• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Vegetable glycerin filtration issue

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
Creating Veg Glycerin E pen extract

I'm attempting to make a smokable e cig liquid out of vegetable glycerin and 1.5gs of bud. I'm well versed when it comes to making cannabis cooking oil and can make some really potent stuff.

My problem is, for this e cig fluid to be potent enough to use I need to reduce the amount of liquid down to ~>6 ml. I've done small cooks before where I soak 1.5gs of bud in a small amount of vegetable oil but it's always been more than 25ml. I'm stuck, I was thinking I soak ~.3gs at a time in a double boiler, in the small amount of glyercerin, then keep reusing the same filter and glycerin for the following rinses. Anyone attempt anything like this before?

Last edited:
It's not going to work with glycerin, not enough THC will dissolve in it to be worthwhile using in an e-cig. Propylene glycol could be better, but still difficult to use to extract. Easier to use another solvent (ethanol, isopropanol, butane...) to make oil, or some solvent free method (rosin, sifting, ice hash...). Then if you want to ruin an e-cig cartridge to get worse results than just vaping your hash you could try to dissolve it in some propylene glycol & glycerin.

fuck, well I'm going to look up some solubility numbers to see if you are right, unless you have some numbers for me. I figured vegetable glycerin was a more refined version of vegetable oil.

With an e-cig you're only getting tiny amounts in each puff, they're designed for very potent drugs like nicotine, so you'd need it to be a very strong solution which will likely gum up your e-cig. Glycerin has a higher boiling point than THC so you can't evaporate it off to make a stronger solution & it's just not going to hold that much THC anyway. It'll also attract water & extract other things from your buds than just THC, like chlorophyll. Propylene glycol might be a little more successful, but still not great. Doing another extraction on your cannabis & then mixing/dissolving the result of that extraction with propylene glycol & glycerin (70/30 is an often used ratio for nicotine e-cig juices) will be better, but it'll still likely be weak & likely to destroy your e-cig cartridge.

There are oil pens for vaping pure cannabis oil that look a lot like e-cigarettes, or there are herbal vaporizers (but the ones that look like e-cigs don't work for herb).

I think you should give up trying to use a glycerin extraction in an e-cig, you'd never get it strong enough to work. You can buy a hebe titan 2 herbal vaporizer for pocket money, stuff your herb in that, set the temperature & vape away, it's not a lot bigger than an e-cig, battery powered, pocket sized.

Last edited:
I've decarbed the bud so moisture and chlorophyll shouldn't be as much of a problem. I was thinking about doing an ISO extraction but wouldn't that pull just as much tar and other undesireables into the final product?

It'd pull some undesirables, but at least you'd be able to evaporate the iso & be left with a small amount of oil that would be easier to use. Butane or rosin technique should give a cleaner oil.

It'll be near to impossible to do a strong enough extraction from bud with glycerin, it wont dissolve the thc as well, it'll soak into the bud & there will be no easy way to reduce the amount of liquid after your extraction.

Best way is to forget about the e-cig & get a portable herb vaporizer instead.

Consider that 1ml of e-cig liquid provides around 100 large puffs & 10mg of THC is a light dose, your e-cig liquid is going to need to be a very high percentage THC to have any effect. It'll be a very thick liquid if you can get it strong enough too. I've heard of people mixing propylene glycol & butane honey oil at 50/50 and apparently that works, but it's still not too potent & I'm not sure how long the cartridge will last with such a thick liquid.

Last edited:
I just looked up the rosin extract and it looks pretty good. How does the rosin extract compare to ISO, butane extract or hash, Kief?

I haven't had chance to try rosin yet, but it looks like it should be better than most iso or kief & compare well with butane extracted oil. I expect it'll be similar to oil I reclaim from my vaporizers, which is top stuff.

Have a search for a Hebe Titan 2 herb vaporizer, they're cheap, you should find one for around $30-$50 in the USA. They don't look exactly like an e-cig, but nobody gives me a second look while I'm out using it. I can just pack it full of herb & use it to extract the oil straight into my lungs, no waste, no messing around, no smoke. Better portable herbal vaporizers are available if you want to spend more, but the Titan 2 is pretty great & a bargain, much better than messing around all day to break your e-cig.

well it's not for me, it's for a friend. I'm not sure if he will be willing to buy a whole new pen. I'm going to try this regardless since I have already committed to it. If it doesn't turn out good at least it was only 1.5 wasted.

You might be able to mix hash oil & propylene glycol at 1:1, then you could add a little glycerin to that mix to make it smoother, but it'll stil be a very thick mix that wont work great in an e-cig & wont be very strong either. It's likely to ruin his e-cig tank/wick/coil too.

I tried it with oil from my vaporizer, propylene glycol, glycerin & a few leaves (adding the leaves was a mistake). It was a thick cloudy mix that tasted bad, broke my e-cig cartridge & didn't get me stoned. Total waste. Tried it with glycerin first & the oil wouldn't dissolve until I added propylene glycol.

Last edited:
Maybe if the oil was left in a jar off vg for 6 months turning once a day it might take on more than thc

Maybe if the oil was left in a jar off vg for 6 months turning once a day it might take on more than thc

That wouldn't work, there's far more bud then there is oil so soaking for 6 months would just cause all the oil to be soaked into the bud, then comes the problem of how to get the oil out of the herb.

The issue isn't making a strong oil, it's about reduction of the final product to under 5-8ml.

Thought you was adding pure hash oil not bud but have heard it would work with bud too
Still trying to get a nice tasting vape made from bud

I mean if you made some nice oil then added that to you vg left till looks like it all mixed may that would be nice

I mean if you made some nice oil then added that to you vg left till looks like it all mixed may that would be nice

Yeah that would be nice but I'm trying to go from plain bud to vape-able liquid all on my own. Using wax would definitely work but that shits hard to come by and a little pricey.

A buddy of mine made this amazing vape hash oil. he used garbage bags of trim from a guy who grows and I believe it was with isopropyl alcohol. My god it does work I took two or three hits and I'm gone. I wish you good luck

Vegetable glycerin does not seem to be a very good solvent for cannabis extracts. If you have access to a high sheer homogenizer that runs at +30000rpms you can get something that won't separate for a couple weeks, but it will still separate. Heating the vg helps as well, but my results have still been suboptimal. A couple of companies make proprietary blends of propylene glycol and various polyethylene glycols (PEG) that dissolve concentrates pretty well even at a 1:1 (mL:grams) ratio but they aren't as smooth as vg on inhalation. I've tried to blend a solution of PG, PEG, & concentrate into vegetable glycerin (at 50°C) and it seemed to work pretty well but still separated in a few hours. I don't have a homogenizer & feel that would likely work better, but they are pricey.