicted... All those ppl who share dirty needles, knowing there's a good chance they are about to get hep-c or aids but still do it cuz to them the rush from the needle is more important, those guys are definitely Alot less addicted.
Being addicted to the needle is a whole different level above being addicted to a drug, and unless youve experienced it you really have no clue. Plus quitting opiates is alot harder than meth, cuz not only do you have the mental and psychological struggles, but you also have severe physical withdrawals

Oh ok my bad, I didn't realize you've known 2 ppl that used needles. Your definitely more versed on the subject than me, someone who's used needles everyday for 20 years, other than a 3 year period when I quit.
Yeah IV users are definitely A lot less addicted... All those ppl who share dirty needles, knowing there's a good chance they are about to get hep-c or aids but still do it cuz to them the rush from the needle is more important, those guys are definitely Alot less addicted.
Being addicted to the needle is a whole different level above being addicted to a drug, and unless youve experienced it you really have no clue. Plus quitting opiates is alot harder than meth, cuz not only do you have the mental and psychological struggles, but you also have severe physical withdrawals
They were just commenting their thoughts and support, you clearly misread something and your condescension was kind of unwarranted and unnecessary.

Yeah, being addicted to the needle is no joke. Coming from someone that did it forever, there is no recovery after a certain point. You do permanent damage to your system. Yeah, that psychological part of the addiction sucks, but eventually, you get to the point where the pain outweighs any associated pleasure. Go through enough fucked up shit and mind/body hurting circumstances, and you'll be done with the needle. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I would recommend switching roa's as soon as possible if you want to have any kind of recovery. You say you've shot up everyday for years, and that's fine, but that's not sustainable no matter how many precautions you take. Snort your shit or smoke it. Boof it. Whatever. Get past the needle fetish, because it will destroy you sooner or later.

Vitamin E, and generally keeping the skin moisturized with lotions or whatever helps with the scarring, and staying hydrated and exercising helps with vein recovery. Once you "lose" them or collapse them, they are gone. Your body literally has to create new ones, and they will never be quite the same. Your body will not have the chance to do this if you continue injecting forever and don't give it a chance to recover.

I never had visible veins to begin with. My veins have recovered in the sense that if I were to try to shoot in them I could and I can get my blood drawn without too much issue but I wouldn't say they are 100% back to normal and if I were to start shooting again I am sure they would collapse a lot quicker this time. I don't use opiates any more and have no plans to return but if I ever did for some reason, I would not IV it's just not worth it long term.

I'm 36 and started with pills like oxy and morphine for 5 years, then went to dark for like 7 years, then switched over to fetty and been with the fetty ever since. I didnt start shooting white till about 3 years ago, but have been goofballing aka speed balling ever since. I quit before like 6 years ago and switched to smoking for about 2 years, then got clean for a year. But ended up starting back up and it's harder than ever to quit this time

I'm 36,
I know my man, I feel you. Today marks my longest stretch since October 2022( clean for 13 days) . This time has been harder than ever. Rn I don't even feel right, I've only slept 4 and a half hrs. My head hurts, but I think this is a rebound effect from gabapentinoid wd(which has been a godsend, but rn I feel so downregulated. Fok, I swear this is the last time I wanna go on iving myself for a period that fkn long. I've talked with my gf and decided that I'm a dangerous person(when I have money in my hands) and that I'm a bit fucking retarded after so many years of conditioning myself to go to the trap house when I have cash in my hands. So now I Give all of my money to her and have to ask as if she was my mommy. Oh well, it's working pretty well so far. Hope u find a light in ur life that gets u out of where u are brother, shooting up is no way to live, I really really do.
Much love,
Nico xx

Never shot up myself, but was on IV opioids in the hospital, and I still sometimes think of how pleasant it was. 25 years later.

I’ve lost my veins a number of times and regrown them. Both from IV use and later IV chemo drugs. IV chemotherapy makes shooting black tar heroin seem benign.

I remember towards the end of treatments, each day they had to find a new vein cuz only took a day for chemo to fry them.

What happens is your body utilizes small veins and reroutes until those small veins get bigger. Proper diet and lots of exercise is key to making it happen. Like my large vein in the crook of my arm has been replaced by one that goes along the top of my forearm. It took me a few years to regrow but it’s doable.

-GC

No, they never come Back as they used to Be. Some of The veins re-grow, but on different places and they are thinner. Those fat veins on palms, forearms, biceps etc, they never come Back as they used to Be, If you really fucked them and they are full of scar tissue. They just die and disappear for good, growing deeper and non-visible. If i knew this before i started to IV 2009, i would have Been much More careful and much More gentle with My veins. Nowadays i can't IV much, maybe once in two months with few shots to My wrists before those small veins swell and do not work anymore and i must wait until next Time (i IV only ketamine or oxycodone these days). Cathinones and meth and speed ruined My veins for good.

They were just commenting their thoughts and support, you clearly misread something and your condescension was kind of unwarranted and unnecessary.

Yeah, being addicted to the needle is no joke. Coming from someone that did it forever, there is no recovery after a certain point. You do permanent damage to your system. Yeah, that psychological part of the addiction sucks, but eventually, you get to the point where the pain outweighs any associated pleasure. Go through enough fucked up shit and mind/body hurting circumstances, and you'll be done with the needle. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I would recommend switching roa's as soon as possible if you want to have any kind of recovery. You say you've shot up everyday for years, and that's fine, but that's not sustainable no matter how many precautions you take. Snort your shit or smoke it. Boof it. Whatever. Get past the needle fetish, because it will destroy you sooner or later.

Vitamin E, and generally keeping the skin moisturized with lotions or whatever helps with the scarring, and staying hydrated and exercising helps with vein recovery. Once you "lose" them or collapse them, they are gone. Your body literally has to create new ones, and they will never be quite the same. Your body will not have the chance to do this if you continue injecting forever and don't give it a chance to recover.
Yeah I started iv'ing 20 years ago, but stopped for awhile, so id say I've been doin it about 15 years. I've went through a lot of fucked up shit, that's how I was able to quit the 1st time about 5 years ago. Didn't touch a needle for 3 years... But this time around I just don't really have any hope for a good life, and there's just nothing really that I think "man I need to quit for this thing, or I need to quit to be able to do that".. it's basically just "my life has sucked for almost 20 years, haven't ever really been happy that whole time. All my good friends I grew up with are dead and I don't really have anyone im close with or hang out with. Even my dog of 15 years died a lil over a year ago. I literally just got nothing, I work at a job I don't enjoy doing, just basically to be able to pay bills and exist".. Its just hard when u have no motivating factors in your life..
Sorry didn't mean to get all emo and poor me on ya, I literally never do that. I hate when ppl complain and act like everyone and everything is against them or out to get them. But idk I guess at some point you gotta let it out, thanks for listening to anyone who cares enough to have read this far into my poor me message lol

My apologies for my previous comment to you, obviously was having a bad day and in a mood or something. Sorry about that

Never shot up myself, but was on IV opioids in the hospital, and I still sometimes think of how pleasant it was. 25 years later.
That's how I got started. I got ran over by a car when I was 15, they had me on all kinds of pills, along with IV morphine, and IV Dilaudid. Everytime I felt that liquid touch my bloodstream it was like a warm blanket just got pulled over Me and id instantly slide off to sleep for a few hours till it was time for the next one. Had that every 3-4 hours(give or take an hour or 2 lol, was extremely out of it the whole time lol) for almost 3 weeks. When they cut me off of it I was straight pissed lol

I've known way more than 2 IV users. I was just using the two I mentioned as an example. That's what I meant- they'd go for anything that gives them that IV rush. I disagree about quitting opiates being harder than meth, you can take stuff for the physical withdrawals. But that's my personal opinion - I've never been hooked on opioids.

Probably a stupid thing that I'd like to take back about IV users being less "addicted".

Ok if you've actually collapsed a vein, that will never come back. Your body will do its level best to compensate for collapsed veins by re-routing, but those 'new' veins are fragile and easy to blow.

If you're already resorting to going in the groin you should really consider stopping with the IV. You don't need me to tell you that the artery is perilously close to the vein there, as well as a major nerve. Hit that by mistake and you can paralyse your leg.
If you're not ready to quit the needle consider switching to IM.
If you're STILL insisting on hitting that spot, I recommend getting a booklet called 'In the groin' which is published by Exchange Supplies and available as a download, which goes into detail about the safest and least damaging way to go about it.

Last edited:
I hate when ppl complain and act like everyone and everything is against them or out to get them. But idk I guess at some point you gotta let it out, thanks for listening to anyone who cares enough to have read this far into my poor me message lol
... Except sometimes you really DO have circumstances, both past and present, stacked against you, and life CAN be crushing. It's not whining or self-pity to feel like shit about that when it's a fact, mate.